Thoughts on the Death Penalty

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Bouncing off of @Organic intelligence thread about the El Paso shooter, what is everyone's position on the death penalty?

I don't object to the death penalty in principle, but I do have an issue with it in implementation. Here are my two objections and how I'd resolve
- I have an issue with the thought of a potentially innocent person being put to death. Jurries need to find a person guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm good with that. But in cases where the death penalty is on the table, I'd like to see a secondary trial where a judge finds the person guilty beyond a shaddow of a doubt. So for cases where there's a TON of circumstantial evidence but no DNA, no whitnesses, etc the person cannot be put to death. So for the El Paso shooter, he gone.
- I also have an issue with just logistically the cost. It's been widely reported that it's more expensive to implement the death penalty than it is to jail them for life. So given that I've already asked for someone to be found guilty beyond a shaddow of a doubt, I would actually implment the Texas style of of express lane executions. Now that you've been found guilty, you get 6 months and that's it. Speed up the prices, trim the fat, trim the cost, everyone is happy.

But that's just my take.

What does everyone else think?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I mostly agree with your points. Where it is currently applied and how is mostly wrong, IMO. Like you, I think keeping someone on death row for 20 years is the ultimate in cruel and unusual punishment. Come up with some type of criteria, yours above isn't bad, to eliminate cases where the evidence isn't definitive. Put those in prison for live, no parole unless there is an evidentiary breakthrough.

And all these efforts to make it somehow scientific? What a joke. Expensive and if the tearjerkers are to be believed, often screw up. I like firing squads. Fast and sure.

Another thing I wrestle with is who all to include. Some guy shoots his wife or some woman shoots her husband. Yes, that should be discouraged. But really, don't marry them and odds are you are safe.

But gangbangers who do drive-by shootings, even if they miss should be exterminated with dispatch, IMO.

And idiots who have, for the third time violently mugged some poor pensioner on her way from the ATM should be treated the same.

I have less faith in the ability of current psychological science to "cure" those types than some.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I can't condone it. I'd like to. But killing is killing....in my view. If we say Thou Shalt Not (even if we aren't Christians) then...Thou Shalt Not....but I WOULD suggest very sharp pruning shears for some crimes. Wink Wink.
Besides, LIFE in prison---isn't really LIFE, is it? I'm surprised there aren't more suicides.

May 2018
USA
I'm good with the death penalty as long as it's fairly applied. There are some bad dudes that if they ever get out they'll just kill more people. Those are the guys who need execution.

May 2018
USA
I can't condone it. I'd like to. But killing is killing....in my view. If we say Thou Shalt Not (even if we aren't Christians) then...Thou Shalt Not....but I WOULD suggest very sharp pruning shears for some crimes. Wink Wink.
Besides, LIFE in prison---isn't really LIFE, is it? I'm surprised there aren't more suicides.
Some people THRIVE in prison, believe it or not. Richard Speck, for example. On the outside of prison he was a miserable, lonely misanthrope...on the inside he was the "Belle of the Ball" as a prison tranny/bitch. He did an interview and claimed he was very happy.

Sep 2015
Stage Left
same, and double down on the shears comment :cool:

Oct 2010
Colorado
I'm irked every time I read the shooters in the Dayton or El Paso, or other, shootings referred to as the "alleged" shooter.

I think the final decision should be left up to the victim's family, after the court's proving the assailant's guilt beyond a doubt.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I'm irked every time I read the shooters in the Dayton or El Paso, or other, shootings referred to as the "alleged" shooter.

I think the final decision should be left up to the victim's family, after the court's proving the assailant's guilt beyond a doubt.
I hear you in principle. However in the case of El Paso, police approached the man and he said "I'm the shooter." Not sure about the Dayton.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
My problem with the the death penalty is the huge cost, the delay, and the high rate of error.
If you don't mind executing the innocent, it's great, But I dont like the idea of killing someone for something they didn't do.
It just feels wrong.
And the fact that only real scumbag countries have the death penalty, puts us in bad company.