Trump Kicks Off Week Advocating "Bible Literacy" Classes in Schools

Feb 2014
Oregon
Trump Kicks Off the Week by Pushing ‘Bible Literacy Classes’
View attachment 2825

President Donald Trump, fresh off an embarrassing loss on the shutdown and his wall to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, is turning his attention from the Southern border to an entirely different topic: religion.

The President, desperate to shore up his rapidly dropping polling numbers, kicked off the week with a tweet aimed at the only segment of his base that is still sticking by him: Christian Evangelicals. (And the cult members participating on here Defending the Truth)

"Numerous states introducing Bible Literacy classes, giving students the option of studying the Bible," Trump tweeted. "Starting to make a turn back? Great!"

View attachment 2826

It was not clear what he meant by, "Starting to make a turn back?" but presumably he meant toward God and religion.

In many if not most cases, "Bible Literacy classes" are just ways to get around the fact that public schools cannot use religion in class. By claiming to study the Bible as a work unrelated to the religion it preaches, some think they can sidestep the constitutional wall between church and state.

Trump may have been motivated by an article in last week's USA Today that reveals a "wave of 'Bible literacy' bills" are "emerging in state legislatures."

"Some of the lawmakers – and leaders of Christian groups supporting the bills – say they want to restore traditional values in schools and give students a chance to study the religious text deeply," USA Today notes.

"The Bible is an integral part of our society and deserves a place in the classroom,” said Republican state Rep. Aaron McWilliams of North Dakota, a co-sponsor of a bill that would require the state's public high schools to offer an elective on Bible studies.

UPDATE: 10:31 AM ET –
NCRM would like to apologize for suggesting President Trump might have been reading a newspaper. Apparently the tweet was likely in response to a Fox News segment:

View attachment 2827

"In many if not most cases, "Bible Literacy classes" are just ways to get around the fact that public schools cannot use religion in class. By claiming to study the Bible as a work unrelated to the religion it preaches, some think they can sidestep the constitutional wall between church and state."

Does anybody else find it appalling that these state legislatures are using deceit and dishonesty in order to break the law and teach the Bible and about Christianity? Do you think any of them even consider the hypocrisy showing?
If we want to return to education for good moral judgment, that means a liberal education. It is the education Thomas Jefferson thought was essential to having a strong republic, and he was a diest who edited the Bible to be compatible with science.

In 1958 we replaced liberal education with education for technology and left moral training to the church. Now we are in serious trouble with people thinking moral is about religion instead of understanding what it has to do with reason, liberty, and democracy- rule by reason. I will stop repeating myself when others understand what I am saying. Until then I will write about what it means to defend our democracy in the classroom and what has gone wrong with our nation.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Barsoom
Want your kids to learn about the history and founding of the US, teach the principles of the Bible are used to govern the US.

Nov 2012
Kekistan
Want your kids to learn about religion? Send them to church or private school.
You are apparently to stupid to know what an elective even is. Now stop labeling me. I understand you got to your little marxist sites, that teach you how to argue narratives. I get it that you have to assign people in these little boxes or you are not able to make your points.

Nov 2012
Kekistan
Small government mentality, more or less. No?
Yes, of course I am small government. Why would any rational person, especially who argues for democracy, advocate for a system that is ran entirely by bureaucrats who are not elected and even make the laws. A person who does not understand that the bureaucracy is who makes the laws either lives in a dream world or is very ignorant of how government works. So, yes. Because I actually do understand what a Republic is I reject mob rule and I expects the Democratically elected Republic for of government to do its job.What I do not expect and I oppose is unelected bureaucrats deciding law. As long as someone screams more government they are in fact denouncing the very Democracy they scream about while pointing fingers at anyone who disagrees with them and calling those person nazi. It would be wonderful if the leftist idiots would actually read what fascism is. They wont though. Way to close to home for them

May 2018
Chicago
You are apparently to stupid to know what an elective even is. Now stop labeling me. I understand you got to your little marxist sites, that teach you how to argue narratives. I get it that you have to assign people in these little boxes or you are not able to make your points.
I am well aware of what an elective class is. I am opposed to teaching religion in schools, unless it is talked about in historical sense, such as the Crusades and such. I'm not sure how I "labeled" you.

The only debate site I use is this one, so I'm not sure what that "marxist sites" comment was that you made was all about. Talk about assigning people to boxes.

I am in not a marxist. I'm in advertising for god's sake. The free market is my bread and butter. However, I do recognize that free market has limitations and isn't the best solution for everything. If in your mind that's what makes a marxist, then you might want to look up the definition.

Nov 2012
Kekistan
I am well aware of what an elective class is. I am opposed to teaching religion in schools, unless it is talked about in historical sense, such as the Crusades and such. I'm not sure how I "labeled" you.

The only debate site I use is this one, so I'm not sure what that "marxist sites" comment was that you made was all about. Talk about assigning people to boxes.

I am in not a marxist. I'm in advertising for god's sake. The free market is my bread and butter. However, I do recognize that free market has limitations and isn't the best solution for everything. If in your mind that's what makes a marxist, then you might want to look up the definition.
This
Want your kids to learn about religion? Send them to church or private school.
Never said I had kids(labeling). Never said I wanted any kids to learn about religion(labeling). Although I noted you used a question mark, the implication was clear.

You believe that people have a right, through a vote to limit personal ownership of property and wealth, am I correct?

May 2018
Chicago
This

Never said I had kids(labeling). Never said I wanted any kids to learn about religion(labeling). Although I noted you used a question mark, the implication was clear.

You believe that people have a right, through a vote to limit personal ownership of property and wealth, am I correct?
What the fuck? I used “your” in the collective sense. I didn’t mean you personally. Good god, get over yourself. As far as your second sentence goes, no. Where are you getting this garbage?

Dec 2015
Arizona
You cannot offer only one side of an "elective" point of view in the public schools.
:cool:
Thank you, Tristan. WHY has the discussion devolved into something we've already discussed---MORE THAN ONCE.
Public schools can offer classes on religion--religions of the world. Public schools cannot legally teach ONE religion. Teachers cannot preach one religion. Teachers cannot LEAD prayer or bible study. Students, on the other hand, can do whatever they want on their own time.
Trump is an idiot who doesn't read THE BIBLE or anything else, for that matter. When he makes comments like "Let's have Bible Literacy classes in public schools" he shows his ignorance of U.S. history and law and he only says things like this to "FEED" his base. They love this crap.