Theology of hell

Oct 2019
USA
My understanding is that ultimately, hell is "eternal separation from God"; whether or not there is a "literal" fire (which to my knowledge, may have been more of a Catholic notion during ages past) is subordinate the torment of being separated from God for all eternity. What are your thoughts on this?

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
My understanding is that ultimately, hell is "eternal separation from God"; whether or not there is a "literal" fire (which to my knowledge, may have been more of a Catholic notion during ages past) is subordinate the torment of being separated from God for all eternity. What are your thoughts on this?
Would that not mean that I, as an Atheist, am already in hell?

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The concept of a Creator creating a place of eternal separation from "him," or even of "his" creating a state of eternal separation from "him" is preposterous on its face.

The omniscient, omnipotent, eternal God would have foreknowledge of hell when "he" commenced creating creation. So, the omniscient, omnipotent, eternal God deliberately created beings to be tormented for eternity.

Which is preposterous to its core.