Truman sailors ordered to ‘clap like we’re at a strip club’ for Pence visit

Apr 2014
redacted
While some people take exception to the strip club comment, I think the main offense here is a Command Master Chief (most senior enlisted sailor in a unit) ordering sailors to take a political position by clapping enthusiastically. It's appropriate to order unit personnel to be on their best, more respectful and orderly behavior, but emotional displays should either be played down or left to the individual, not subject to orders. Would the CMC give the same order if Nancy Pelosi was the visitor? She's #3 in line to the Presidency. I doubt it, hence why the CMC was probably reprimanded.

Sailors from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman were given a very specific order by the ship’s most senior enlisted sailor in preparation for the arrival of Vice President Mike Pence Tuesday.
“Clap like we’re at a strip club.”
The “inappropriate” comments were confirmed in a statement by the Truman’s public information officer in correspondence with CNN.
“We can confirm that this statement was made by USS Harry S. Truman’s Command Master Chief to Truman’s Sailors, prior to the arrival of the Vice President,” Lt. Cmdr. Laura Stegherr told CNN.
“This statement was inappropriate, and this issue is being addressed by Truman’s leadership.”

Note the end of the article. It's hilarious.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
While some people take exception to the strip club comment, I think the main offense here is a Command Master Chief (most senior enlisted sailor in a unit) ordering sailors to take a political position by clapping enthusiastically. It's appropriate to order unit personnel to be on their best, more respectful and orderly behavior, but emotional displays should either be played down or left to the individual, not subject to orders. Would the CMC give the same order if Nancy Pelosi was the visitor? She's #3 in line to the Presidency. I doubt it, hence why the CMC was probably reprimanded.

Sailors from the aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman were given a very specific order by the ship’s most senior enlisted sailor in preparation for the arrival of Vice President Mike Pence Tuesday.
The “inappropriate” comments were confirmed in a statement by the Truman’s public information officer in correspondence with CNN.
“We can confirm that this statement was made by USS Harry S. Truman’s Command Master Chief to Truman’s Sailors, prior to the arrival of the Vice President,” Lt. Cmdr. Laura Stegherr told CNN.
“This statement was inappropriate, and this issue is being addressed by Truman’s leadership.”

Being instructed on how to act in the presence of a "dignitary" is nothing new. That extends into all walks of life. Not just the military. My experience when i was on a new ship that was a genuine "showboat" is that every time we were visited by anyone considered to be important to our leadership, AKA officers, we were coached in exactly how to act in their presence. When one of my sons graduated from Marine boot in San Diego the ceremony included loud harmonious "OOORAHS" after each attending VIP was introduced.
In the private sector not fawning over VIPs was a sure way to kill your career if you weren't very careful.
In this case the fact that sailors were instructed to clap isn't the issue. It seems to be the reference to a strip club that is objected to and the "If Pelosi were the guest would the same command have been given?" I'd bet on yes. But in her case that instruction might be met with a round of imitations of people barfing.
On edit, the comment that making political statements in that way is also common. The military are the employees of the politicians in power at any given moment. The comment by the PIO made no reference to the idea that the CMCs instructions were political. No one wants to piss off the boss, regardless of the politics involve.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadEyeDick
Apr 2014
redacted
From the Fox News perspective:

Navy sailors aboard USS Harry S. Truman told to ‘clap like we’re at a strip club’ for Mike Pence
“Truman's Commanding Officer personally engaged the crew during all-hands calls to ensure that all Sailors on board understand that the comments they heard are unacceptable.”

Pence toured the vessel in Norfolk, Va., and thanked those who served.

“To all of the men & women who serve on the USS Truman – let me deliver this simple message: Thank you for your service,” Pence tweeted.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted he was “overriding the Decommission Order of the magnificent aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman.”

May 2018
USA
Wonderful. Another chickenhawk who wants to force the military to give him photo ops. I can't stand that type of crap. Remember when that draftdodger George Bush landed on the aircraft carrier wearing the flight suit and announcing "Mission Accomplished"?

Apr 2014
redacted
Being instructed on how to act in the presence of a "dignitary" is nothing new. That extends into all walks of life. Not just the military. My experience when i was on a new ship that was a genuine "showboat" is that every time we were visited by anyone considered to be important to our leadership, AKA officers, we were coached in exactly how to act in their presence. When one of my sons graduated from Marine boot in San Diego the ceremony included loud harmonious "OOORAHS" after each attending VIP was introduced.
In the private sector not fawning over VIPs was a sure way to kill your career if you weren't very careful.
In this case the fact that sailors were instructed to clap isn't the issue. It seems to be the reference to a strip club that is objected to and the "If Pelosi were the guest would the same command have been given?" I'd bet on yes. But in her case that instruction might be met with a round of imitations of people barfing.
So if they were instructed to "boo", you'd have no problem? I think not.

It's not being instructed on "how to act" that is the problem, it's being ordered to applaud enthusiastically that's over the top.

Were you ordered to clap enthusiastically for everyone regardless of party or position? Or was there political bias? Was your son ordered to conduct himself as he did for each VIP?

Fuck the private sector. They're all kiss-ass and care nothing about duty, honor, country. They certainly didn't take an oath to support and defend the Constitution.

BTW, side question; do you think that anyone who takes that oath should continue to abide by it even after they leave the service? I do. An oath is forever. It's not legally held against former service personnel, but it's still an oath. Thoughts?

Apr 2014
redacted
Wonderful. Another chickenhawk who wants to force the military to give him photo ops. I can't stand that type of crap. Remember when that draftdodger George Bush landed on the aircraft carrier wearing the flight suit and announcing "Mission Accomplished"?
Agreed. I also remember when his predecessor, the draft-dodging rapist and adulterer wore a flight jacket aboard a US aircraft carrier.

President Clinton-USS Independence.jpg
President Clinton-USS Carl Vinson.jpg

May 2018
USA
So if they were instructed to "boo", you'd have no problem? I think not.

It's not being instructed on "how to act" that is the problem, it's being ordered to applaud enthusiastically that's over the top.

Were you ordered to clap enthusiastically for everyone regardless of party or position? Or was there political bias? Was your son ordered to conduct himself as he did for each VIP?

Fuck the private sector. They're all kiss-ass and care nothing about duty, honor, country. They certainly didn't take an oath to support and defend the Constitution.

BTW, side question; do you think that anyone who takes that oath should continue to abide by it even after they leave the service? I do. An oath is forever. It's not legally held against former service personnel, but it's still an oath. Thoughts?
I was fortunate enough to never be used in a photo op. The Army hated using me in parades, even, I once dorked a Sergeant Major in the eye during a parade with a rubber M16. Regarding Clinton, he wasn't a draft dodger. His name EVENTUALLY went into the bucket but was never called (he had a high draft number). Bush, on the other hand, joined the "Texas Air National Guard" as a sham to avoid the draft (a common dodge), and simply skipped out on performing his duty. Thanks to political connections he was never persecuted for literally going AWOL and never reporting back to duty (this happened when he "transferred" to another state's Air National Guard).

You are welcome.

Regarding the oath: if I acted on the oath I took in the Army to defend our country against "all enemies foreign and domestic" I'd be obligated to start slaughtering Republican politicians. I have not done so and never will. Those damned ethics keep getting in the way...

Apr 2014
redacted
I was fortunate enough to never be used in a photo op. The Army hated using me in parades, even, I once dorked a Sergeant Major in the eye during a parade with a rubber M16. Regarding Clinton, he wasn't a draft dodger. His name EVENTUALLY went into the bucket but was never called (he had a high draft number). Bush, on the other hand, joined the "Texas Air National Guard" as a sham to avoid the draft (a common dodge), and simply skipped out on performing his duty. Thanks to political connections he was never persecuted for literally going AWOL and never reporting back to duty (this happened when he "transferred" to another state's Air National Guard).

You are welcome.

Regarding the oath: if I acted on the oath I took in the Army to defend our country against "all enemies foreign and domestic" I'd be obligated to start slaughtering Republican politicians. I have not done so and never will. Those damned ethics keep getting in the way...
Disagreed with your spin about Clinton and Bush. Nice try, but you're wrong.

Agreed that Bush should have answered for his failure to report.

You are welcome.

Feb 2019
here and there

It beats Obama ordering the soldiers in Afghanistan to sign a document to not discuss the soldier that deserted and helped the enemy kill American soldiers so that Obama could tell the world that he traded terrorists at Club Gitmo for him and called him an American hero.

Guess what, it's hard to scare and intimidate a soldier into obeying anything you have to say with fear tactics when they are willing to lay down their lives every day of the week for each other. Yes, they later talked about it.