trump threatened Germany with tariffs over Iran Deal

Jul 2019
Georgia
he's doing this shit on a world wide level, folks, it ain't just Ukraine. he is risking our national security and sacrificing our livelihood for personal gain, on a world wide level

confirmed by Germany's defense minister

“Germany’s defense minister on Thursday confirmed a report that the United States was threatening to impose a 25% tariff on European car exports if it continues backing the Iran nuclear deal.”

Dec 2018
Indiana
he's doing this shit on a world wide level, folks, it ain't just Ukraine. he is risking our national security and sacrificing our livelihood for personal gain, on a world wide level

confirmed by Germany's defense minister

“Germany’s defense minister on Thursday confirmed a report that the United States was threatening to impose a 25% tariff on European car exports if it continues backing the Iran nuclear deal.”
What a sick controlling SOB. Thanks again for nothing, Republicans.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I'm wondering what he was trying to extort from the Chinese with all those tariffs

I remember he was about to work a deal one time, maybe a year ago, and all of a sudden came out with "nope, instead I'm going to increase!"

I thought it was bizarre at the time, but now I see it may be because he didn't get something he wanted from them.

and didn't he tariff french wine or something at some point?

May 2018
none
I have to be fair, this is not the same as Ukraine at all. This is not a personal issue. Trump can do this. It's not illegal.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I'm wondering what he was trying to extort from the Chinese with all those tariffs

I remember he was about to work a deal one time, maybe a year ago, and all of a sudden came out with "nope, instead I'm going to increase!"

I thought it was bizarre at the time, but now I see it may be because he didn't get something he wanted from them.

and didn't he tariff french wine or something at some point?
Yup, just recently, but who cares? It's not like he put a tariff on French coal or something like that....

Trump's tariffs on European wine have
American businesses begging for relief
American wine shop owners and importers already dealing with tariffs on European imports pleaded with US trade officials for relief Tuesday, arguing that adding a 100% tariff on French wine and Champagne threatened by President Donald Trump would devastate their industry.​
"My company will surely disappear if 100% tariffs are imposed on European wines," said Jenny Lefcourt, who started her New York City-based import business called Jenny and Francois Selections about 20 years ago​
The wine industry is caught up in two separate trade spats.​
The Trump administration imposed a 25% tariff on most European wine in October, in retaliation for the subsidies Europe provided to aircraft maker Airbus. Since then, the administration has threatened to raise the rate because of a lack of progress in resolving the issue.​
Trump has also threatened a new tariff on sparkling French wine, including Champagne, to punish France for imposing a tax on digital services. A report released by the US Trade Representative's Office last month found that the tax, which affects large American tech companies like Facebook and Google, represents a barrier to trade.
But unlike other imports targeted by Trump -- Chinese-made industrial materials, for example -- wines are highly specific. Sellers can't simply substitute a sparkling wine from California for a French Champagne.​
"The importance of wine or Champagne lies in the label," said William Tomaszewski, general counsel for Wine.com, an online retailer. "These products are by no means interchangeable," he added.​
At the trade office hearing Tuesday, which was meant to focus on the French-related tariffs, many small business owners said that these duties would inflict harm on US companies, workers and consumers -- rather than resolve the US issue with aircraft makers or digital service industry.​
"If Google and Facebook have to make a few less billion dollars, it would be a lot less painful than if I have to lose my means of survival," said Mary Taylor, who recently quit her job on Wall Street to start a small importing business called Mary Taylor Wines.​
"How can you just gut my family business?" she asked.​

More: Trump's tariffs on European wine have American businesses begging for relief

Reactions: se7en
Jul 2019
Georgia
I have to be fair, this is not the same as Ukraine at all. This is not a personal issue. Trump can do this. It's not illegal.
I wasn't really focusing on the legality of it, but rather I found the similarity to be him threatening other countries in exchange for something he wants.

the German defense minister used the word "threat" and one European official likened it to "extortion"

and I was thinking the personal gain would be to give him more "justification" for escalating tensions with Iran

increased tariffs hurt US businesses and consumers

if he really was trying to do good, he could have used what they call diplomacy, instead of threats

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I wasn't really focusing on the legality of it, but rather I found the similarity to be him threatening other countries in exchange for something he wants.

the German defense minister used the word "threat" and one European official likened it to "extortion"

and I was thinking the personal gain would be to give him more "justification" for escalating tensions with Iran

if he really was trying to do good, he could have used what they call diplomacy, instead of threats
Trump don't do diplomacy. Bribes, threats, but not diplomacy.

May 2018
none

That's fine, but I do not think we should be comparing this to the Ukraine situation. Let's at least try to be fair here. This is the kind of thing the right wingers will latch onto and give us hell for.

Jul 2019
Georgia
That's fine, but I do not think we should be comparing this to the Ukraine situation. Let's at least try to be fair here. This is the kind of thing the right wingers will latch onto and give us hell for.
I wasn't really comparing it to the Ukraine situation, but duly noted

I'm still pissed about it, is that allowed? ;)