Things that Divide Us

Mar 2013
Britton, SD
Something I experience with some of our First Nations people. They were outwardly hostile towards "the whiteman" because we had our nice new cars and colored televisions and nice homes, but were totally blind to the fact that we slugged our way through school, suffered asshole bosses to gain job experience and "paid our dues" to get where we were. They seemed to think they should just be effortlessly transported to that position in life. I don't know how you fight that.
...I spent 3 months in BC fishing last year and the first nations people were nothing but nice to me...Even let me fish on their land for free while they were charging other tourists out the ass (but don't tell anyone)...And I drive a pretty bad ass truck...

Apr 2013
La La Land North
...I spent 3 months in BC fishing last year and the first nations people were nothing but nice to me...Even let me fish on their land for free while they were charging other tourists out the ass (but don't tell anyone)...And I drive a pretty bad ass truck...
I was very careful to say "some" think that way. I have lived in Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. The First Nations around the lower mainland as the area around Vancouver is called, and along the coast have relatively prosperous FN peoples and they don't fit this mold. In parts of Sask, Alta and to a lesser extent BC there are very poor FN peoples and that is where you see many of these attitudes. But Canada's FN situation is somewhat complex, maybe worthy of a thread itself if I ever feel motivated to write a tome to start it off.