Trump Kicks Off Week Advocating "Bible Literacy" Classes in Schools

Nov 2012
Kekistan
I have no problem with private schools offering this. I have no problem with public schools offering electives for religious studies classes. I don't even have a problem if they offer a bible literacy class. But in doing so, they'd need to offer a Quran literacy class, Torah literacy class, Tripitakas literacy class, Granth Sahib literacy, Satanic Bible literacy, etc.
No they do not. Its called an elective because you are not required to take it. Therefore elect to not take any elective course you do not want to

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
No they do not. Its called an elective because you are not required to take it. Therefore elect to not take any elective course you do not want to
Would you argue then that a public school can offer an elective course on the satanic temple and no other religious electives?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Yes. I would argue that a public school can offer any elective they want to.
I genuinely applaud you for your consistency. No BS. My position is if a public school is going to offer classes or courses about religion (which I as an atheist think they indeed should) it should be an all or nothing approach. Teach about all the religions (or at least the major ones) or teach none of them. I don't want my tax-dollars going towards the education of just one religion. Private schools can do whatever the hell they want.

So while I disagree with your position, again, I appreciate that you're not giving preferential treatment to one religion or the other.

Nov 2012
Kekistan
I genuinely applaud you for your consistency. No BS. My position is if a public school is going to offer classes or courses about religion (which I as an atheist think they indeed should) it should be an all or nothing approach. Teach about all the religions (or at least the major ones) or teach none of them. I don't want my tax-dollars going towards the education of just one religion. Private schools can do whatever the hell they want.

So while I disagree with your position, again, I appreciate that you're not giving preferential treatment to one religion or the other.
The problem with your approach is it makes things impossible. It would be akin to saying lets have a world history class and every culture, people, nation there ever was must be given the same amount of time. Not going to happen. Furthermore, lest we forget, a public school is, always has been, and ought to be, an extension of the culture of the people for which it serves. The boards are made up of people, elected from within that district. The school boards do have a say so and should have a say in what curriculum is taught within the school. As long as property tax from school districts fund that public school, then those tax payers, via an elected school board, have a right to instill a curriculum that instill their values and culture.
Abolish property tax, and I think you could have more freedom within your schools

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
The problem with your approach is it makes things impossible. It would be akin to saying lets have a world history class and every culture, people, nation there ever was must be given the same amount of time. Not going to happen. Furthermore, lest we forget, a public school is, always has been, and ought to be, an extension of the culture of the people for which it serves. The boards are made up of people, elected from within that district. The school boards do have a say so and should have a say in what curriculum is taught within the school. As long as property tax from school districts fund that public school, then those tax payers, via an elected school board, have a right to instill a curriculum that instill their values and culture.
Abolish property tax, and I think you could have more freedom within your schools
Small government mentality, more or less. No?

May 2018
Chicago
Want your kids to learn about religion? Send them to church or private school.