This Country Is Tearing Apart At The Very Seams

Nov 2012
nirvana
How did this country get to the fractured, broken place that we currently find ourselves in?
I know part of the answer to that question involves Trump, but it’s far more than just that. It’s much deeper and has been in the works for much longer than the political prominence of Donald J. It goes back decades. It’s the legacy of toxic nativism, hateful racism, know-nothingism and general selfish assholishness. There is a strain of person in this country that are frankly dumber than a stump and arrogant about it. Removing Trump either by a vote in the Senate or during the election won’t remove these people, they’re with us to stay.
And that’s a problem, a big problem.

Reactions: imaginethat
Dec 2015
Arizona
How did this country get to the fractured, broken place that we currently find ourselves in?
I know part of the answer to that question involves Trump, but it’s far more than just that. It’s much deeper and has been in the works for much longer than the political prominence of Donald J. It goes back decades. It’s the legacy of toxic nativism, hateful racism, know-nothingism and general selfish assholishness. There is a strain of person in this country that are frankly dumber than a stump and arrogant about it. Removing Trump either by a vote in the Senate or during the election won’t remove these people, they’re with us to stay.
And that’s a problem, a big problem.

It should come as no surprise that we are divided. History repeats itself. We are no more divided now than we have been at other junctures in our past. We are a huge dysfunctional family trying to coexist in a very large HOME. We have disagreements. We have different goals. We come from different lifestyles, religions, races---so naturally, we don't see eye-to-eye. America is a messy place. Democracy is a messy business.

We've lived through some horrendous times--WARS at home and abroad. Corrupt presidents and lawmakers. We've dealt with unprincipled, deceitful, greedy corporations. We've recovered from every natural disaster you can think of. We've been dealt some pretty lousy cards--lost and then won.

When Trump is gone (and he WILL be gone) we'll begin the recovery process all over again. AND at some point in history--probably long after I'm gone--the country will look back and wonder HOW and WHY all this ever happened. The pundits will sift through the confusion.

We're still here, my friends. Hug your kids and your spouse. Say a prayer of thanks to the gods and hope for better days. Show some kindness to strangers. Pay it forward and we'll be just fine.

Nov 2012
nirvana
It should come as no surprise that we are divided. History repeats itself. We are no more divided now than we have been at other junctures in our past. We are a huge dysfunctional family trying to coexist in a very large HOME. We have disagreements. We have different goals. We come from different lifestyles, religions, races---so naturally, we don't see eye-to-eye. America is a messy place. Democracy is a messy business.

We've lived through some horrendous times--WARS at home and abroad. Corrupt presidents and lawmakers. We've dealt with unprincipled, deceitful, greedy corporations. We've recovered from every natural disaster you can think of. We've been dealt some pretty lousy cards--lost and then won.

When Trump is gone (and he WILL be gone) we'll begin the recovery process all over again. AND at some point in history--probably long after I'm gone--the country will look back and wonder HOW and WHY all this ever happened. The pundits will sift through the confusion.

We're still here, my friends. Hug your kids and your spouse. Say a prayer of thanks to the gods and hope for better days. Show some kindness to strangers. Pay it forward and we'll be just fine.
Oh That's right Clara. Take the positive side of things. Another perfectly good post of cynicism down the drain.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

I would disagree. Currently, looking at Trump and the Trump effect, Brexit and the Brexit fallout, the situation in many European and South American countries it appears to me that the western world is more divided today than I can ever remember it being. I have my own theories as to the cause of this hard drift away from compromise but that it has happened and is worsening is something I am sure of.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I would disagree. Currently, looking at Trump and the Trump effect, Brexit and the Brexit fallout, the situation in many European and South American countries it appears to me that the western world is more divided today than I can ever remember it being. I have my own theories as to the cause of this hard drift away from compromise but that it has happened and is worsening is something I am sure of.
You think our situation now is worse than the Civil War years from 1861-1865?
The stock market crash of 1929?
The internment camps of 1942 and the 400,000 men who died in WWII?
The dropping of the bomb 1945 in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
The 1960s? Vietnam, Civil Rights and the assassinations of John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Martin Luther King?
The attack of the Twin Towers and Pentagon 9/11? 3000 dead?
McCarthyism? Dred Scott decision? The Trail of Tears/Massacre of Indian women and children?

Trump is ONE MAN who will be defined by either 4 or 8 years of public service (if you can call it that). Thousands are NOT dying or enslaved or bombed or massacred. There's no plague that can't be cured--no financial crash--and so far NO assassination.
We're divided. Not destroyed. So....I'd say we're doin' pretty good.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The 1960s? Vietnam, Civil Rights and the assassinations of John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Martin Luther King?
McCarthyism? Dred Scott decision? The Trail of Tears/Massacre of Indian women and children?

Trump is ONE MAN who will be defined by either 4 or 8 years of public service (if you can call it that). Thousands are NOT dying or enslaved or bombed or massacred. There's no plague that can't be cured--no financial crash--and so far NO assassination.
I might give you the Civil War, not having a good handle on what the average northerner thought of the average southerner and vica versa. But the others, no, I don't think they reached the point we are at now.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Just another gathering of lunatics spinning their echo chamber in hopes of keeping each other from slipping into the abyss of total madness. All this mutual one-up hyping of their fantasyland view of the world is bound to insure their slip is completed.

May 2018
none

The key is to talk to people we know. My dad voted for Trump last time. After I showed him what this administration has done and is doing to gay people, he was horrified. Since he is the father of a gay son, he told me he cannot vote for Trump again, and assured me he won't. Information and communication is how we get this done and get Trump out. It was hard for me to share these things with my dad. We can't be afraid to let people we know and other loved ones know how this administration is affecting us.

Dec 2018
New England
More than any other factor, IMO, it's the intellectual intolerance of the left. Their ability to agreeably disagree atrophied long, long ago.

I heard it said recently that the difference between the political poles is now this: conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas; liberals think conservatives are bad people with ideas. This gets truer by the day, IMO.