Thought provoking talk on millenials

Apr 2013
Left coast
Pardon me for being a bit elitist, but as a generalization, members on a forum like this are more apt to be active in a number of ways, including guiding their children. Look at a list of top TV shows in Canada or the US. I keep going back to the time when American Idol was #1 and American Idol reruns was #2. These people are not going to be doing that.

As a generalization, that guy in the video is mostly right.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Then perhaps you understand what it is for the ones who aren't volunteers, coaches, homeowners or teachers. What is the worth of a man really? Is it the principle of the corporate climb? Is it content with the kind of participation in a society that failed them that you're so proud of? How much do you really know those kids Clara? How do you think they'll react as the world continues to worsen? I imagine you tell yourself that you did a good job, that they'd see things as you do, or at the very least try and manage it all in the kind of timid and milquetoast manner one would expect from those who managed to scrape something together after such a rough hand, but you'd be wrong. I know them, my brothers and sisters. I know that there is something terrifying lurking just below the surface. I know that all those things you're so proud of don't define them; they are the things that placate them. That is the fundamental difference that you ostensibly recognize Clara. They're not like you, and when push comes to shove, you will understand that. You'll be disappointed in time, I promise you.

What nonsense.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Thinking differently is fine, I don't think we're hearing each other. What I'm talking about is that we're seeing a lot of kids come in who lack almost all technical skills for their field and expect to succeed. In fact, they feel entitled to it. Well, I'm sorry, but you would not let a doctor perform surgery if they didn't have the skills and hadn't gone through the education-the same applies to any other profession. You have to gain the skills and do the work first.

I'm hearing you just fine, Lee. We are obviously seeing/interacting with very different people.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
And regardless of what and where you’d like to think about it, yes, sometimes the problem is other people’s kids. When my kids are sitting in speaking quietly at a restaurant and other kids are running around the restaurant and not being handled by their parents, the problem is other people’s kids.
obviously, it's always the others
your kids are immune to the evils of the internet but others are dropping in droves.... the sky is falling all around your kids

it's so freakin absurd

Jul 2018
honest, this is not nonesense to you?

1) where are the freakin studies that support the assertion that "Over the past decade, there has been a decline in the manual dexterity of students."

2) Where are the studies that tie this loss of dexterity to being in "front of a screen?"

Come on man, you have to be able to think as you read.

Here is a real problem and you just displayed it. Our schools, in your day (you know when all was perfect) teach kids to read and memorize and tell them what they read is fact. They should be teaching how to THINK,

Your link is to one opinionated dope who happens to be a doctor, A title that fools you into thinking he is infallible and utters fact all day long.

If you only knew what I have done to doctors, lawyers and scientists in conversation,. Trust me, they are overwhelmingly dolts just like the general populous.

Apr 2013
Left coast
honest, this is not nonesense to you?

1) where are the freakin studies that support the assertion that "Over the past decade, there has been a decline in the manual dexterity of students."

2) Where are the studies that tie this loss of dexterity to being in "front of a screen?"

Come on man, you have to be able to think as you read.

Here is a real problem and you just displayed it. Our schools, in your day (you know when all was perfect) teach kids to read and memorize and tell them what they read is fact. They should be teaching how to THINK,

Your link is to one opinionated dope who happens to be a doctor, A title that fools you into thinking he is infallible and utters fact all day long.

If you only knew what I have done to doctors, lawyers and scientists in conversation,. Trust me, they are overwhelmingly dolts just like the general populous.
A professor at a UK medical school's opinion vs yours. In this instance I'll take his, thank you very much. Where are the studies supporting your position?

Jul 2018
A professor at a UK medical school's opinion vs yours. In this instance I'll take his, thank you very much. Where are the studies supporting your position?
He is a little big man to you, I understand.