Two Wyoming coal mines close, send 700 workers home after bankruptcy filing

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
"Old man?!" Well, reading some of your more science-related postings here, you certainly seem to be as sharp as a tack, so to speak. And heck, if it helps, just consider your many years as being merely many trips around the sun. And you've just taking a few more trips around the sun than some other folks around here have. Kinda like a classic or antique car with many miles, but which never looses its appeal. :)

(And, I guess if you get free electricity, then perhaps why even go off the grid in the first place?)
I just paid cash up front for a new Jeep Wrangler because I got stuck in the snow twice last winter. I am too old to get stuck in the snow.

Feb 2007
USA
I just paid cash up front for a new Jeep Wrangler because I got stuck in the snow twice last winter. I am too old to get stuck in the snow.
Now that new 4-wheel drive vehicle sounds rather nice. And I've kinda liked the Jeep Wrangler look through the years. Nice choice! :) (Though I've got a rather durable Tacoma 4x4 for the snowy winters here in New England.)

And, both vehicles surely beat those classic 1970's era single rear wheel drive land yachts many people drove years ago with regards to driving around in deep snow!

Feb 2007
USA
And regarding energy sources which have seemingly passed their hey day, so to speak, perhaps the days are numbered regarding fracking for gas in the US.:

More Signs That Natural Gas Can’t Compete With Renewables on Cost

By Justin Mikulka • Friday, July 5, 2019 - 09:25

From a natural gas industry conference to a major metropolitan area, more signs are emerging that natural gas is in a losing economic battle with renewables and battery storage. And considering recent news that existing fossil fuel projects are already enough to push the world past international climate goals, this emerging economic reality couldn't come soon enough.

Take the dire warning about the U.S. fracked shale gas industry that came from a former fracking CEO.

Now I tell you all this because I think it has long-term implications for the end users of natural gas. This situation cannot continue indefinitely,” Steve Schlotterbeck explained at a recent petrochemical and gas industry conference. “There will be a reckoning and the only question is whether it happens in a controlled manner or whether it comes as an unexpected shock to the system.”

As reported by DeSmog, these comments by the former CEO of drilling company EQT were part of a larger presentation in which he laid out the scale of financial failure associated with fracking for natural gas and oil. The implications Schlotterbeck mentioned are important and center on the fact that natural gas prices — and thus the costs for end users like natural gas power plants — can only go up, likely by a large amount.

Right now, natural gas prices are artificially low because fracking companies have been producing record amounts of natural gas at a loss. As Schlotterbeck points out, this is an unsustainable business model. But it has supplied natural gas consumers with artificially cheap energy, giving natural gas a competitive edge over the dying coal and nuclear power industries.

Continued here:

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/07/05/signs-natural-gas-cannot-compete-renewables-cost

Feb 2007
USA
And meanwhile...

168,137 views Jul 1, 2019, 12:03am

New Solar + Battery Price Crushes Fossil Fuels, Buries Nuclear

Jeff McMahon Contributor
Green Tech

Los Angeles Power and Water officials have struck a deal on the largest and cheapest solar + battery-storage project in the world, at prices that leave fossil fuels in the dust and may relegate nuclear power to the dustbin.

Later this month the LA Board of Water and Power Commissioners is expected to approve a 25-year contract that will serve 7 percent of the city's electricity demand at 1.997¢/kwh for solar energy and 1.3¢ for power from batteries.

"This is the lowest solar-photovoltaic price in the United States," said James Barner, the agency's manager for strategic initiatives, "and it is the largest and lowest-cost solar and high-capacity battery-storage project in the U.S. and we believe in the world today. So this is, I believe, truly revolutionary in the industry."

It's half the estimated cost of power from a new natural gas plant.

Continued here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2019/07/01/new-solar--battery-price-crushes-fossil-fuels-buries-nuclear/#3011a0575971

Apr 2013
La La Land North
And regarding energy sources which have seemingly passed their hey day, so to speak, perhaps the days are numbered regarding fracking for gas in the US.:
That is an unnecessarily alarmist view, and wrong. Yes, natural gas might increase in cost, but it will be in the range of small percentages. There are lots of underutilized gas sources, so many in fact that the US and Canada are rapidly ramping up gas liquefaction plants to allow transport to Asia and Europe by ship. These puppies cost several Billion dollars to build, so rest assured long and deep analysis was done before committing to such an expenditure.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
Lets be realistic. To tell the coal miners were going to take away you livelihood like Obama and Clinton as if they were judging them was just as bad. A good argument could be made that Clinton lost the election when she went to war with them instead of offering them hope. She could have campaigned for new industry, green technology to come to the rust belt and the coal area's. Instead she doubled down on elitism and looked down her nose at them. The fall out was a if you pick on one you pick on us all. She lost.
What America Needs Is an Ambidextrous Guillotine

All "deplorable" means is "My Daddy's rich and you stink." Even when pretending to be for the working class, pampered and sheltered Leftists like hillary have always despised people who have to do hard physical work.

Sep 2014
Three year old article. Tell us, what do you think the environmental damage is when a coal company blows the top off an entire mountain ?? How many animals die do you think ?? How many birds die each year inhaling the crap that spews out of smoke stacks all over the country ?? How much damage to wildlife occurred when the 39,000 TONS coal ash got dumped into a river in North Carolina ??
Timmy Treadwell, Ursine Cuisine

Only spoiled brats whose attitudes have degenerated into the wordview of primitive savages personify wild beasts.

Sep 2014
More Proof That Liberals Are Agents of the Right Wing They Were Born In

Plastic is a petrochemical. Big Oil is behind the anti-logging movement, which restricts the production of paper and wood because they compete with plastic. Of course, coal also cuts into the petrocracy's market share.

May 2019
USA
Actually, a few PV solar panel manufacturers, as well as other companies, are already recycling PV solar panels. (Indeed, recycling such panels is already a legal requirement in Germany. And it is very likely to become a legal requirement in other countries as well, such as in the US.) It's just that, at this point in time, there just aren't a lot of PV solar panels that need recycling just yet since the bulk of them that are being used today still haven't reached the end of their useful lifespans.

And there are a variety of solar technologies, and not just the two central tower-related thermal solar plants that are in, say, the US. (Indeed, there is also PV-based solar, as well as parabolic trough-related thermal solar.) And, of course, there are certainly ways to minimize their impacts on the environment, such as the changes that have been made to the central tower-related thermal solar plants in the US.

:rolleyes:
Solar panels on your roof requires that you prepay you electric for 8 to 10 years making it unattainable for the masses. Giant solar farms are a ecological nightmare far beyond just recycling (though whether or not they actually get recycled remains to be seen since most of our "recycled" garbage still ends up either burned or buried. Nuclear is the best path forward. You should visit the works of Michael Shellenberger and other ecomodernists who acknowledge that making energy more expensive is an inevitable failure.