This still puzzles me

Mar 2010
north east usa
why is atheism, state You are subscribed to this thread Atheism in the religion section

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Theism is a belief in a God...it is a religious belief.

Atheism is simply the rejection of the theistic claim.

It is in the religion forum because is it is the response to a religious claim.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2016
Canada
what is the view of Atheism
as to why we die
That is the nature of the universe we live in. Everything that has come into existence will flourish for a time and then die or disappear...even the universe itself!

Stars last for billions of years...until they run out of elements that can keep a fusion reaction going, and either go supernova or turn into a brown dwarf if they're smaller. Our planet Earth has an estimated 500 million years left before the life support systems of the biosphere begin to fail and life comes to an end...and that's assuming that the scourge presently known as the human race doesn't degrade and destroy all the living systems on this planet in the near future, including ourselves!

So, in the end, fear of death is the primary fuel for belief in God...at least until the worshipers of technology decide they can download their "consciousness" on to some sort of computer system. And that new mythology will replace traditional religions!

Dec 2015
Arizona
why is atheism, state You are subscribed to this thread Atheism in the religion section

Good question. Atheism is not exactly a religion, but it is a belief in something--a belief in no gods or supernatural beings. One of the definitions of religion is:
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
Ergo, an atheist believes in no god, no afterlife, and that the material universe is all that is real. That is their pursuit/interest of supreme importance.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Good question. Atheism is not exactly a religion, but it is a belief in something--a belief in no gods or supernatural beings. One of the definitions of religion is:
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
Ergo, an atheist believes in no god, no afterlife, and that the material universe is all that is real. That is their pursuit/interest of supreme importance.
No, atheism is NOT a belief in something.

It is the rejection a of belief...a HUGE difference.

I can tell you that my real name is Hugo Barnstomper III.

Now either you believe that...or you do not believe it...or you believe that is not true.

The last two are not the same thing.

Dec 2015
Arizona
No, atheism is NOT a belief in something.

It is the rejection a of belief...a HUGE difference.

I can tell you that my real name is Hugo Barnstomper III.

Now either you believe that...or you do not believe it...or you believe that is not true.

The last two are not the same thing.

Hmmm....well what if it's a belief in not believing?? LOL

What if I believe that YOU believe that your name is Hugo Barnstomper III, but I choose to ignore your legal name (whatever it is) and call you "Barney"..?
Okay. Maybe not the same thing, right??

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Hmmm....well what if it's a belief in not believing?? LOL

What if I believe that YOU believe that your name is Hugo Barnstomper III, but I choose to ignore your legal name (whatever it is) and call you "Barney"..?
Okay. Maybe not the same thing, right??
I believe that people that believe in God actually believe in God.

That doesn't change the fact that I DON'T believe in God (which is different then believing there is no God)