trump to pay $2 million to settle trump Foundation lawsuit

Jul 2019
Georgia
How can his "base" remain loyal? He settled his Florida Man University problems by settling for a payment of $25 million, and now his crooked foundation was hauled into court for using CHARITY money to pay his business expenses and for other illegal uses, resulting in him settling by paying another $2 million. I mean the guy is a crook. He's a friggin mob boss. And his "base" stays with him. They have to be only listening to sources that won't tell them the truth. How stupid can people be? And when we come right down to it, the problem isn't so much Florida Man as it is his damned dumb "base". Mussolini would be proud.
his base has no morals, and would also be that crooked if they were ever given any power.

they actually love his criminality, because it makes them feel better about themselves

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Let this sink in.

Trump settled. And in that settlement, Trump admitted to improperly using his charity. He signed the settlement. He admitted to wrong-doing.

Now he's complaining that he has to pay? Why? Because he knows a good majority of people won't actually look at the fact that he admitted to wrong-doing.

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
his base has no morals, and would also be that crooked if they were ever given any power.

they actually love his criminality, because it makes them feel better about themselves
I have sadly come to understand that this is primarily true...I do not like seeing people this way, but there it is.

Sep 2019
Here
The details:

On June 14, 2018, the new New York attorney general Barbara Underwoodfiled a civil suit against the foundation, Trump himself, and Trump's three adult children, Ivanka, Eric, and Donald Jr. alleging that they had engaged in "extensive unlawful political conduct" and that Donald Trump had been using the foundation "as his personal checkbook," to, among other things, settle his personal legal debts and support his presidential campaign.[136][13] The suit sought $2.8 million in restitution and the dissolution of the foundation.[137][138] The suit noted that Trump himself made all decisions about disbursement of foundation funds and that the board of directors hadn't met for 18 years.[139] Underwood's office also referred suspected Federal campaign and tax law violations to the Federal Election Commission and to the IRS.[38]
On August 30, 2018, Trump attorney Alan Futerfas filed a motion to dismiss Underwood's suit, claiming it was without merit and was a result of "pervasive bias" by former New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman, who had supervised the investigation before resigning that May. On October 4, 2018, Attorney General Underwood filed a memorandum opposing the motion, instead strengthening the charges against the Trump Foundation and now alleging, among other claims, that the full $2.8 million of distributions resulting from the January 2016 Iowa fundraiser represented illegal campaign contributions that needed to be repaid.[59]The memorandum also stated that the foundation had engaged in "persistent illegality", adding "Trump used his control over the ... Foundation for his benefit to advance his personal, business, and political interests in violation of federal and state law governing charities."[62]
On October 25, 2018, Justice Saliann Scarpulla heard a hearing on the motion. Justice Scarpulla suggested that she would wait to issue a ruling on the motion until the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division issued a decision in a separate case (a defamation suit brought by Summer Zervos against Trump) on the issue of whether a sitting U.S. president may be sued in state court at all.[140][141] On November 23, 2018, Scarpulla denied Trump's motion to dismiss, affirming that a sitting U.S. president can face "a civil lawsuit in state court for actions not taken in his official capacity" and citing the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Clinton v. Jones (1997).[142]
On November 7, 2019, Scarpulla ordered Trump to pay a $2 million settlement for misusing the Foundation for his business and political purposes.[16]

I don't understand why using your own foundation money for your political purposes is against the law. I suppose it's then political money, given to the foundation by others, that exceed the $2,500 limit?

Jul 2019
Georgia
I don't understand why using your own foundation money for your political purposes is against the law. I suppose it's then political money, given to the foundation by others, that exceed the $2,500 limit?
because it was a charitable foundation
he was supposed to be giving the funds to charity

~~~~

did we know about the Ukrainian Oligarch's donation to the fake charity?

Receiving donation from Ukrainian oligarch during campaign for president[edit]
In 2015 Ukrainian Victor Pinchuk made a $150,000 donation to the Trump Foundation in return for Trump's appearance by video conference link at the Yalta European Strategy Conference. The appearance was broadcast on a large screen and lasted only twenty minutes, including delays caused by translation and by technical difficulties. Pinchuk is the son-in-law of former Ukrainian president Lionid Kuchma. In 2018 the New York Times reported that the office of Special Counsel Robert Mueller was investigating the donation as a possible illegal in-kind campaign contribution from a foreign national intended to curry favor with then-candidate Trump.[123][124]