Thread For 40+ Older

May 2018
Springfield
https://www.stateofobesity.org/obesity-rates-trends-overview/rd

Remember when DORITOS and Oreos and McDonald's Apple Pies tasted mouthwateringly good?

Yes. I mean Trans-Fat: the ingredient that made delicious tasting food and that oh so perfect texture in your favorite fast food fries, snacks, or sandwich.

Around 1997ish, politicians (yes that includes the CDC & FDA) pitched a campaign to ban Trans-Fat to cure the obesity epidemic in the U.S..

Well, in a nutshell, we're getting fatter and banning trans-fat did absolutely nothing that politicians promised it would.

I see the nutrients label STILL says "NO TRANS FAT". This either means the politicians are arrogant and love to brag OR that label is a way of the FDA saying "We don't want to use trans-fat like carnivals do".

Regardless. The politicians were wrong. At this point, adding Trans-Fat back into Oreos and Doritos and those delicious deep fried apple pies (those who are old enough to remember) -wouldn't hurt a soul.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Factually incorrect. Trans fats are no more or no less fattening than any other fats including saturated fats. But trans fats are a baddie for causing clogged arteries. That was the issue being addressed.

Are you a cardiac surgeon who needs more patients?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Trans fat diet induces abdominal obesity and changes in insulin sensitivity in monkeys. - PubMed - NCBI

"Trans-Fat fed monkeys gained significant weight with increased intra-abdominal fat deposition"

A little too smart for your own good, eh hacker?
Did they blind against saturated fats? It looks like they didn't. They did test against cis unsaturated but don't list results.

But see the link that says the trans fats are bad for cardio health and the diabetes problem but nothing about weight gain. Maybe monkeys are different.

That is always the problem with trying to extrapolate research on non-humans to humans.

Trans fat - Wikipedia and all the linked references.

And what's with the smartassed namecalling, dork?

Aug 2019
De Congo
I'll take my chances by avoiding artificial trans fats and fried food in general. The research shows a definite link to increased risk of heart disease. More people will benefit from having hydrogenated oil removed from their diets than those who continue to consume it. There was never any promise to eliminate obesity..just to eliminate a contributing factor towards heart disease,

Last edited:
Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
https://www.stateofobesity.org/obesity-rates-trends-overview/rd

Remember when DORITOS and Oreos and McDonald's Apple Pies tasted mouthwateringly good?

Yes. I mean Trans-Fat: the ingredient that made delicious tasting food and that oh so perfect texture in your favorite fast food fries, snacks, or sandwich.

Around 1997ish, politicians (yes that includes the CDC & FDA) pitched a campaign to ban Trans-Fat to cure the obesity epidemic in the U.S..

Well, in a nutshell, we're getting fatter and banning trans-fat did absolutely nothing that politicians promised it would.

I see the nutrients label STILL says "NO TRANS FAT". This either means the politicians are arrogant and love to brag OR that label is a way of the FDA saying "We don't want to use trans-fat like carnivals do".

Regardless. The politicians were wrong. At this point, adding Trans-Fat back into Oreos and Doritos and those delicious deep fried apple pies (those who are old enough to remember) -wouldn't hurt a soul.
That stuff was all garbage and is still all garbage.

Taking things like trans fats out of food is critical to improved health.

You are way off base in this post from soup to nuts. (get it? "soup to nuts";-)

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I'll take my chances by avoiding artificial trans fats and fried food in general. The research shows a definite link to increased risk of heart disease. More people will benefit from having hydrogenated oil removed from their diets than those who continue to consume it. There was never any promise to eliminate obesity..just to eliminate a contributing factor towards heart disease,
Trumpets have no use for science. This is what we are up against.