Tonight I lose My Freedom. "Stay Home/Work Safe" ordered by County Judge Lena Hidalgo.

Jul 2019
Georgia
As of right now they do. No idea what the government has in the works for making that mandatory.

I wouldn't go see a medical provider unless I was sick or percieved that I needed medical attention.

Are you saying that I CAN'T do that?

Not yet they don't. They can tell the boss the same thing, "Sorry, not risking the spread of coronavirus for your profits." Instead, you cackle that your job "is deemed essential" by people who think they are in charge of essential job deeming so you sing a quick chorus of "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go," knowing that it isn't your financial life that is being ruined.

Just what is this "essential job" of yours?

Well, first of all I got plenty of that stuff. I'm one of those preppers that liberals sneered at because they knew government would prevent any disaster that we were foolishly prepping for.

Second of all, I don't advocate everyone stay home, I advocate choice. Do you seriously believe that the night stockers at Walmart are working their asses off getting overtime because they are concerned I'll run out of bread, canned food and wine? Hell no, they want to stay afloat financially and are glad that this time the "are deemed essential."

I reject that it is "whining" anymore than you are whining when you disagree with what I say.

I am being told but there is no teeth behind the order so I'm not too concerned about it.

Yesterday I talked to the man who owns the essential liquor store next door to the essential Italian restaurant. He came from Vietnam as a teenager in a shrimp boat not intended for long voyages. When I walked in the store, he was talking to a customer in a heavy accent: "Dey call dis a shutdown? Ahh dis no shutdown. That Le Duan, he make a shutdown evahbody shut da fuck down."

But he was only talking that way because the customer was new and that's his act. When I got to the counter with my Ezra Brooks, he told me he would stay open as long as they let him. If he shuts down for two weeks, he believes he will lose his business.

Do you know why liquor stores are deemed essential?

I'm glad for his sake they are, but what is the reasoning?
my job is considered essential too
we do exist
I could survive a little while without income too, and would rather be at home

not everyone is a selfish entitled jerk

Reactions: leekohler2 and RNG

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I am from Orange County, California. The last conservative holdout in California and the pride and joy of the late but greats, Ronald Reagan and The Duke, John Wayne.
If you were in fact arguing for your freedom to kill yourself I would be cheering madly. But given the fact that you exercising this freedom desired by you can kill others, it was a totally justified move.

Jul 2018
Earth
Judge Hidalgo has order me to:

All individuals currently living within Harris County are ordered to stay at their place of residence except for Essential Activities as defined in this order. All persons may leave their Residences only for Essential Activities, or to provide or perform Essential Governmental Functions, or to operate Essential Businesses, as defined in Section 2. For purposes of this Order, Residence includes homes, hotels, motels, shared rentals, and similar facilities.To the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they must at all times as reasonably as possible maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person when they are outside their residence.

Exception examples:

b.Individuals experiencing homelessness are exempt from this Order except that, to the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they shall, to the greatest extent feasible, maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person.Individuals experiencing homelessness are strongly urged to obtain shelter.

How very liberal of her to exempt the homeless from a stay home order. What a brilliant idea she has for them: "obtain shelter." If only they had thought of that.

It goes on to say that all businesses not essential must close. It later specifies examples of businesses that are and are not essential:

Nearly every possible place a person might want to go is listed as essential.

Those which must close are specified:

g.Gyms, fitness centers, swimming pools and other facilities that are used or intended to be used for any type of training, martial arts, sport or recreation shall close.

h.Hair and nail salons, spas, licensed massage businesses and tattoo parlors, concert halls, live performance theaters, arenas, stadiums, movie theaters, game rooms, bowling alleys, arcades, indoor and outdoor flea markets and swap meets, indoor malls, indoor shopping centers, and bingo halls shall close.

"licensed massage businesses" in Houston means one of the thousands of happy ending massage parlors that police allow to operate openly.

• Faith leaders may minister and counsel in individual settings, so long as social distance protocols are followed.Religious and worship services may only be provided by video and teleconference.Religious institutions must limit in-person staff to those necessary for preparing for or conducting video or teleconference services, and all individuals must follow the Social Distancing Guidelines, including the six-foot social distancing.
No church for you unless your church consists of televangelism.

Nothing is mentioned about enforcement.

Hidalgo is not a "Judge" in the sense that she wears a robe and can issue bench warrants and court orders. The Harris county executive is called "County Judge" because we're weird I guess.

This order will be enforced the same way new gun laws are enforced. Voluntary cooperation by the law abiding and being ignored completely by criminals.
Be very careful or you could be classified as a terrorist =

Those who intentionally spread coronavirus could be charged as terrorists

The Justice Department offers guidance on how to deal with “purposeful exposure and infection of others.”
Those who intentionally spread coronavirus could be charged as terrorists

Reactions: se7en and RNG
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Judge Hidalgo has order me to:

All individuals currently living within Harris County are ordered to stay at their place of residence except for Essential Activities as defined in this order. All persons may leave their Residences only for Essential Activities, or to provide or perform Essential Governmental Functions, or to operate Essential Businesses, as defined in Section 2. For purposes of this Order, Residence includes homes, hotels, motels, shared rentals, and similar facilities.To the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they must at all times as reasonably as possible maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person when they are outside their residence.

Exception examples:

b.Individuals experiencing homelessness are exempt from this Order except that, to the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they shall, to the greatest extent feasible, maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person.Individuals experiencing homelessness are strongly urged to obtain shelter.

How very liberal of her to exempt the homeless from a stay home order. What a brilliant idea she has for them: "obtain shelter." If only they had thought of that.

It goes on to say that all businesses not essential must close. It later specifies examples of businesses that are and are not essential:

Nearly every possible place a person might want to go is listed as essential.

Those which must close are specified:

g.Gyms, fitness centers, swimming pools and other facilities that are used or intended to be used for any type of training, martial arts, sport or recreation shall close.

h.Hair and nail salons, spas, licensed massage businesses and tattoo parlors, concert halls, live performance theaters, arenas, stadiums, movie theaters, game rooms, bowling alleys, arcades, indoor and outdoor flea markets and swap meets, indoor malls, indoor shopping centers, and bingo halls shall close.

"licensed massage businesses" in Houston means one of the thousands of happy ending massage parlors that police allow to operate openly.

• Faith leaders may minister and counsel in individual settings, so long as social distance protocols are followed.Religious and worship services may only be provided by video and teleconference.Religious institutions must limit in-person staff to those necessary for preparing for or conducting video or teleconference services, and all individuals must follow the Social Distancing Guidelines, including the six-foot social distancing.
No church for you unless your church consists of televangelism.

Nothing is mentioned about enforcement.

Hidalgo is not a "Judge" in the sense that she wears a robe and can issue bench warrants and court orders. The Harris county executive is called "County Judge" because we're weird I guess.

This order will be enforced the same way new gun laws are enforced. Voluntary cooperation by the law abiding and being ignored completely by criminals.
Your freedom ends at my nasal mucous membranes.

Jul 2019
Georgia
What is your "essential job?"
nunya

however it's on this list if that helps

we are fortunate enough to be equipped to be able to still do business while closing our doors to the public,
however I'm already seeing the effects, and profits are probably going to be down for March and probably April (and on and on if this continues)

it's also a lot more difficult, and harder work now
almost snapped at an intern today and I've never done that
(pretty grateful all of my interns are staying on, though I told them they could go home, but we'd be sunk without them)

if there's one thing I've learned from this is that it's more difficult to do things remotely (my son's schooling, my work)
there's a reason we get up and go in every day
there's another essential (very essential) business in our building, and the owner can work remotely, and tried on Tuesday but came back in today because she said it took her almost twice as long to work from home

fun times we live in
buck up and get through it. we're all making sacrifices.
one upside, is that we may appreciate the things we took for granted much more when (if) things get back to normal

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
If you were in fact arguing for your freedom to kill yourself I would be cheering madly. But given the fact that you exercising this freedom desired by you can kill others, it was a totally justified move.
Doesn't make sense. Are you still mad for being shamed?

Feb 2020
Houston
What is your "essential job?"
nunya

however it's on this list if that helps

we are fortunate enough to be equipped to be able to still do business while closing our doors to the public,
however I'm already seeing the effects, and profits are probably going to be down for March and probably April (and on and on if this continues)

it's also a lot more difficult, and harder work now
almost snapped at an intern today and I've never done that
(pretty grateful all of my interns are staying on, though I told them they could go home, but we'd be sunk without them)

if there's one thing I've learned from this is that it's more difficult to do things remotely (my son's schooling, my work)
there's a reason we get up and go in every day
there's another essential (very essential) business in our building, and the owner can work remotely, and tried on Tuesday but came back in today because she said it took her almost twice as long to work from home

fun times we live in
buck up and get through it. we're all making sacrifices.
one upside, is that we may appreciate the things we took for granted much more when (if) things get back to normal
Uh-huh.

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe your job is on the "essential" list. You don't want to say what it is, I'm guessing because it so lame that it would never be on an essential list in a non-manufactured crises.

What percent of people have jobs on the "essential list?" I'd guess in the neighborhood of thirty percent (wild guess, you disagree tell me why). Another thirty percent can work from home. So of course y'all are happy. You get to keep working and you're still going to get your $1,200. Any plans for it?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Doesn't make sense. Are you still mad for being shamed?
No, I'm still wondering how you were able to access parts of the forum you should not be able to.

But that has nothing to do with my comment. It was pointing out how your beliefs are selfish and dangerous.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I did not access anything. I just did a screenshot. You might want to get that glitch fixed. But while you are at it, you might as well explain why you stopped those posts.

Selfish and dangerous to who? People have a right to chose what they believe and what they don't.