United Methodist Church Moves Towards Embracing Marriage Equality

Oct 2010
With God....of course!
*** Not that I much care what side religious opinion falls, I do find it interesting that even the ice is melting on this front, abeit slowly at times:

May 31, 2011 3:07 pm ET by Equality Matters staff

Evidence is mounting that religious groups truly can play a major role in advancing tolerance, respect, and equality for the LGBT community.

In an unexpected move this past Saturday, the Baltimore-Washington Conference of the United Methodist Church voted to approve a resolution amending the church’s Book of Discipline to allow pastors to perform same-sex marriages in member churches located in jurisdictions where legislatures have already approved marriage equality (including DC).

The vote came as a surprise to DC’s Foundry United Methodist, which drafted the resolution but did not expect it to be approved. Next April, the resolution will move to the United Methodist Church’s General Conference in Tampa, where a majority of the 1,000 delegates in attendance will need to approve it before it goes into effect.

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
tristanrobin' timestamp='1306937108' post='337113 said:
good for them! Always good to see churches acting in the manner that Jesus might have done.

*** Really!!

Really?

Where did Jesus condone homosexual marriage?

Jesus made it very clear in Matt 19 that marriage is for one man and one woman. He also made it clear that homosexuality is a sin.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
good for them! Always good to see churches acting in the manner that Jesus might have done.

From my Libertarian point of view...since it should not matter if churches oppose same sex marriage then it also makes no matter if they support same sex marriage.

The only thing that should be considered when judging this issue is the US Constitution. Since the Constitution requires equal treatment under the law for ALL citizens, then same sex marriage should be legal. Whether a church is for it or against it is of no consequence.

Oct 2010
From my Libertarian point of view...since it should not matter if churches oppose same sex marriage then it also makes no matter if they support same sex marriage.
Legally it matters not one whit. Socially it matters a great deal in terms of building public support for equality. Such public statements from a church both reflect and drive public sentiment.

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
tristanrobin' timestamp='1306937108' post='337113 said:

The only thing that should be considered when judging this issue is the US Constitution. Since the Constitution requires equal treatment under the law for ALL citizens, then same sex marriage should be legal. Whether a church is for it or against it is of no consequence.

Homosexuals already have equal rights to marry under the law.

So do aspiring polygamists and close relatives

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
Nwolfe35' timestamp='1306968617' post='337208 said:
Legally it matters not one whit. Socially it matters a great deal in terms of building public support for equality. Such public statements from a church both reflect and drive public sentiment.

This isn't true either.

Churches which have lost their way and permitted homosexual marriages typically break up. Another victory for you and Satan but not a ringing endorsement of homosexual marriage.

The fact remains that 31 states have amended their Constitutions to protect against homosexual marriage. Minnesota should be number 32 in 2012

Oct 2010
With God....of course!
Nwolfe35' timestamp='1306968617' post='337208 said:

*** True enough, however I wonder how much public support is actually gained or lost by their bombastics. Some people have a tendancy to lump negative scenarios together, i.e., "God Hates Fags" signs, priest pedo's, etc. I wouldn't surprise me one bit if they too are losing their army as well as not recruiting anyone into their bigoted brigades.

Oct 2010
*** True enough, however I wonder how much public support is actually gained or lost by their bombastics. Some people have a tendancy to lump negative scenarios together, i.e., "God Hates Fags" signs, priest pedo's, etc. I wouldn't surprise me one bit if they too are losing their army as well as not recruiting anyone into their bigoted brigades.
I think the calculus is pretty simple - once your religion stops telling you that your favorite imaginary friend hates fags, you'll be far less likely to be a homophobe. In time the bigots will be ostracized, just as the KKK is today.