This looks too much like we're not in America any more.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Ben Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
He had a point which goes vastly overlooked these days...

Yes, foundit66 thank you.

I know people tire of me speaking of the change in education, but really people, that is where this neglect of our liberty and lack of morality begins. Amoral education for technology is not education for a desirable civilization, and no computers are not a good replacement for humans. Humans programmed to function of like computers programmed to follow orders without question, is not education for democracy. Sarolea wrote of his concern about how Germans obeyed authority, without question, in this pre WWII book "The Anglo German Problem" and this problem begins with education.

In school, don't kiss and don't defend yourself or do anything other than rely on authority! Education is doing your best to function as a computer, not to live as a human with responsibility, dignity and honor. :D And don't listen to the music of Portugal that Avilis may share because the music could ignite your desire to be human and have liberty.

Reactions: foundit66
Feb 2014
Oregon
"This looks too much like we're not in America any more."

Well, certainly not in the one I grew up in. That's why I left long ago...

"My country, right or wrong". I don't think so.

View attachment 7686
Our young can not experience the country we had and education lead them to believe their elders are old fashioned and out dated and that the future of our country rest with the young, prepare for a technological society with unknown values. We gave our children to the state, and what they were education for is what we defended our democracy against in two world wars. Parents can not compete with such an education system and I don't think the young are headed for a better future. They think computers and robots are a good replacement for humans. That is sad. Corporate America loves them as men and women live for their careers, and family is something of the primitive past.

Reactions: Manny Simms
Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
Our young can not experience the country we had and education lead them to believe their elders are old fashioned and out dated and that the future of our country rest with the young, prepare for a technological society with unknown values. We gave our children to the state, and what they were education for is what we defended our democracy against in two world wars. Parents can not compete with such an education system and I don't think the young are headed for a better future. They think computers and robots are a good replacement for humans. That is sad. Corporate America loves them as men and women live for their careers, and family is something of the primitive past.

Yes indeed. The school system in your country tells kids what their values should be and how they should act. Now, let's send them overseas to get maimed and killed so the bankers can profit. What a country.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Yes indeed. The school system in your country tells kids what their values should be and how they should act. Now, let's send them overseas to get maimed and killed so the bankers can profit. What a country.
I believe values should be taught. I am having a huge problem with the cultural change we have had and neglect of the values I think are important, such as not having children out of wedlock and not having a sense of family values, and not understanding what morals have to do with liberty and democracy.

I have a huge problem with lack of morals leading to social problems such as homelessness, a President who would cut most low income programs and wants to pour money into a police state, the new real ID cards and increased governmental ability to control the movement of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manny Simms
Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
I believe values should be taught. I am having a huge problem with the cultural change we have had and neglect of the values I think are important, such as not having children out of wedlock and not having a sense of family values, and not understanding what morals have to do with liberty and democracy.

I have a huge problem with lack of morals leading to social problems such as homelessness, a President who would cut most low income programs and wants to pour money into a police state, the new real ID cards and increased governmental ability to control the movement of people.
I blame the parents. THEY'RE supposed to raise their kids, not the schools.

blame1.jpg

Feb 2014
Oregon
And how are the parents to know what to teach their children? I have a copy of the 1917 Nation Education Association conference. Back then we were preparing for the first world war and the big concerns were Americanizing immigrants who were experiencing democracy for the first time, and also to mobilize our nation for war to defend our democracy. Can we focus on the importance of culture and what culture has to do with liberty and democracy, or the lack of both, and what education has to do with defending our liberty and liberty? Christianity is about a kingdom, not a democracy, and leaving moral training to the training to the church as we didn't in 1958 was a terrible mistake!

Jan 2020
Congo Free State, Africa
And how are the parents to know what to teach their children? I have a copy of the 1917 Nation Education Association conference. Back then we were preparing for the first world war and the big concerns were Americanizing immigrants who were experiencing democracy for the first time, and also to mobilize our nation for war to defend our democracy. Can we focus on the importance of culture and what culture has to do with liberty and democracy, or the lack of both, and what education has to do with defending our liberty and liberty? Christianity is about a kingdom, not a democracy, and leaving moral training to the training to the church as we didn't in 1958 was a terrible mistake!
Ah, modern parents. Avoiding responsibility for the last 50 years. There ARE exceptions, maybe 9.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Ah, modern parents. Avoiding responsibility for the last 50 years. There ARE exceptions, maybe 9.
That reply is part of the problem! Think about it. Something happened in the 80 tys and we declared a national youth crisis. I would say part of the something is the huge change in education that effective slipped control of the young away from the parents, and also Reagan and the following shift in wealth in power, along with serious recessions that have been devastating to individuals and families.