Twenty year old born blind, denied disability....

Nov 2012
Colorado
My daughter, who has multiple disabilities, was denied supplemental disability because she does not have enough work credits. Hasn't paid into social security. WTF?!
But my sister, who has made poor choice after poor choice, has housing, health insurance, disability, home care, and food stamps.

We've never asked for a dime for our daughter, but we're getting older and want to know she'll be able to get help, so much for that!

Talk about frustration!! :angry:

May 2018
USA
My daughter, who has multiple disabilities, was denied supplemental disability because she does not have enough work credits. Hasn't paid into social security. WTF?!
But my sister, who has made poor choice after poor choice, has housing, health insurance, disability, home care, and food stamps.

We've never asked for a dime for our daughter, but we're getting older and want to know she'll be able to get help, so much for that!

You should send a letter of thanks to your GOP representatives.

Nov 2012
Colorado
You should send a letter of thanks to your GOP representatives.
I was hoping for something a little less partisan. But, my sister sure loves Obama.

Actually, I wondered if I was going in the right direction, or is there something other than social security?

May 2018
Chicago
I was hoping for something a little less partisan. But, my sister sure loves Obama.

Actually, I wondered if I was going in the right direction, or is there something other than social security?
You are going in the right direction. Social Security should be helping with this. That's one of the reasons its there in the first place.

May 2018
USA

Sorry, couldn't resist since you are apparently a GOP partisan.

There's welfare, of course. But the GOP is putting work requirements on people who are physically incapable of working, so I wouldn't put much faith into getting the welfare rolling.

If YOU die, or your daughter's Dad dies (assuming you are the female), then your daughter MAY qualify to receive one of the parent's SSI payments. That, hopefully, is far in the future but will probably be too late to help your daughter.

Regarding your sister, perhaps she had a husband die and she's getting his SSI? That's what usually happens when one spouse (head of household) dies.

Sorry, wish I could offer more advice but my knowledge on this topic is pretty limited. I've never been on government aid for anything. This may sound insulting, but the best person to talk to is a welfare queen. They know the ins and outs. So...head to the next MAGA rally in your county and make some connections.

Nov 2012
Colorado
Sorry, couldn't resist since you are apparently a GOP partisan.

There's welfare, of course. But the GOP is putting work requirements on people who are physically incapable of working, so I wouldn't put much faith into getting the welfare rolling.

If YOU die, or your daughter's Dad dies (assuming you are the female), then your daughter MAY qualify to receive one of the parent's SSI payments. That, hopefully, is far in the future but will probably be too late to help your daughter.

Regarding your sister, perhaps she had a husband die and she's getting his SSI? That's what usually happens when one spouse (head of household) dies.

Sorry, wish I could offer more advice but my knowledge on this topic is pretty limited. I've never been on government aid for anything. This may sound insulting, but the best person to talk to is a welfare queen. They know the ins and outs. So...head to the next MAGA rally in your county and make some connections.
Thanks for the comments.
I'm more libertarian than anything. Always voted democrat in the past, but the working man/woman no longer applies.
My sister was married once for a year and it was annulled. She did a lot of things that put her in her situation. None were accidental, or unavoidable. We don't see eye to eye, but she doesn't want to admit that it is my and my husbands, and all else who pay taxes, that support her. She likes to believe the government just has extra monies to hand her. And that it really is free! I guess that makes it easier for her to take it.:unknw:

Nov 2012
Chicago
Sorry to hear about your daughter's physical problems. have you considered contacting the National Ass. for the Blind, or whatever it's called? I'm sure they would know all the options.
:mellow:

Nov 2012
Colorado
Sorry to hear about your daughter's physical problems. have you considered contacting the National Ass. for the Blind, or whatever it's called? I'm sure they would know all the options.
:mellow:
Funny thing, being blind alone is not considered a disability. ( so far as being employable goes) I'd been trying for five years to get her cognitive tests evaluated, they finally concluded that she has the mental capacity of an eight year old, which puts her into the multiple disorders category. But that's another ball game itself.

Dec 2016
Canada

Sorry to hear about this, and again I'm wondering what sort of place is America turning into today???? But, I got to say, if you're implying your sister should have failed some sort of litmus test and should not have been given aid; you're giving the state the power to misapply the same litmus tests to deny financial aid to your daughter.

I live in a neighbourhood that is largely new immigrant and welfare recipients, and it's easy to point fingers at the single moms and mentally disabled(often self-inflicted drug and alcohol abuse) and demand "what's wrong with you" and say "you get nothing unless you work for it," at people who pretty much have been unemployable through most if not all their lives, but, I don't give a crap what or how they have ended up where they are...sometimes it's people who just haven't been able to handle life as well as others....and that begs the question: were there events and situations early in your life that you struggled through that your sister was not able to cope with?

I don't give a crap if it means I have to pay higher taxes (cause wealthier people can dodge them), I want to live in a society where nobody falls through the cracks...and that doesn't even describe Canada anymore...let alone America!

Nov 2012
Michigan
I don’t have first hand experience but I’ve heard that almost all disability claims are turned down the first time. Get a lawyer and try again.