This Was The Decade Drug Overdoses Killed Nearly Half A Million Americans

Feb 2006
California
It was also the decade we finally started treating drug addiction like a disease, spurred by an overdose epidemic that ravaged white, rural America.

Prince. Tom Petty. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Men and women, young and old, rich and poor. Maybe someone you knew or loved.

All gone, among the 467,000 drug overdose deaths in the US counted so far this decade, with another 67,000 more that will likely be added to that staggering total when this year ends. The epidemic has overtaken both car crashes and gun violence as leading causes of deaths nationwide, and it now causes far more deaths every year than AIDS did at its peak.

US drug overdose deaths in this decade exceed the number of battle deaths the country suffered in World War I and World War II combined. And they played a pivotal role in the politics that made Donald Trump president.

Have you come across evidence of corruption, crime, or wrongdoing? Do you believe members of the public are being harmed, exploited, or misled? Investigative journalism relies on people who have the courage to blow the whistle when they come across evidence of serious wrongdoing. A great tip will provide specific evidence of wrongdoing — not just a hunch, speculation, or personal grievance. Often, documentation is what sets a tip apart from a hunch: Do you have memos or videos or records that show some powerful person, company, or government agency abusing their powers, such as fleecing people of money or causing bodily or emotional harm?

1575938134474.png

1575938264229.png

Reactions: se7en
May 2018
none
I think this issue has touched everyone. I think things are finally being done to stop this. This is probably the only issue on which I can agree with Trump:

I will give credit when it is due.

Feb 2006
California
I think this issue has touched everyone. I think things are finally being done to stop this. This is probably the only issue on which I can agree with Trump:

I will give credit when it is due.
They must be pissed!

Health companies gave generously to President Trump’s inauguration

Facing acute risks to their businesses from Washington, D.C., policymakers, health companies spent more than $2 million to buy access to the incoming Trump administration via candlelight dinners, black-tie balls and other U.S. presidential inauguration events, new filings show.

Drugmaker Pfizer gave $1 million to help finance the inauguration, according to documents filed with the U.S. Federal Election Commission. Amgen, another pharmaceutical company, donated $500,000. Health insurers Anthem, Centene and Aetna all gave six-figure contributions.

They joined a surge of corporate donors from multiple industries to break inauguration-finance records even as then-President-elect Donald Trump promised to “drain the swamp” of Washington influence-peddling.

But the stakes for the health industry were especially high as the new administration prepared to take power.

Two weeks before Pfizer’s donation, Trump told Time magazine, “I’m going to bring down drug prices.” At the same time, one of his top goals was repealing Obamacare — the Affordable Care Act — and its billions in subsidies for insurance companies and hospitals.

Also writing checks for the inauguration were drugmaker Abbott Laboratories, drug wholesaler Caremark, insurer MetLife and Managed Care of North America, a dental benefits manager.

Trump’s inaugural committee raised $107 million, more than twice as much as for any previous presidential investiture. President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration held the previous record of $53 million.

Obama banned corporate donations that year and limited individual donations to $50,000 but accepted corporate grants for his 2013 inauguration.

Once a playboy, Republican frontrunner now laments Christianity under attack; set to host evangelical pastors next week for prayer session

1575942706934.png

May 2018
none
They must be pissed!

Health companies gave generously to President Trump’s inauguration

Facing acute risks to their businesses from Washington, D.C., policymakers, health companies spent more than $2 million to buy access to the incoming Trump administration via candlelight dinners, black-tie balls and other U.S. presidential inauguration events, new filings show.

Drugmaker Pfizer gave $1 million to help finance the inauguration, according to documents filed with the U.S. Federal Election Commission. Amgen, another pharmaceutical company, donated $500,000. Health insurers Anthem, Centene and Aetna all gave six-figure contributions.

They joined a surge of corporate donors from multiple industries to break inauguration-finance records even as then-President-elect Donald Trump promised to “drain the swamp” of Washington influence-peddling.

But the stakes for the health industry were especially high as the new administration prepared to take power.

Two weeks before Pfizer’s donation, Trump told Time magazine, “I’m going to bring down drug prices.” At the same time, one of his top goals was repealing Obamacare — the Affordable Care Act — and its billions in subsidies for insurance companies and hospitals.

Also writing checks for the inauguration were drugmaker Abbott Laboratories, drug wholesaler Caremark, insurer MetLife and Managed Care of North America, a dental benefits manager.

Trump’s inaugural committee raised $107 million, more than twice as much as for any previous presidential investiture. President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration held the previous record of $53 million.

Obama banned corporate donations that year and limited individual donations to $50,000 but accepted corporate grants for his 2013 inauguration.

Once a playboy, Republican frontrunner now laments Christianity under attack; set to host evangelical pastors next week for prayer session

View attachment 6603
There is no reason to take this off-topic. Like I said I give credit where it is due. This is possibly the only good thing Trump has done. Let's be OK with it. I have always said that if Trump does something I agree with, I will say so. You should too. This issue should not be political. Please don't try to make it political. It's too important.

Last edited:
Feb 2006
California
CNN, December 21) More than 63,600 lives were lost to drug overdose in 2016, the most lethal year yet of the drug overdose epidemic, according to a new report from the National Center for Health Statistics, part of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Most of those deaths involved opioids, a family of painkillers including illicit heroin and fentanyl as well as legally prescribed medications such as oxycodone and hydrocodone. In 2016 alone, 42,249 US drug fatalities -- 66% of the total -- involved opioids, the report says. That's over a thousand more than the 41,070 Americans who die from breast cancer every year. Read more.

Feb 2006
California
There is no reason to take this off-topic. Like I said I give credit where it is due. This is possibly the only good thing Trump has done. Let's be OK with it. I have always said that if Trump does something I agree with, I will say so. You should too. This issue should not be political. Please don't try to make it political. It's too important.
So if the fact that you agree with trump he become's good in your eyes then reality should go away?

In 2015, deaths related to drug overdose surged to newer heights in each of the 50 states in the United States. In absolute count, the deaths were tallied 52,404. The abuse of prescription painkillers and heroin are observed as the causative agents as per CDC statistics.

Nearly nine thousand six hundred lives were lost due to the usage of synthetic opioids, including illicit fentanyl. Drugs such as Oxycontin and Vicodin accounted for 17500+ deaths in the year under purview.

Astonishingly, deaths caused by overdosing of drugs now outnumber deaths related to car crashes and gun violence which are approximately 38K and 36K in the United States respectively. The rise in death toll due to drug overdoses in combination with deaths due to heart-related ailments brought down the life expectancy of people living in the US, for the first time in 2015 in more than 20 years.

In the period between 2010 and 2015, nearly 300K Americans have lost their lives to drug overdoses.

Dr. Robert Glatter says the number of cases difficult to resuscitate has increased exponentially. Most physicians concur and suspect synthetic opiates as the causative agent.

According to Emily Feinstein, director of health law and policy for the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, fentanyl, a synthetic opioid manufactured in China, is now widely available within the country. Not only the drug is powerful, it is also sold at a cheaper price than heroin. The addiction to painkillers leads victims to heroin when the access to painkillers are cut down by enforcing authorities.

The researchers and people in the know lists the ten deadly drugs currently present within United States are as follows: heroin (23 percent of overdose deaths); cocaine (12.4 percent); oxycodone, (11.5 percent); alprazolam/Xanax (9 percent); fentanyl (8.9 percent); morphine (8.5 percent); methamphetamine (7.9 percent); methadone (7.4 percent); hydrocodone/Vicodin (7 percent); and diazepam/Valium (3.7 percent).

1575945639359.png

But compared to what? Swimming pools kill people. Horseback riding kills people. And yes, even childbirth kills people. (Does that mean we should criminalize getting pregnant?)

To make any sense of death statistics, we have to ask, "Compared to what?" Because if we compare deaths by firearms to other causes of death, the picture is very, very different from the doomsday fear mongering scenarios CNN and other gun control pushers have whipped up into a nationwide frenzy. In fact, as the following infographic shows, doctors kill 2,450% more Americans than all gun-related deaths combined.