Two Wyoming coal mines close, send 700 workers home after bankruptcy filing

Apr 2013
La La Land North
The only thing I can tell is that he is not allowing regulations to be weaponized to just close down coal plants. I do not think he can do anything to stop the natural death of the coal industry. Although if this trade war does end, I believe you will see a rather large resurgence of coal mining for the short term. India has made up for some of the lost Chinese exports, but not nearly enough to sustain
Regulations weaponized? You mean like trying to keep mercury out of the environment. Are spewing carcinogenic chemicals OK? And who cares about a little more acid rain, right?

May 2019
USA
Yes, we have polluted the earth enough, now let's go to the outer limit and pollute endlessly there. At what point does our negligence cease and our responsibility begin?
Is there a moral reason to compromise the quality of life on this planet at the expense of a lifeless swath of outer space? Life itself is an endangered species.

Feb 2007
USA
There will come a winter when people are shivering wondering why they have no heat in their homes.
...even though a Btu that is derived mainly from electricity from the grid or locally produced and that is feed by renewable energy is the same as a Btu that is derived mainly from locally utilized fossil fuels or from electricity from the grid that is feed by the use of fossil fuels.

And, in the US in general, utility scale renewable energy is now quite cost competitive with traditional energy producing technologies...of which is the main reason why utility companies across the country have a primary focus on renewable energy technologies over more traditional energy producing sources.

:rolleyes:

Feb 2007
USA
Nuclear is the only forever option. Solar is a disaster in the making once all those panels start piling up in landfills. It also requires a lot of land that damages habitat, and birds burst into flames flying over them.
Actually, a few PV solar panel manufacturers, as well as other companies, are already recycling PV solar panels. (Indeed, recycling such panels is already a legal requirement in Germany. And it is very likely to become a legal requirement in other countries as well, such as in the US.) It's just that, at this point in time, there just aren't a lot of PV solar panels that need recycling just yet since the bulk of them that are being used today still haven't reached the end of their useful lifespans.

And there are a variety of solar technologies, and not just the two central tower-related thermal solar plants that are in, say, the US. (Indeed, there is also PV-based solar, as well as parabolic trough-related thermal solar.) And, of course, there are certainly ways to minimize their impacts on the environment, such as the changes that have been made to the central tower-related thermal solar plants in the US.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Actually, a few PV solar panel manufacturers, as well as other companies, are already recycling PV solar panels. (Indeed, recycling such panels is already a legal requirement in Germany. And it is very likely to become a legal requirement in other countries as well, such as in the US.) It's just that, at this point in time, there just aren't a lot of PV solar panels that need recycling just yet since the bulk of them that are being used today still haven't reached the end of their useful lifespans.

And there are a variety of solar technologies, and not just the two central tower-related thermal solar plants that are in, say, the US. (Indeed, there is also PV-based solar, as well as parabolic trough-related thermal solar.) And, of course, there are certainly ways to minimize their impacts on the environment, such as the changes that have been made to the central tower-related thermal solar plants in the US.

Do your mean Photo-Electric? I still might cover my roof with photo-electric cells to get off the grid. What does PV mean? edit: After giving more thought, I bet PV means photo-voltaic. Einstein was the first to describe the photo-electric effect.

Last edited:
Feb 2007
USA
Do your mean Photo-Electric? I still might cover my roof with photo-electric cells to get off the grid. What does PV mean?
Oh, it's just shorthand for "photovoltaic" solar. Those are the typical solar panels that are found on rooftops, or in fields. And they produce DC power when exposed to the sun. (And, yes, they work upon the basic "photoelectric" principle that, by the way, Einstein theorized and won the Nobel Prize for.)

(I do recall that we talked about your potential plans awhile back. I guess you haven't made that investment yet. Those panels are still getting cheaper and cheaper. Plus, you have better options now for battery storage than you did just a few years ago. So, maybe now is the time for you to dive in to solar? I still think, though, that updating your primary heating/cooling system first might be the best overall strategy, for a variety of reasons, before adding solar to the mix. The good thing is PV solar power is quite modular by design...meaning that it is relatively easy to add more capacity in stages and as needed.)

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Oh, it's just shorthand for "photovoltaic" solar. Those are the typical solar panels that are found on rooftops, or in fields. And they produce DC power when exposed to the sun. (And, they work upon the basic photoelectric principle that Einstein theorized and won the Nobel Prize for.)

(I do recall that we talked about your potential plans awhile back. I guess you haven't made that investment yet. Those panels are still getting cheaper and cheaper. Plus, you have better options now for battery storage than you did just a few years ago. So, maybe now is the time for you to dive in to solar? I still think, though, that updating your primary heating/cooling system first might be the best overall strategy, for a variety of reasons, before adding solar to the mix. The good thing is PV solar power is quite modular by design...meaning that it is relatively easy to add more capacity in stages and as needed.)
It is difficult for an old man to keep up with modern day argot. I forgot to mention that I get free electricity from the electric utility and why I have not gotten off the grid. edit: Let the electric utility give me free electricity.

Last edited:
Feb 2007
USA
It is difficult for an old man to keep up with modern day argot. I forgot to mention that I get free electricity from the electric utility and why I have gotten off the grid.
"Old man?!" Well, reading some of your more science-related postings here, you certainly seem to be as sharp as a tack, so to speak. And heck, if it helps, just consider your many years as being merely many trips around the sun. And you've just taking a few more trips around the sun than some other folks around here have. Kinda like a classic or antique car with many miles, but which never looses its appeal. :)

(And, I guess if you get free electricity, then perhaps why even go off the grid in the first place?)