Trump to amend Constitution with executive order

Dec 2016
Canada
The dumbest argument I have seen by liberals is using the children born of diplomats without understanding what it means and how it applies to children born of any aliens. They both regard the same jurisdiction.
Could you explain one nagging question to me from the 08 Election campaign: unlike Obama...... why was John McCain's eligibility to be a presidential candidate never challenged? Even though he was born in the Panama Canal Zone prior to it being designated a U.S. territory? That meant neither he, nor a previous Republican presidential candidate - George Romney in 68( born in Mexico to Mormon missionary parents), met the qualifications as natural born citizens of the USA....and yet they were still allowed to run for president!

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Could you explain one nagging question to me from the 08 Election campaign: unlike Obama...... why was John McCain's eligibility to be a presidential candidate never challenged? Even though he was born in the Panama Canal Zone prior to it being designated a U.S. territory? That meant neither he, nor a previous Republican presidential candidate - George Romney in 68( born in Mexico to Mormon missionary parents), met the qualifications as natural born citizens of the USA....and yet they were still allowed to run for president!
Because the US has always had blood right citizenship rather than birthright citizenship. This concept dates to King Edward in 1315 regarding soldiers who were gone for extensive periods of time and started families while abroad so the children had legal status in the home country. The Naturalization Act of 1790:

And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond Sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born Citizens: Provided, that the right of citizenship shall not descend to persons whose fathers have never been resident in the United States: Provided also, that no person heretofore proscribed by any States, shall be admitted a citizen as aforesaid, except by an Act of the Legislature of the State in which such person was proscribed.​

Dec 2016
Canada
Because the US has always had blood right citizenship rather than birthright citizenship. This concept dates to King Edward in 1315 regarding soldiers who were gone for extensive periods of time and started families while abroad so the children had legal status in the home country. The Naturalization Act of 1790:

And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond Sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born Citizens: Provided, that the right of citizenship shall not descend to persons whose fathers have never been resident in the United States: Provided also, that no person heretofore proscribed by any States, shall be admitted a citizen as aforesaid, except by an Act of the Legislature of the State in which such person was proscribed.​
Yes, and the fact that my mother was still a US citizen with Landed Immigrant Status in Canada until much later in life, was why I was able to apply and receive US citizenship when I was young and had been living all my life in Canada!

But, if I was granted citizenship because of 'blood right' and so were McCain and Romney, why didn't the same apply for Obama...who had an American mother after all?

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Yes, and the fact that my mother was still a US citizen with Landed Immigrant Status in Canada until much later in life, was why I was able to apply and receive US citizenship when I was young and had been living all my life in Canada!

But, if I was granted citizenship because of 'blood right' and so were McCain and Romney, why didn't the same apply for Obama...who had an American mother after all?
Obama was born on US soil, and his mother was a US citizen.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Great! But what was all the crap about his birth certificate then? It should have been a moot point anyway, unless Trump&Co. were challenging his mother's birth certificate also.
I would not have mattered if Obama had been born in Kenya. The naturalization law in his year of birth with his mother being a US citizen would have made him a natural born citizen.

Dec 2016
Canada
I would not have mattered if Obama had been born in Kenya. The naturalization law in his year of birth with his mother being a US citizen would have made him a natural born citizen.
Thanks for indulging, and I know this veers right off the thread topic; but this means that the whole Obama Birth Certificate controversy that was promoted by Trump, Fox News and an assortment of Republican fraudsters was complete and utter bullshit and they knew it all along, and kept a phony controversy going instead of going at real issues...that might have been of substance.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Thanks for indulging, and I know this veers right off the thread topic; but this means that the whole Obama Birth Certificate controversy that was promoted by Trump, Fox News and an assortment of Republican fraudsters was complete and utter bullshit and they knew it all along, and kept a phony controversy going instead of going at real issues...that might have been of substance.
It was a stupid issue the whole time. All that mattered was Obamas mother's citizenship and the law the year he was born. Congress has plenary power over naturalization under Article I.