Thought provoking talk on millenials

Feb 2007
New York
Yeah, I've done my part, daughter is all grown up and in college. Studies economics and finance, wants to become an yuppie in the financial district ...

:)

Much more focused than me at her age.
It sounds like you and I were raised our kids and similar manner or so. My youngest just graduated from college as a marine biologist and is doing different internships currently. She is not afraid to get in and do the work it takes to get the notice of the rescues that she wants to work for.

I haven’t seen that driven behavior amongst a lot of her peers. Her social group, generally yes because she tends to hang with kids like herself, but outside of that I see a lot of young people that grumble about not being supervisor yet or not being higher up when they haven’t put in any time yet.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
It sounds like you and I were raised our kids and similar manner or so. My youngest just graduated from college as a marine biologist and is doing different internships currently. She is not afraid to get in and do the work it takes to get the notice of the rescues that she wants to work for.

I haven’t seen that driven behavior amongst a lot of her peers. Her social group, generally yes because she tends to hang with kids like herself, but outside of that I see a lot of young people that grumble about not being supervisor yet or not being higher up when they haven’t put in any time yet.
OH, so it's other peoples kids.

God Bless.

Feb 2007
New York
OH, so it's other peoples kids.

God Bless.
Well, my kids are great but I don’t anticipate that there any more perfect than any other human being. I’m just very well aware of what I see amongst children that were required to learn things like patience and kids that were not. Kids whose parents were there buddies and kids whose parents were there parents.

And regardless of what and where you’d like to think about it, yes, sometimes the problem is other people’s kids. When my kids are sitting in speaking quietly at a restaurant and other kids are running around the restaurant and not being handled by their parents, the problem is other people’s kids.

Last edited:
Jun 2018
Toronto

Well, in her late teens I think a lot of influence had these business shows on Netflix like Suits and The Good Wife etc. When I was young I wanted to be like Rambo and Luke Skywalker.

She wants to be a business person like them :)

Dec 2015
Arizona
It has nothing to do with loving or hating anybody. I'm guessing you also have not had to deal much with millennials in the work force. They're not equipped to do the work, not even close. Even worse, many lack the patience to do what's necessary to learn their professions. Many think they should just instantly be able to get what they want. Life simply doesn't work that way.

This has more to do with how we're failing younger people. Where do you think they learned all these attitudes?

I have taught with Millens and am in touch with several I taught in school years ago. They are grown, married and have kids of their own. They work, volunteer, coach soccer, own homes, rent....some have masters and PhDs in various areas. Some are teachers/professors, but........they are NOT interested in the almighty dollar or corporate success.
They just think differently. I'm not sure why, but they do. Maybe they have seen what raw ambition looks like and decided "NOPE--that's not for me."

Again, I don't like generalizations and stereotypes. Not all Millennials are failing and to answer your question, I think they learned these attitudes by watching what this world has become and they don't like it. To be honest, neither do I and I'm an OLD BOOMER.

Mar 2017
Massachusetts
I have taught with Millens and am in touch with several I taught in school years ago. They are grown, married and have kids of their own. They work, volunteer, coach soccer, own homes, rent....some have masters and PhDs in various areas. Some are teachers/professors, but........they are NOT interested in the almighty dollar or corporate success.
They just think differently. I'm not sure why, but they do. Maybe they have seen what raw ambition looks like and decided "NOPE--that's not for me."

Again, I don't like generalizations and stereotypes. Not all Millennials are failing and to answer your question, I think they learned these attitudes by watching what this world has become and they don't like it. To be honest, neither do I and I'm an OLD BOOMER.
Then perhaps you understand what it is for the ones who aren't volunteers, coaches, homeowners or teachers. What is the worth of a man really? Is it the principle of the corporate climb? Is it content with the kind of participation in a society that failed them that you're so proud of? How much do you really know those kids Clara? How do you think they'll react as the world continues to worsen? I imagine you tell yourself that you did a good job, that they'd see things as you do, or at the very least try and manage it all in the kind of timid and milquetoast manner one would expect from those who managed to scrape something together after such a rough hand, but you'd be wrong. I know them, my brothers and sisters. I know that there is something terrifying lurking just below the surface. I know that all those things you're so proud of don't define them; they are the things that placate them. That is the fundamental difference that you ostensibly recognize Clara. They're not like you, and when push comes to shove, you will understand that. You'll be disappointed in time, I promise you.

May 2018
Chicago

Thinking differently is fine, I don't think we're hearing each other. What I'm talking about is that we're seeing a lot of kids come in who lack almost all technical skills for their field and expect to succeed. In fact, they feel entitled to it. Well, I'm sorry, but you would not let a doctor perform surgery if they didn't have the skills and hadn't gone through the education-the same applies to any other profession. You have to gain the skills and do the work first.