Trump thinks he knows more about making cars ......

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
....... than the auto makers !!! Does he truly not understand ? There is a reason car makers want clear simple rules across the board and across the country. Shouldn't he maybe "catch a clue" when the very industry he is trying to deregulate is going "WHOA THERE BIG BOY" ?? Telling him they DO NOT WANT his "deregulation" ?? Instead he goes out and calls them "foolish" ???? Sales of new cars and new houses are two of THE biggest drivers of our economy. Mess with either and you can easily trigger an economic down turn. If the car makers are saying WE DO NOT WANT THIS, you'd think El Presidente' "I'm a successful business man" would understand ???

Trump slams auto execs as 'foolish' after they bucked his emissions rules rollback

Apr 2013
La La Land North
What I want to know is why would gas guzzlers be safer. Yes, he actually said that. Mind you, he also looked up to the sky and said "I am the chosen one" so claiming gas guzzlers are safer is mild in comparison.

Oct 2010
Colorado
What I want to know is why would gas guzzlers be safer. Yes, he actually said that. Mind you, he also looked up to the sky and said "I am the chosen one" so claiming gas guzzlers are safer is mild in comparison.
Well.........

Think, if you were in an 18-wheeler, and some simpleton liberal driving a Pious .... er, a Prius pulled out in front of you, who'd win?

Actually, some of the safest cars are cars like a Toyota, or a Honda.

Sep 2017
Hell
It is not the gas guzzling, but the size. Larger cars by nature of their size are generally going to need more energy than with smaller cars of similar years and propulsion methods.

Well.........

Think, if you were in an 18-wheeler, and some simpleton liberal driving a Pious .... er, a Prius pulled out in front of you, who'd win?

Actually, some of the safest cars are cars like a Toyota, or a Honda.
NHTSA give out their rating based on comparsion of cars of same weight class. So a five star rating for a small car is only five stars against similar small car.

Edmunds:
Bigger Cars Are Safer Than Smaller Ones

New small cars are safer than they've ever been, but new larger, heavier vehicles are still safer than small ones. It's a matter of physics: Bigger and heavier is safer than smaller and lighter. Large vehicles weigh more and have longer hoods and bigger crush zones, which gives them an advantage in frontal crashes.

In its studies, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has found that a heavier vehicle will typically push a lighter one backward during the impact. As a result, there is less force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on those in the lighter vehicle, according to IIHS. The organization's fatality data bears this out. The lowest 2015 death rate by vehicle type is for very large SUVs: 13 deaths per million registered vehicles. The highest is for mini cars: 64 deaths per million registered vehicles.

<<snip>>

Crash Test Scores Don't Compare Across Size Classes
One thing that can confuse car buyers is that cars of various sizes can carry identical safety ratings, making it seem that a small car is just as safe as a large SUV. It's not so.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has its five-star safety ratings. IIHS does its own crash tests and rates cars for crashworthiness from Good to Poor, based on the driver's ability to survive a crash.

These ratings are only useful when you're comparing cars within the same size class. If a small car has a five-star rating from NHTSA, that doesn't mean it will protect you as well as five-star-rated large sedan. The same holds true for a Good rating from the IIHS.

"The ratings are meant to be used to compare crashes with vehicles of similar size," said Adrian Lund, president of the IIHS. "You can't really go between the segments with these ratings."

IIHS produced this video in 2009 to illustrate the differences in what happens to different-size cars in a crash: The smaller car loses. As Lund says in the video, "While all cars have gotten safer in recent years, you can't repeal the laws of physics."
Are Small Cars Safe? | Edmunds

Jul 2014
massachusetts
For the same reason automakers don't like the rules change, electric companies aren't rushing out to build coal plants, because Trump's executive actions will be overturned on the first day his successor is in office, and using a business model based on Trump rules could be a very expensive mistake, long before it goes into production.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
The size aspect is a relative phenomenon. If all cars were smaller, the size aspect advantage would lessen significantly since most large vehicles are driven by professionals. And anyone with two bits of brain to rub together knows that you avoid RVs like the plague.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
It is not the gas guzzling, but the size. Larger cars by nature of their size are generally going to need more energy than with smaller cars of similar years and propulsion methods.

NHTSA give out their rating based on comparsion of cars of same weight class. So a five star rating for a small car is only five stars against similar small car.

Edmunds:

Are Small Cars Safe? | Edmunds
Just don't care all that much. I like getting 42/mpg on the freeway. This cheap gas is not going to last forever.