US jets strike Syrian town with banned white phosphorus bombs – Russian Defense Ministry

Dec 2016
Canada
Blacklisted News....a somewhat antiwar libertarian site (that doesn't appear to have a billionaire sugardaddy) posted this from WaPo (for those of us who refuse to pay Bezos Press any of our hard-earned money to pass the paywall) + they include a recent archive of useful links on the subject of US military bombing with phosphorus and selling the same munitions to allies (Saudi Arabia) to bomb civilian targets with:
SOURCE: WASHINGTON POST

The U.S.-led coalition in Iraq and Syria appears to have used white phosphorus-loaded munitions on at least two occasions in densely populated areas of Mosul and in the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa, according to videos posted online and human rights groups.
The often-controversial munitions are common in western militaries and are used primarily to create smoke screens, though they can also be dropped as an incendiary weapon. When a white phosphorus shell explodes, the chemical inside reacts with the air, creating a thick white cloud. When it comes in contact with flesh, it can maim and kill by burning to the bone.
While international humanitarian law stipulates that civilians must be protected from all military operations, it also says that countries must take even more care when using white phosphorus. Additionally, because of the weapon’s ability to cause grievous and inhumane injuries, rights groups caution against using white phosphorus to kill enemy troops if other weapons are available.

Read more:
U.S.-led forces appear to be using white phosphorus in populated areas in Iraq and Syria (behind WaPo paywall)

RELATED ARTICLES:
Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - US-led coalition acknowledges use of white phosphorus in Mosul amid mounting criticism
A New Zealand general has confirmed that the US-led coalition fighting in Mosul has used munitions loaded with white phosphorus. It comes amid mounting criticism over the use of the multipurpose weapon, which can be extremely dangerous to civilians.

Monday, June 12, 2017 - Syrian troops move closer to Raqqa as the US drops chemical weapons on the city
Recent video has emerged of the US dropping what appears to be toxic white phosphorus munitions on the city.

Monday, June 12, 2017 - The U.S. Uses Illegal Chemical Weapons … Again
Both the New York Times and Washington Post confirm that the U.S. used white phosphorous in densely populated Iraq and Syria.

Friday, June 9, 2017 - US-Backed Forces Enter Raqqa as Coalition Drops White Phosphorus Bombs
In what some speculate may be the beginning of the end for Daesh (ISIS), the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) entered Raqqa – Daesh’s Syrian stronghold – for the first time on Tuesday. SDF commander Rojda Felat told the AFP news agency that the group is “fighting street battles inside Raqqa now, and we have experience in urban warfare.” The advance came after heavy airstrikes by the U.S.-led coalition, which killed more than 20 civilians trying to flee the offensive by boat.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - US Admits To Supplying Saudi Arabia With White Phosphorus Munitions
Amid new evidence that Saudi Arabia has begun to use white phosphorus munitions in their war in Yemen, US officials are admitting that the weapons were provided by the United States “in the past.” They declined to say when, or how many weapons were provided. White phosphorus munitions are heavily restricted in their usage under international law, allowed to be used only for smokescreens and signaling, but their incendiary properties and the risk of inhaling the smoke has made their use as an offensive weapon effectively a war crime.
So, who are the war criminals again?

Dec 2016
Canada
And both US and international sources confirm the US Government has used white phosphorus bombing as an offensive weapon, as well as selling the same munitions to Israel and Saudi Arabia, even though they have also used them against civilian populated areas. And if you're selling these kinds of weapons to third parties, you're responsible for how they are used.

And read something about what happens to people who are burned with white phosphorus (it keeps on burning through the skin layers and turns bones to ash). And in light of US and allied war crimes, what right does the US and its allies have to set what they declare as an international standard that poison gas..including chlorine gas are the weapons that must not be used...and will invite massive bombing response on the side they accuse of using them...without bothering to try to prove it?

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
And both US and international sources confirm the US Government has used white phosphorus bombing as an offensive weapon, as well as selling the same munitions to Israel and Saudi Arabia, even though they have also used them against civilian populated areas. And if you're selling these kinds of weapons to third parties, you're responsible for how they are used.

And read something about what happens to people who are burned with white phosphorus (it keeps on burning through the skin layers and turns bones to ash). And in light of US and allied war crimes, what right does the US and its allies have to set what they declare as an international standard that poison gas..including chlorine gas are the weapons that must not be used...and will invite massive bombing response on the side they accuse of using them...without bothering to try to prove it?

Now i don't agree w/ your sentiment of if i sell it to you i am some how responsible for how you use it but this...

"And in light of US and allied war crimes, what right does the US and its allies have to set what they declare as an international standard that poison gas..including chlorine gas are the weapons that must not be used...and will invite massive bombing response on the side they accuse of using them...without bothering to try to prove it?"

For sure!!!!

Dec 2016
Canada
Now i don't agree w/ your sentiment of if i sell it to you i am some how responsible for how you use it but this...

"And in light of US and allied war crimes, what right does the US and its allies have to set what they declare as an international standard that poison gas..including chlorine gas are the weapons that must not be used...and will invite massive bombing response on the side they accuse of using them...without bothering to try to prove it?"

For sure!!!!
I believe you're familiar with 'America's most decorated soldier- Gen. Smedley Butler...and especially his memoir written at the end of his long military career in about 1933- "War Is A Racket." I just wish more people were familiar with it, because Smedley's contention that big powers (like the United States was aiming for at the start of his military career prior to the start of the 20th century) send men into battle and face being slaughtered mostly for their own bragging rights AND what Smed started noticing long before we had a recognized cross-pollination between military forces and weapons makers (military-industrial complex), was that some of the most bloody wars he fought through (the US invasion of the Philippines and several smaller Latin American conquests) profited business and political leadership back in Washington.
Is anything different today? A couple of days ago, I noticed a link (likely on the Naked Capitalism links page) to this unassuming piece:
State official predicts US weapon sales increase in 2019
Okay, that's bad enough! Here's the text of the Defense News article(edited for length):
WASHINGTON— The U.S. has sold more weapons to other nations in the first half of fiscal year 2018 than it did in all of fiscal year 2017. Is that sustainable?​
It is if you ask a top State Department official, .​
“I would anticipate—I am an optimist and a realist—that next year’s numbers will be higher than this year’s numbers," Andrea Thompson, Undersecretary of State- Arms Control and International Security, said during a Sept. 7 meeting with reporters.​
That would appear to be a tall order. According to numbers from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the U.S. has signed $46.9 billion in weapons sales to foreign partners and allies, smashing past the $41.9 billion figure from all of fiscal 2017.​
But Thompson points to new policies put forth earlier this year from the Trump administration, designed to encourage American arms exports and bolster domestic industry, as a factor that will have a direct impact next fiscal year.​
“The CAT [conventional arms transfer] policy will have been in place, we’ll have gained those efficiencies and feedback from industry and partners,” she told the Defense Writer’s Group, adding that the policy is designed to go through continual updates to keep it relevant. “So I would anticipate that would increase sales, one would think.”
Other policies targeted at encouraging partners to buy American goods, including dropping surcharges on products and lowering the cost of transportation for weapons, are also under way, with DSCA head Lt. Gen. Charles Hooper leading the charge.​
One potential boost could come from India, a lucrative market that U.S. firms have long eyed.​
And that embedded link from an earlier guns&ammo story is worth unpacking also:
U.S. Has Already Sold More Weapons This Year Than All 2017: $47B
Trump's America First policies are paying off for U.S. weapons manufacturers.
FARNBOROUGH The United States has already blown past the amount of weaponry it sold to foreign governments all last year — with more than two months to go before the fiscal year ends.

American defense companies, with the blessing of the Pentagon and State Department, have already sold $46.9 billion worth of weapons to foreign governments this year, leaving the $41 billion worth of deals in 2017 in the dust.​
Lt. Gen. Charles Hooper, director of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which coordinates foreign sales, revealed the new numbers to me on Monday. “The president and the administration’s plans have given us that leadership, guidance and focus, and we understand that this comes directly from the top, directly from the White House,” he said.​
and just to let you know why there is no Resistance anymore to fomenting wars and military spending in the media and why it's a bipartisan effort:
The record for any single year is the $69.1 billion reached in 2012, but that was an outlier since it saw a staggering $29 billion deal for 84 F-15s to Saudi Arabia — a single signature line item that sent the total rocketing up from $40 billion.​
The previous high — without that massive Saudi buy — was $47 billion in 2015, a number the Pentagon is now within inches of topping.​
“We have many wealthy countries with us today, but we have some that aren’t so wealthy and they did ask me if they could buy the military equipment and could I help them out. And we will help them out a little bit,” he said during an impromptu news conference.​
“We are not going to finance it for them, but we will make sure that they are able to get payments and various other things so they can buy — because the United States makes by far the best military equipment in the world: the best jets, the best missiles, the best guns, the best everything.”​
Hooper said the desire to make deals happen has pushed down to all levels of the process.​
“Listen, I’ve been in security cooperation for 15 years,” he said. “I’ve never seen a time where there was a better collaboration with the State Department, the Commerce Department, and Capitol Hill, the National Security Council and the White House. There’s never been a better time.”​

they're saying this out loud for christ's sakes!

And, since Defense News and this Breaking Defense site are sponsored by the multibillion dollar weapons manufacturers, you won't find any troubling questions ever asked like: what about Trump's domestic priorities....whatever happened to that jobs plan, and factoring in yet another round of tax cuts for the rich, how will the US Federal Government ever expect to balance a budget in the future? This is why most foreign countries are already trying to unload large shares of their USD holdings and trade in Euro's or their own currencies. And, worst of all, does anyone with access to mainstream media anymore ever ask if there might be a connection between the increasing number of wars, civil wars, failed states, mass refugee migrations AND increasing arms sales to both the US Government and any foreign government that is not on the no trade list?

What this means is that the United States is now the primary offender for causing unneeded death and destruction around the world....don't give me any of the post-Vietnam we meant well bullshit! This is waging war and arming nations (including almost certainly arming irregular armies or terrorist groups) will likely be the end of this world before the changing climate can kill us off...if that's any consolation!

Also worth noting that...and you likely have already noticed stories surface every so often about Russian and Chinese arms sales...mostly seeking buyers for new, state of the art missile systems that can provide more bang for the buck by shooting down expensive warplanes and sinking even more expensive ships. When a serious shooting war breaks out and the latest round of missiles the Russians and Chinese are working on are tested in battle, the consequences of depraved business of War For Profit will be both unpredictable and unimaginable!

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I believe you're familiar with 'America's most decorated soldier- Gen. Smedley Butler...and especially his memoir written at the end of his long military career in about 1933- "War Is A Racket." I just wish more people were familiar with it, because Smedley's contention that big powers (like the United States was aiming for at the start of his military career prior to the start of the 20th century) send men into battle and face being slaughtered mostly for their own bragging rights AND what Smed started noticing long before we had a recognized cross-pollination between military forces and weapons makers (military-industrial complex), was that some of the most bloody wars he fought through (the US invasion of the Philippines and several smaller Latin American conquests) profited business and political leadership back in Washington.
Is anything different today? A couple of days ago, I noticed a link (likely on the Naked Capitalism links page) to this unassuming piece:
Okay, that's bad enough! Here's the text of the Defense News article(edited for length):
WASHINGTON— The U.S. has sold more weapons to other nations in the first half of fiscal year 2018 than it did in all of fiscal year 2017. Is that sustainable?​
“I would anticipate—I am an optimist and a realist—that next year’s numbers will be higher than this year’s numbers," Andrea Thompson, Undersecretary of State- Arms Control and International Security, said during a Sept. 7 meeting with reporters.​
That would appear to be a tall order. According to numbers from the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the U.S. has signed $46.9 billion in weapons sales to foreign partners and allies, smashing past the $41.9 billion figure from all of fiscal 2017.​
But Thompson points to new policies put forth earlier this year from the Trump administration, designed to encourage American arms exports and bolster domestic industry, as a factor that will have a direct impact next fiscal year.​
“The CAT [conventional arms transfer] policy will have been in place, we’ll have gained those efficiencies and feedback from industry and partners,” she told the Defense Writer’s Group, adding that the policy is designed to go through continual updates to keep it relevant. “So I would anticipate that would increase sales, one would think.”
Other policies targeted at encouraging partners to buy American goods, including dropping surcharges on products and lowering the cost of transportation for weapons, are also under way, with DSCA head Lt. Gen. Charles Hooper leading the charge.​
One potential boost could come from India, a lucrative market that U.S. firms have long eyed.​
FARNBOROUGH The United States has already blown past the amount of weaponry it sold to foreign governments all last year — with more than two months to go before the fiscal year ends.

American defense companies, with the blessing of the Pentagon and State Department, have already sold $46.9 billion worth of weapons to foreign governments this year, leaving the $41 billion worth of deals in 2017 in the dust.​
Lt. Gen. Charles Hooper, director of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which coordinates foreign sales, revealed the new numbers to me on Monday. “The president and the administration’s plans have given us that leadership, guidance and focus, and we understand that this comes directly from the top, directly from the White House,” he said.​
and just to let you know why there is no Resistance anymore to fomenting wars and military spending in the media and why it's a bipartisan effort:
The record for any single year is the $69.1 billion reached in 2012, but that was an outlier since it saw a staggering $29 billion deal for 84 F-15s to Saudi Arabia — a single signature line item that sent the total rocketing up from $40 billion.​
The previous high — without that massive Saudi buy — was $47 billion in 2015, a number the Pentagon is now within inches of topping.​
“We have many wealthy countries with us today, but we have some that aren’t so wealthy and they did ask me if they could buy the military equipment and could I help them out. And we will help them out a little bit,” he said during an impromptu news conference.​
“We are not going to finance it for them, but we will make sure that they are able to get payments and various other things so they can buy — because the United States makes by far the best military equipment in the world: the best jets, the best missiles, the best guns, the best everything.”​
Hooper said the desire to make deals happen has pushed down to all levels of the process.​
“Listen, I’ve been in security cooperation for 15 years,” he said. “I’ve never seen a time where there was a better collaboration with the State Department, the Commerce Department, and Capitol Hill, the National Security Council and the White House. There’s never been a better time.”​

And, since Defense News and this Breaking Defense site are sponsored by the multibillion dollar weapons manufacturers, you won't find any troubling questions ever asked like: what about Trump's domestic priorities....whatever happened to that jobs plan, and factoring in yet another round of tax cuts for the rich, how will the US Federal Government ever expect to balance a budget in the future? This is why most foreign countries are already trying to unload large shares of their USD holdings and trade in Euro's or their own currencies. And, worst of all, does anyone with access to mainstream media anymore ever ask if there might be a connection between the increasing number of wars, civil wars, failed states, mass refugee migrations AND increasing arms sales to both the US Government and any foreign government that is not on the no trade list?

What this means is that the United States is now the primary offender for causing unneeded death and destruction around the world....don't give me any of the post-Vietnam we meant well bullshit! This is waging war and arming nations (including almost certainly arming irregular armies or terrorist groups) will likely be the end of this world before the changing climate can kill us off...if that's any consolation!

Also worth noting that...and you likely have already noticed stories surface every so often about Russian and Chinese arms sales...mostly seeking buyers for new, state of the art missile systems that can provide more bang for the buck by shooting down expensive warplanes and sinking even more expensive ships. When a serious shooting war breaks out and the latest round of missiles the Russians and Chinese are working on are tested in battle, the consequences of depraved business of War For Profit will be both unpredictable and unimaginable!
Thanks for you post, I've read his book a number of times over the years. He died before WWII, one can only imagine what he would think of the current situation. He was also the one that disclosed a RW plot to overthrow FDR, violently and illegally.

BTW, Smedley Darlington Butler was a retired U.S. Marine LtGen.

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK

Though we have studied much of the same things we just seem to dissagree on what "capitalism" is and it being the destructive force you see it as.

Besides that, it is very unfortunate that more people do not know or even more terrifying care about the above.

The munitions scam can be brought to every day context in the fuzzbuster race. The same companies that sell the police their radars sell us our fuzzbusters making both obsolete every year or so.