uber update

Mar 2019
Texas
I have never used uber and such but in light of recent events that led to the death of a collage student why not update the system.

It seems that it would be easy with todays tech to give alerts on the riders phone when their ride has arrived withing a set amount of feet to the riders current location. A sort of electronic verification.

I understand that you can already track your ride but perhaps an alert that requires confirmation when the ride is present.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
When you open the app, you see a map of your local area, with a blue dot (your), and little white cars (Ubers ready to serve), you put in your destination, the app tells you what time you'll get there, and you press the confirm button, and one of those little cars remains and you can watch it progress to your location (there is also a countdown timer telling you how many minutes you'll wait until your ride gets there.)
The app tells you the color, year, make and model and license plate of the car approaching you, with the name and a picture of the driver.
it costs about the same as a cab.

Mar 2019
Texas
When you open the app, you see a map of your local area, with a blue dot (your), and little white cars (Ubers ready to serve), you put in your destination, the app tells you what time you'll get there, and you press the confirm button, and one of those little cars remains and you can watch it progress to your location (there is also a countdown timer telling you how many minutes you'll wait until your ride gets there.)
The app tells you the color, year, make and model and license plate of the car approaching you, with the name and a picture of the driver.
it costs about the same as a cab.
Hey thanks for the info.

I think it should be easier and more effective to also give a special chime or some type of secure notification when the user is right next to their ride before they can get in.

I think that would be more effective than what is being purposed by some cities wanting ubers to have taxi signs.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I was under the impression that it is cheaper than a taxi, one of the main reasons that taxis fight so hard against Uber and Lyft.

Plus the access tends to be faster.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
The safeguards being discussed ARE in place - you DO know when your ride is arriving and they DO say your name when you get in the car. The problem is most of us are too trusting and don't bother going through the very very basic and simple format. People just jump in the car that stops and take off.

I joined Uber and only used it twice. Both times the car and driver I got were the worst. The cars were rattletrap step-removed-from-deathtraps and filthy dirty. And the drivers wouldn't shut up the entire time we were in the car - it's like they decided to become drivers to find friends. I hated it.

It was cheaper - but you get what you pay for.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I was under the impression that it is cheaper than a taxi, one of the main reasons that taxis fight so hard against Uber and Lyft.

I was just in Key West, taxi from the airport to where we stayed was $18 ($9 each), Uber from where we stayed to the airport was $18.46. In both cases tip was added.
If I was alone the taxi was a lot cheaper.
Now from Boston to the North Shore, we probably saved $10 with the Uber over a taxi.

Getting a cab at the airport is easy, getting an Uber where there isn't a cab stand is easier.

Apr 2014
Heart of America

it is cheaper than a taxi. As for the poor college girl, she made a fatal mistake by not checking the app and comparing it to her ride. It isn`t unusual that a male stops his car to ask a girl if she needs a ride.

Sep 2017
Hell

I have never used Uber, but do know a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers and clients. Prices have fallen, and many of earlier generation of drivers have moved on because they no longer make the money that they used to. There are what they call surge times. when demand is high and not enough drivers - those charges for the most part has been reduced tremendously due to a huge increase in the number of Uber/Lyft drivers. There was a reason why cities only allowed a certain number of taxi medallions and limo permits to exist at the same time in the first place.

Cab companies' mistake was they still relied on the dispatcher system well after it was no longer competitive. Who the hell want to call a taxi dispatcher and wait for an unspecified amount of time and never knowing when the taxi would show up? The last time, I called a cab was when my car would not start and I had to get to work. After three hours and multiple phone calls, I was still assured that a cab was on the way from Yellow Cab. I called AAA and they got there before the cab. I never got a call when the cab was five minutes to arrival as promised. I called the next day to complain, and the only answer was all our drivers were busy.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I have never used Uber, but do know a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers and clients. Prices have fallen, and many of earlier generation of drivers have moved on because they no longer make the money that they used to. There are what they call surge times. when demand is high and not enough drivers - those charges for the most part has been reduced tremendously due to a huge increase in the number of Uber/Lyft drivers. There was a reason why cities only allowed a certain number of taxi medallions and limo permits to exist at the same time in the first place.

Cab companies' mistake was they still relied on the dispatcher system well after it was no longer competitive. Who the hell want to call a taxi dispatcher and wait for an unspecified amount of time and never knowing when the taxi would show up? The last time, I called a cab was when my car would not start and I had to get to work. After three hours and multiple phone calls, I was still assured that a cab was on the way from Yellow Cab. I called AAA and they got there before the cab. I never got a call when the cab was five minutes to arrival as promised. I called the next day to complain, and the only answer was all our drivers were busy.
Plus cab drivers are notoriously unscrupulous. W/ uber/lift you know what you are going to pay and they have a hard time hustling you.

Sep 2017
Hell
Plus cab drivers are notoriously unscrupulous. W/ uber/lift you know what you are going to pay and they have a hard time hustling you.
The cab ride meter moves for two things, a rolling wheel and a ticking clock. Going the long way around is a myth and has been ever since mapping and GPS apps.

Uber and Lyft surge is based on projection, while a cab meter is real, and regulated as weights and measures.