There's No Bottom to How Low GOP Will Sink at This Point

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
This op/ed piece speaks for me - and many many people I know.
It's really no longer necessary - or even really fun - to point out or push home the outrageous, over-the-top, incredibly dishonesty and criminal activitiy of the fat orange turd Dear Bleater. It's been proven so often and regularly that it's just a given: he's a dishonest criminal.
But, the GOP leadership - and, sadly, many people I know and had respect for - seem to have no bottom to which they'll allow standards for the office of the President of the United States of America to sink. They are (it's no longer possible to use the phrase 'seem to be') willing to accept, endorse, even cheer, every lie, distortion, vile evil comment made and every criminal act and obstruction of justice committed.
How will we make it out of this? I mean - we'll make it through the fat orange turd's term - but how will we ever go back to respecting those people who have made it clear they have absolutely no respect for our nation's highest office? - or half of its citizens?

No bottom: Republicans show they’ll defend just about anything Trump does
XUIUD5TEZQI6TJUYFKHYBDE47M.jpg

By Paul Waldman
Opinion writer
April 22 at 12:34 PM

There’s a pattern that President Trump has followed many times when accused of wrongdoing. First, deny it. Then, when irrefutable proof emerges that you did it and your denials were lies, insist that there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. That’s how he handled the story of his hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels, the fact that he was pursuing a deal to build a tower in Moscow while running for president (“There would have been nothing wrong if I did do it”), and his campaign’s attempt to get damaging information on Hillary Clinton from a Russian lawyer (“totally legal and done all the time in politics”).

We’re seeing it anew. On Sunday, Rudolph W. Giuliani went on television and insisted: “There’s nothing wrong with taking information from Russians." This was in a context where that “information” was the result of an organized attack allegedly by Russian intelligence agents that included hacking into Democratic email systems.

That’s right: The president’s lawyer just issued an invitation to any foreign adversary — Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, the Islamic State, anyone — that if they decide that one American presidential candidate would be more favorable to their interests, they should go ahead and hack, spy or use whatever other kind of means they want to employ to sway the election, and their efforts will be welcomed.

That alone is shocking and despicable. But it’s just one part of a larger Republican argument, one that says not that Trump did some unfortunate things but nothing that would justify prosecution or impeachment, but instead that he is completely blameless because there is no such thing as unethical conduct if committed by Trump.

As we grapple with the fallout from the Mueller report, this is not only the position Trump and his aides are taking. It’s the position of the entire Republican Party, not just for the specific misconduct detailed in the report but for the whole of the Trump presidency. The GOP has embraced utter and complete moral nihilism.

read more: No bottom: Republicans show they’ll defend just about anything Trump does

Apr 2014
redacted
Just further proof of the self-destruction of the Republican party. Sad.

OTOH, the Democrats shouldn't clap for joy since whatever rises out of the ashes may be worse. :)

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
Every month that goes by gets us closer to the end of the reign of terror. I wonder if that's what American voters were saying during the Civil War, the Depression, WWII, the Civil Rights and/or the Vietnam War? I watched the Nixon/Watergate in real time but even during that I had faith in our system and it worked eventually. I can't help but compare and contrast the two presidents---so many similarities. At least Nixon wasn't bragging about grabbing p***y.

I often wonder why the same party (GOP) doesn't see the similarities. Nixon's supporters. Bob Haldeman? Who plays Bob in our current day production? The protector and secret holder.
Who plays John Dean?
John Mitchell?
This quote is from 1974--after the fact. See if it sounds familiar:
It was not merely that Mr. Nixon was ruthless. Most successful politicians have a capacity for ruthlessness that compares nicely with the high standards set by private industry. It was not only that Richard Nixon was petty, ungenerous, somewhat bigoted, and monumentally cynical. It is that he was a liar and a deceiver, a man who did not keep his word.

See. We've seen this show before. AND it gets better.

"But the Nixon School of Lying was erected on the premise that people will hear what they want to hear, and all you have to do is give them something, some minimally committing murmur which will seem to deny what they shrink from asserting, some palliating remark which will seem to declare what they find repugnant to deny."
AND at a certain point, all these strong, dedicated men cried. Every one of them cried because Nixon was going down and taking "innocent men" with him. I'm not so sure that will be the case with Trump. Do you think his cult will cry--his last day in office?

Note: Quotations of White House transcripts throughout this article are as they appear in the Submission of Recorded Presidential Conversations To the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives by President Richard Nixon, April 30, 1974, printed by the Government Printing Office. In several places I have changed the punctuation supplied by the transcribers to conform to the meaning of what was said.
By George Higgens
The Friends of Richard Nixon

Apr 2014
redacted
Every month that goes by gets us closer to the end of the reign of terror. I wonder if that's what American voters were saying during the Civil War, the Depression, WWII, the Civil Rights and/or the Vietnam War? I watched the Nixon/Watergate in real time but even during that I had faith in our system and it worked eventually. I can't help but compare and contrast the two presidents---so many similarities. At least Nixon wasn't bragging about grabbing p***y.

I often wonder why the same party (GOP) doesn't see the similarities. Nixon's supporters. Bob Haldeman? Who plays Bob in our current day production? The protector and secret holder.
Who plays John Dean?
John Mitchell?
This quote is from 1974--after the fact. See if it sounds familiar:
It was not merely that Mr. Nixon was ruthless. Most successful politicians have a capacity for ruthlessness that compares nicely with the high standards set by private industry. It was not only that Richard Nixon was petty, ungenerous, somewhat bigoted, and monumentally cynical. It is that he was a liar and a deceiver, a man who did not keep his word.

See. We've seen this show before. AND it gets better.

"But the Nixon School of Lying was erected on the premise that people will hear what they want to hear, and all you have to do is give them something, some minimally committing murmur which will seem to deny what they shrink from asserting, some palliating remark which will seem to declare what they find repugnant to deny."
AND at a certain point, all these strong, dedicated men cried. Every one of them cried because Nixon was going down and taking "innocent men" with him. I'm not so sure that will be the case with Trump. Do you think his cult will cry--his last day in office?

Note: Quotations of White House transcripts throughout this article are as they appear in the Submission of Recorded Presidential Conversations To the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives by President Richard Nixon, April 30, 1974, printed by the Government Printing Office. In several places I have changed the punctuation supplied by the transcribers to conform to the meaning of what was said.
By George Higgens
The Friends of Richard Nixon
If you were around for Nixon, then you know the turmoil the nation was in during those days. We were ten times closer to civil war then then we are now. What we are seeing on television and, mostly, the Internet now is 99% pure bullshit. Entertainment. We have PT Barnum as President and a bunch of circus clowns in Congress. Nothing to fret about.

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
Feb 2007
USA
Well, if you ask me, the Republican Party, or any political party for that matter, can always be trusted to downwardly dig themselves out of an even deeper hole...that they will sink in. All their members have to do is forget why they are in office and only tow, so to speak, their party line.

Sep 2018
KC, MO
Extreme Opines On These Boards
Is Not A Reflection Of The Real World
Dems Better Listen To Pelosi's Pleas Of Moderation
And Get To Issues Of We The People
Or Dems Get Trounced In 2020

All This Extreme Nastiness And Propaganda From The Left
Resulting In The Goose Egg Mueller Report
Looks Like The Destruction Of The Democrat's Party
And It's Obvious What Will Rise From It's Ashes

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Yeah, nor do i remember anyone being so openly disrespectful to a sitting POTUS but hey...what are leftists if not hypocrites.
Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?

I don't recall any sitting president as disrespectful as this one.

Reactions: catus felis