Tonight I lose My Freedom. "Stay Home/Work Safe" ordered by County Judge Lena Hidalgo.

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
Judge Hidalgo has order me to:

All individuals currently living within Harris County are ordered to stay at their place of residence except for Essential Activities as defined in this order. All persons may leave their Residences only for Essential Activities, or to provide or perform Essential Governmental Functions, or to operate Essential Businesses, as defined in Section 2. For purposes of this Order, Residence includes homes, hotels, motels, shared rentals, and similar facilities.To the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they must at all times as reasonably as possible maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person when they are outside their residence.

Exception examples:

b.Individuals experiencing homelessness are exempt from this Order except that, to the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they shall, to the greatest extent feasible, maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person.Individuals experiencing homelessness are strongly urged to obtain shelter.

How very liberal of her to exempt the homeless from a stay home order. What a brilliant idea she has for them: "obtain shelter." If only they had thought of that.

It goes on to say that all businesses not essential must close. It later specifies examples of businesses that are and are not essential:

Nearly every possible place a person might want to go is listed as essential.

Those which must close are specified:

g.Gyms, fitness centers, swimming pools and other facilities that are used or intended to be used for any type of training, martial arts, sport or recreation shall close.

h.Hair and nail salons, spas, licensed massage businesses and tattoo parlors, concert halls, live performance theaters, arenas, stadiums, movie theaters, game rooms, bowling alleys, arcades, indoor and outdoor flea markets and swap meets, indoor malls, indoor shopping centers, and bingo halls shall close.

"licensed massage businesses" in Houston means one of the thousands of happy ending massage parlors that police allow to operate openly.

• Faith leaders may minister and counsel in individual settings, so long as social distance protocols are followed.Religious and worship services may only be provided by video and teleconference.Religious institutions must limit in-person staff to those necessary for preparing for or conducting video or teleconference services, and all individuals must follow the Social Distancing Guidelines, including the six-foot social distancing.
No church for you unless your church consists of televangelism.

Nothing is mentioned about enforcement.

Hidalgo is not a "Judge" in the sense that she wears a robe and can issue bench warrants and court orders. The Harris county executive is called "County Judge" because we're weird I guess.

This order will be enforced the same way new gun laws are enforced. Voluntary cooperation by the law abiding and being ignored completely by criminals.
sensitive and over-reactive, much?

babycry.gif

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
The more I thought about this, the more I realized the real issue here. Some of these so-called libertarians seem to think they live in a bubble. They think THEIR actions do not affect other people. Floppy there is whining about his rights, what about the rights of everyone he needlessly comes in contact with ?

If just one person he has contact with is already infected, because someone else was needlessly buzzing around town, then everyone he comes in contact with throughout the rest of his activities has now been exposed. It's selfishness, pure narcissism.

1585155684498.png

Feb 2020
Houston
I thought you Texans were tougher than this.
Ouch.

The more I thought about this, the more I realized the real issue here. Some of these so-called libertarians seem to think they live in a bubble. They think THEIR actions do not affect other people. Floppy there is whining about his rights, what about the rights of everyone he needlessly comes in contact with ?

If just one person he has contact with is already infected, because someone else was needlessly buzzing around town, then everyone he comes in contact with throughout the rest of his activities has now been exposed. It's selfishness, pure narcissism.

View attachment 8733
Everyone affects everyone else about almost every aspect of our lives, but that does not validate your argument that our government officials then need to control us to this extent.

Let the people who fear human contact choose to stay home. They have that right. Of course they will lose their jobs and all human contact, living a life of misery and loneliness but that would far better than forcing that choice on everyone.

They have every right to make that choice for themselves.

They are welcome to be the match that never lights, not fulfilling its purpose, not contributing anything, but only hiding in the kitchen drawer to extend its useless existence as long as possible in a futile attempt to last forever. Sooner or later the match will rot away, having accomplished nothing but staying around a little longer than the doers of the world.

• Haha
Reactions: thor gonzales
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Ouch.

Everyone affects everyone else about almost every aspect of our lives, but that does not validate your argument that our government officials then need to control us to this extent.

Let the people who fear human contact choose to stay home. They have that right. Of course they will lose their jobs and all human contact, living a life of misery and loneliness but that would far better than forcing that choice on everyone.

They have every right to make that choice for themselves.

They are welcome to be the match that never lights, not fulfilling its purpose, not contributing anything, but only hiding in the kitchen drawer to extend its useless existence as long as possible in a futile attempt to last forever. Sooner or later the match will rot away, having accomplished nothing but staying around a little longer than the doers of the world.

So you are saying YOUR RIGHT to able aimlessly around the city doing UNNECESSARY things, potentially infecting dozens, hundreds even thousands, is GREATER than everyone else's ??

No one is saying you CAN'T go out if you need food or medicine or even to pick up items to work on those "around the house" projects you've been putting off. They're saying you don't NEED to attend a movie or eat in a crowded restaurant or go wander aimlessly around the mall or pack yourself into a several thousand person six flags over Jesus on Sunday, or any other place where people generally congregate in sizable numbers and/or close proximity.

Are you REALLY so incredibly fucking selfish and narcissistic that you can't, even for a few days, put the health and welfare of your fellow human beings above your own petty desires ??? Your balls aren't going to explode if you don't get your Saturday night handjob at the massage parlor and Jesus isn't going to send you to hell for not mingling with all the other pretentious hypocrites that attend your local megachurch.

Reactions: FrostKing
Feb 2020
Houston
So you are saying YOUR RIGHT to able aimlessly around the city doing UNNECESSARY things, potentially infecting dozens, hundreds even thousands, is GREATER than everyone else's ??
How can I infect anyone by walking aimlessly around the city unless they have also left their homes and volunteered to take the risk?

No one is saying you CAN'T go out if you need food or medicine or even to pick up items to work on those "around the house" projects you've been putting off. They're saying you don't NEED to attend a movie or eat in a crowded restaurant or go wander aimlessly around the mall or pack yourself into a several thousand person six flags over Jesus on Sunday, or any other place where people generally congregate in sizable numbers and/or close proximity.
I'll make a separate posts about the word "NEED," but let me say that if you're asking me to be grateful that no one is saying I can't go out for food or medicine, that emotion is not what I am feeling.

Are you REALLY so incredibly fucking selfish and narcissistic that you can't, even for a few days, put the health and welfare of your fellow human beings above your own petty desires ???
Again, I will endanger NO ONE who does not choose to also go out and take the same risk.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
How can I infect anyone by walking aimlessly around the city unless they have also left their homes and volunteered to take the risk?

I'll make a separate posts about the word "NEED," but let me say that if you're asking me to be grateful that no one is saying I can't go out for food or medicine, that emotion is not what I am feeling.

Again, I will endanger NO ONE who does not choose to also go out and take the same risk.

And the people that work for those "essential" businesses ?? Are you really going to say that medical staff has a real choice in the matter ? I work for an essential business. Yes, I could tell my boss, "sorry not coming in". In fact, we have a couple of part-timers who are in their late 60 early 70s who are NOT working right now. That means everyone else must pick up the slack. That means everyone else has to work longer hours and risk more exposure.

If everyone stayed home, WHO WOULD SELL YOU FOOD OR MEDICINE ????

Are you REALLY whining about the fact you are being asked, or even told, to limit your movements around the city ??? SERIOUSLY ??

Until there is a vaccine or treatment THE fastest way to limit the contagion is to limit human contact.

Reactions: se7en
Feb 2020
Houston
And the people that work for those "essential" businesses ?? Are you really going to say that medical staff has a real choice in the matter ?
As of right now they do. No idea what the government has in the works for making that mandatory.

I wouldn't go see a medical provider unless I was sick or percieved that I needed medical attention.

Are you saying that I CAN'T do that?

I work for an essential business. Yes, I could tell my boss, "sorry not coming in". In fact, we have a couple of part-timers who are in their late 60 early 70s who are NOT working right now. That means everyone else must pick up the slack. That means everyone else has to work longer hours and risk more exposure.
Not yet they don't. They can tell the boss the same thing, "Sorry, not risking the spread of coronavirus for your profits." Instead, you cackle that your job "is deemed essential" by people who think they are in charge of essential job deeming so you sing a quick chorus of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go," knowing that it isn't your financial life that is being ruined.

Just what is this "essential job" of yours?

If everyone stayed home, WHO WOULD SELL YOU FOOD OR MEDICINE ????
Well, first of all I got plenty of that stuff. I'm one of those preppers that liberals sneered at because they knew government would prevent any disaster that we were foolishly prepping for.

Second of all, I don't advocate everyone stay home, I advocate choice. Do you seriously believe that the night stockers at Walmart are working their asses off getting overtime because they are concerned I'll run out of bread, canned food and wine? Hell no, they want to stay afloat financially and are glad that this time the "are deemed essential."

Are you REALLY whining about the fact you are being asked, or even told, to limit your movements around the city ??? SERIOUSLY ??

Until there is a vaccine or treatment THE fastest way to limit the contagion is to limit human contact.
I reject that it is "whining" anymore than you are whining when you disagree with what I say.

I am being told but there is no teeth behind the order so I'm not too concerned about it.

Yesterday I talked to the man who owns the essential liquor store next door to the essential Italian restaurant. He came from Vietnam as a teenager in a shrimp boat not intended for long voyages. When I walked in the store, he was talking to a customer in a heavy accent: "Dey call dis a shutdown? Ahh dis no shutdown. That Le Duan, he make a shutdown evahbody shut da fuck down."

But he was only talking that way because the customer was new and that's his act. When I got to the counter with my Ezra Brooks, he told me he would stay open as long as they let him. If he shuts down for two weeks, he believes he will lose his business.

Do you know why liquor stores are deemed essential?

I'm glad for his sake they are, but what is the reasoning?

Last edited: