Thoughts on the Death Penalty

Dec 2015
Arizona
Some people THRIVE in prison, believe it or not. Richard Speck, for example. On the outside of prison he was a miserable, lonely misanthrope...on the inside he was the "Belle of the Ball" as a prison tranny/bitch. He did an interview and claimed he was very happy.
That is so strange.

Feb 2019
here and there
I can't condone it. I'd like to. But killing is killing....in my view. If we say Thou Shalt Not (even if we aren't Christians) then...Thou Shalt Not....but I WOULD suggest very sharp pruning shears for some crimes. Wink Wink.
Besides, LIFE in prison---isn't really LIFE, is it? I'm surprised there aren't more suicides.
That is not the correct interpretation. It is thou shall not murder.

Killing in self defense and killing for an eye for an eye was routinely practiced in the OT and rightly so.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
They reckon the Pope is infallible, but law courts aren't. The killing of Timothy Evans was what put a stop to it for thinking people in the UK. When you've killed an innocent person, pardons are no good. However much the lynch-mob may howl, people of conscience can't go along with it.

Reactions: Lyzza
Jul 2014
massachusetts
They reckon the Pope is infallible, but law courts aren't. The killing of Timothy Evans was what put a stop to it for thinking people in the UK. When you've killed an innocent person, pardons are no good. However much the lynch-mob may howl, people of conscience can't go along with it.
In the US, DNA evidence freed 1 out of every 7 people on death row.
1/7 of the people sentenced to die, were proven innocent, they would have died.
There's got to be other people on death row, where the DNA evidence hasn't been preserved.
And that implies that of the people executed prior to the availability of DNA evidence, a rather large number were actually innocent.

That would imply that a rather large portion of the prison population is innocent, so even the lesser punishments are being applied to large numbers of innocent people.

Reactions: Lyzza and iolo
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
The death penalty in this country is very unfairly applied. But more importantly 358 people who had served years, sometimes decades on death row, have been PROVEN INNOCENT via DNA. There is absolutely now way we haven't executed multiple innocent people. Beyond a reasonable doubt in a death penalty case is just not a high enough standard. And then there is the cost. Death penalty cases trigger automatic appeals as we see it can take 10 to as much as 30 years before the bad guy gets his date with the needle. The last I read a DP case costs the prosecution an average of $2 Million dollars.

A better solution would be to A) Do away with for profit prisons and B) End the war on drugs. 70% of the 2 million people we have locked up, are NON violent drug offenders. Kick those guys loose. Expunge their records and use the savings to keep the truly violent locked up.

Reactions: iolo and Lyzza
May 2018
USA
Why? On the street he was just another homosexual street whore. In prison he was a "queen".
On the street he was one of the most famous spree killers in American history, he didn't learn about his ..uh..."alternative" tendencies until he got to prison :D