United States Spends 10 Times More On Fossil Fuel Subsidies Than Education

Nov 2012
nirvana
A new International Monetary Fund (IMF) study shows that USD$5.2 trillion was spent globally on fossil fuel subsidies in 2017. The equivalent of over 6.5% of global GDP of that year, it also represented a half-trillion dollar increase since 2015 when China ($1.4 trillion), the United States ($649 billion) and Russia ($551 billion) were the largest subsidizers.

United States Spend Ten Times More On Fossil Fuel Subsidies Than Education

$649 billion to oil companies. $750 billion in Pentagon bloat.

$1.399 Trillion to exxon mobil and the military.

$2 Trillion in tax cuts for the filthy rich and corporations.

But we need to cut spending on Social Security and Medicare?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I am still to see where and how these subsidies to UD oil companies are paid. The only thing close to an answer I ever got was that corporate taxes were low. Well, they are low for all corporations so why pick on only oil companies if that's all it is. In that case all corporations are subsidized.

And don't get me started on farmers.

Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
I am still to see where and how these subsidies to UD oil companies are paid. The only thing close to an answer I ever got was that corporate taxes were low. Well, they are low for all corporations so why pick on only oil companies if that's all it is. In that case all corporations are subsidized.

And don't get me started on farmers.
all farmers do is bitch about the weather and how the federal government isn't giving them enough in free subsidies.

Dec 2015
Arizona
This from the article:
Buckle’s analysis of the inefficiency of fossil fuel subsidies is illustrated best by the United States’ own expenditure: the $649 billion the US spent on these subsidies in 2015 is more than the country’s defense budget and 10 times the federal spending for education.
10 times the federal spending on education. 10 times. Do we need to let that sink in?? Or have we GOT IT.
Remember when America's priorities were straight? Remember when America led the world in EVERY area? Remember when parents and communities rotated around public schools? Remember the pride of this nation?

This is called priorities, folks. You simply cannot have a great nation without a great education system. When did we the people stop respecting education and teachers? There is a war on public schools. We’ve let our grades slip, our schools crumble, our teacher quality fall short, and other nations outpace us.
You want a strong military? Educate our children. You want a balanced budget? Educate our children. You want great leaders? Educate our children. You want cures for cancer? Educate our children. You want less crime? Educate our children. You want to stop racism, bigotry and misogyny? Educate our children.

Connect the dots, people.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
This from the article:
Buckle’s analysis of the inefficiency of fossil fuel subsidies is illustrated best by the United States’ own expenditure: the $649 billion the US spent on these subsidies in 2015 is more than the country’s defense budget and 10 times the federal spending for education.
10 times the federal spending on education. 10 times. Do we need to let that sink in?? Or have we GOT IT.
Remember when America's priorities were straight? Remember when America led the world in EVERY area? Remember when parents and communities rotated around public schools? Remember the pride of this nation?

This is called priorities, folks. You simply cannot have a great nation without a great education system. When did we the people stop respecting education and teachers? There is a war on public schools. We’ve let our grades slip, our schools crumble, our teacher quality fall short, and other nations outpace us.
You want a strong military? Educate our children. You want a balanced budget? Educate our children. You want great leaders? Educate our children. You want cures for cancer? Educate our children. You want less crime? Educate our children. You want to stop racism, bigotry and misogyny? Educate our children.

Connect the dots, people.
What we've - that's we the people - have become is a materialism-oriented culture. We live in material abundance - well, except for the lowly who wash our dishes, pick our crops, and keep our hotels clean - unheard of in the history of the world. Historically speaking, the abundance we take for granted was once the realm of royalty, but it's not enough.

Remember when the credo was that the next generation should have more, should always have more than the current one? That despite our living like the kings and queens of old, not always having more was a capital sin? And now it's MAGA with record defense budgets because running an empire ain't cheap. Social programs wait on the chopping block for the next cut. Education? Why the hell waste money on public education?

And energy, fifteen years ago the US consumed 25 percent of the world's output of petroleum products. That's 5 percent of the world's population consuming a quarter of the world's petroleum. The US now has slightly less than 5 percent of the world's population, and we're down to consuming about 17-18 percent of the world's output of petroleum, but improvements in energy efficiency and reliance upon renewables have been seen as liberal agendas and fought tooth and nail at every opportunity by the right side.

Yes, fought by the right side whose leaders and rank and file demonstrate a religious disconnection from science and a preference for alternative facts.

I wish I could compliment the left side here, but I can't. The left seems fixated on alternative sexuality and the rights of non-citizens.

Jun 2013
Katmandu
A new International Monetary Fund (IMF) study shows that USD$5.2 trillion was spent globally on fossil fuel subsidies in 2017. The equivalent of over 6.5% of global GDP of that year, it also represented a half-trillion dollar increase since 2015 when China ($1.4 trillion), the United States ($649 billion) and Russia ($551 billion) were the largest subsidizers.

United States Spend Ten Times More On Fossil Fuel Subsidies Than Education

$649 billion to oil companies. $750 billion in Pentagon bloat.

$1.399 Trillion to exxon mobil and the military.

$2 Trillion in tax cuts for the filthy rich and corporations.

But we need to cut spending on Social Security and Medicare?
Lies and more lies.