There is No Defending Late-term Abortion

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I know one woman who had a late term abortion. This was 20 years ago before genetic testing and ultrasounds were anywhere near the level they are today.

She was already six months along before the ultrasounds of the time were able to show that the fetus had no brain and that most of its internal organs had formed outside the body. One of the reasons it took so long to diagnose the problem is that the placenta had formed on the front wall of her uterus rather than the back. This made the fetus much more difficult to visualize.

It took another two months for her to jump through the legal hoops required by the hospital to terminate the pregnancy. It was a horrible experience for her. Two months of carrying a wanted child that had no chance of living. Two months of strangers congratulating her and asking 'what are you hoping for'. Well...less than two months actually. She got to the point that she stopped leaving the house except for doctors appointments. It was a heartbreaking time for her and her husband. Luckily, 'late term abortion' had not yet become the darling cause of the right wing so she didn't have to deal with protesters screaming at her and calling her a murderer outside of her doctors office.
Just a year an a half ago some friends of mine were expecting. They were excited as hell too. Couldn't wait to be parents. Then suddenly 7 1/2 months into the pregnancy, for reasons no one could ever explain, the baby's heart just stopped. The fetus just died. They were devastated. But there simply was no other choice. Either she had the abortion or she died.

May 2013
arkansas
Just a year an a half ago some friends of mine were expecting. They were excited as hell too. Couldn't wait to be parents. Then suddenly 7 1/2 months into the pregnancy, for reasons no one could ever explain, the baby's heart just stopped. The fetus just died. They were devastated. But there simply was no other choice. Either she had the abortion or she died.
Situations like that are horrible. I know one woman who lost her fetus a week before he was due because of a knot in the umbilical cord.

Nov 2018
Montana
I've posted it too many times to mention already, so I'll just add that the best explanation to men and women who do not or cannot bear children, to understand what you're asking of pregnant women was the thought exercise written by Colorado University ethicist- Judith Jarvis Thompson, simply titled "The Violinist." It may have played a role in leading the Supreme Court justices to really think about what they were doing before they made the Roe vs. Wade decision many years ago. Doesn't mean Roe is right...but at least back then they were trying! Instead of just reactively checking the ideological boxes that their supporters and benefactors wanted to hear!
I was not familiar with that argument. Thanks
Full article here:
Judith Jarvis Thomson: A Defense of Abortion

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The country would be a lot better off if these so-called pro-lifers would finally mind their own f*cking business.
You and I appear to be to be on the same side of the aisle on this topic, but I don't think "mind their f*cking business" is exactly a compelling argument. What if I beat my wife? Mind your f*cking business. What if I beat my children? Mind your f*cking business? What if impregnate dozens of women and pay all of them to have abortions? Mind your f*cking business.

Apr 2013
Left coast
You and I appear to be to be on the same side of the aisle on this topic, but I don't think "mind their f*cking business" is exactly a compelling argument. What if I beat my wife? Mind your f*cking business. What if I beat my children? Mind your f*cking business? What if impregnate dozens of women and pay all of them to have abortions? Mind your f*cking business.
You are attempting to conflagrate very separate things. If you beat your wife, I assume she didn't give consent. Same with the kids. That does make it society's business.

But if you impregnated dozens of women with their consent, and if you pay them to get abortions and they agree without coersion, then it is only their business.

Nov 2005
California
Leftists heads in the sand as if Gosnell’s house of horrors had never been exposed, as if no babies have ever survived abortions and been left to die cold and alone on a steel tray.
Gosnell was arrested, convicted and sentenced to three life sentences.
The system worked.

Was the point of you bringing up Gosnell to help show how the system with legalized abortion works?

“Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?”
I could spend a day googling and posting more examples, but I don’t have the stomach for it.
What a cop-out.... :rolleyes:

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
Fine, but beating your wife and children are crimes. What you do legally in your personal life and with your money is your business. Abortion, with certain limitations, has been legal everywhere in the U.S. since 1973.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Beating your wife and child interferes in someone else’s rights, therefore the state has a vested interest in making sure you don’t do that and punishing you if you are caught doing it.

If you impregnate dozens of women and pay for their abortions (assuming they consent to the sex and the abortion) no ones rights are being interfered with so you are correct, mind your own f*cking business.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The c
You are attempting to conflagrate very separate things. If you beat your wife, I assume she didn't give consent. Same with the kids. That does make it society's business.

But if you impregnated dozens of women with their consent, and if you pay them to get abortions and they agree without coersion, then it is only their business.
The counter arguments would be (again, I’m pro choice here)
1. For years society said what happened between a husband and a wife was only the business of th family. So what’s different with a husband saying “mind your business”
2. It’s not illegal to spank a child. It’s illegal to beat a child to a bloody pulp. Is it illegal to spark a child so hard it leaves a bruise? Is it illegal for a parent to make a child’s pick which switch they’d get beat with? Where is the line? (I have to say this argument in particular grossed me out so much, but I’m playing devils advocate here)
3. If I pay for dozens of abortions it certainly impacts the lives of the dozens of babies that won’t be born. If the women also tell their family about it, it could impact potentially hundreds of lives who know about it or were potentially hoping for a baby to be born.

I feel I have to say it for the forth time because I don’t want SJW jumping down my throat, but I lean pro choice. BUT taking the position to “mind your business” is same kind of arguments that allowed men to beat their wives and father beating their children.