Theology of hell

Oct 2019
USA
The concept of a Creator creating a place of eternal separation from "him," or even of "his" creating a state of eternal separation from "him" is preposterous on its face.

The omniscient, omnipotent, eternal God would have foreknowledge of hell when "he" commenced creating creation. So, the omniscient, omnipotent, eternal God deliberately created beings to be tormented for eternity.
And?

So they shouldn't have a choice to reign in heaven, or serve in hell?

They should be mindless, like the animals supposedly are, having no free will or say in the matter?

(This might be a source of criticism of Calvinism or determinism, though).

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
And?

So they shouldn't have a choice to reign in heaven, or serve in hell?

They should be mindless, like the animals supposedly are, having no free will or say in the matter?

(This might be a source of criticism of Calvinism or determinism, though).
And, a God who creates beings to be eternally tormented is a monster.

Punishment only has value as an adjunct to correcting behavior. You pick up a hot ember, it burns you, you learn not to pick up hot embers.

Eternal punishment has no value as an adjunct to learning correct behavior. Eternal punishment reeks of vengeance, a negative human trait incompatible with the teachings of Christ.

An omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal God who knowingly creates beings to eternally punish is a monster, an eternal Satan.

Jun 2018
Toronto

Punishment only has value as an adjunct to correcting behavior. You pick up a hot ember, it burns you, you learn not to pick up hot embers.

Eternal punishment has no value as an adjunct to learning correct behavior. Eternal punishment reeks of vengeance, a negative human trait incompatible with the teachings of Christ.

An omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal God who knowingly creates beings to eternally punish is a monster, an eternal Satan.

I just want here to interject that this is the catholic doctrine of punishment and vengeance. The catholic western church is actually much more fundamentalist and deviates from the orthodox original concepts very significantly.

The eastern orthodox concept is that you will not be punished, but you will "Miss the mark", the chance to be saved. That is why probably all religious militant crusades originated in the catholic west.

Reactions: imaginethat
Oct 2019
USA
According to what God, or standard of Goodness?

Arguments like this, tend to easily degenerate into nihilism or reducto ad absurdum, since ultimately one could use any example of evil or adversity in the universe to declare, God, or life as a whole as "monsterous".

But if everything is, then nothing is as well.

My argument is that the punishment is eternal separation from God. And that Christ did mention the concept of hell, but beyond that I won't comment on it.

Wouldn't it be evil to let a monster avoid hell?

I don't understand this logic - giving a person "free will" to separate themselves eternally from God is a different concept.

(In Calvinistic determinism, some are allegedly "born" elect and others not, so this could be used as a critique of Calvinism, but not of God or the idea of hell as a whole).

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I prefer not to think about it, I think it's bad luck.
So you don't know anyone with personal experience of being in hell and you have no personal testimony of hell. So based on your own definition of evidence, there's no good evidence hell exists.

Oct 2019
USA
So you don't know anyone with personal experience of being in hell and you have no personal testimony of hell. So based on your own definition of evidence, there's no good evidence hell exists.
Not according to me.