Trump Administration Wants To Cut Funding For Public Housing Repairs

Mar 2019
Texas

https://www.npr.org/.../trump-administration-wants-to-cut-funding-for-public-housing-r...

1 hour ago - But the Trump administration wants to eliminate the federal fund now used to repair public housing in favor of attracting more private investment to fix up and replace it. ... Tyrone Garrett, executive director of the District of Columbia Housing Authority, is one of many housing ...

But HUD Secretary Carson says the federal government has limited funds and needs to attract more private investment. He told Congress that the administration hopes to address the problem, in part, with a program enacted in the 2017 tax law that provides large tax breaks for investments in what are called "opportunity zones."

It is an interesting title givin that gov. has already cut the funding since 2000. I like the idea of tax write offs for fixing up public housing but it lacks incentive.

Sep 2017
Hell
I like the idea of just shutting the entire federal department down
I'm not a fan of big government, but removing the Feds from it's housing role will just create more slumlords. I once needed some extra money and did some work for a guy that did repair work for a slumlord, and I still feel dirty about it even to this day. We were allowed to only do the barest repairs only when absolutely necessary to avoid complaints by the tenants that might have jeopardized the timely arrival of the Section 8 checks. I mean we did stuff like patch a wall with cardboard and painted over it, and just adding a few sheet rock screws to tighten a loose load bearing post. NONE of what we did would fly if it was not for a subsidized tenant that didn't know any better. I quit after a week, right after getting paid in cash on a Friday.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
https://www.npr.org/.../trump-administration-wants-to-cut-funding-for-public-housing-r...

1 hour ago - But the Trump administration wants to eliminate the federal fund now used to repair public housing in favor of attracting more private investment to fix up and replace it. ... Tyrone Garrett, executive director of the District of Columbia Housing Authority, is one of many housing ...

But HUD Secretary Carson says the federal government has limited funds and needs to attract more private investment. He told Congress that the administration hopes to address the problem, in part, with a program enacted in the 2017 tax law that provides large tax breaks for investments in what are called "opportunity zones."

It is an interesting title givin that gov. has already cut the funding since 2000. I like the idea of tax write offs for fixing up public housing but it lacks incentive.

Millions of people are now off welfare because of the Trump Economy... so... there is a lesser need for Public housing. and a greater need for private housing.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I'm not a fan of big government, but removing the Feds from it's housing role will just create more slumlords. I once needed some extra money and did some work for a guy that did repair work for a slumlord, and I still feel dirty about it even to this day. We were allowed to only do the barest repairs only when absolutely necessary to avoid complaints by the tenants that might have jeopardized the timely arrival of the Section 8 checks. I mean we did stuff like patch a wall with cardboard and painted over it, and just adding a few sheet rock screws to tighten a loose load bearing post. NONE of what we did would fly if it was not for a subsidized tenant that didn't know any better. I quit after a week, right after getting paid in cash on a Friday.
Reality like this is invisible to those on the right because it doesn't fit their paradigm: government bad, private side good, always, in every situation.

I've done repairs like those you mentioned for really greedy private side people.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Reality like this is invisible to those on the right because it doesn't fit their paradigm: government bad, private side good, always, in every situation.

I've done repairs like those you mentioned for really greedy private side people.

You are attempting to apply market theory to a subsidized situation. Those rent seekers exist because of section 8. Section 8 is a giant scam. Sure people get free or cheap housing but those slumlords charge the state well over market value for subpar accommodations.

May 2018
USA
Shocker: a notorious slumlord doesn't think public housing needs repairs. I wonder what his wonderful "christian" supporters will say about children forced to grow up in cockroach infested hellholes with leaky toilets, showers, sinks, etc?