US National Debt?

Jan 2005
MA
How in the world are we going to pay off the debt is Bush keeps giving tax relief to the rich? It is impossible for the middle class or the poor to pay it off! Thats right, raise taxes on the poor/middle class.

Bush Turned a $5.6 Surplus Into $5.2 Trillion Deficit. Why the hell did America vote for him 2004?

well said...how can someone expect the poor and middle class to pay for things when the rich has all the money and i know someone on this page will say because the fucking rich earned their money or some horse shit like that...Bush should give the middle/poor class a goddamn chance to get out of the gutter, and now i know someone is gonna say "well the poor just spend their money on drugs" which isnt necessarily true but hell id love to see some of you fuckers walk through harlem and see the heartbreak and how fucking bad it is there or shit even an Indian Reservation they dont get shit from the governement that killed them

the debt is like it is because people keep spending (including the government) because they have faith that well get out of it..we did in the great depression so why not now right? wrong if people keep spending and spending for more needless materialistic items or lost causes we'll never get out of debt...our dollar is pegged to the chinese yuan and thats not too great haha i hope somebody in congress comes up with a good plan or people stop spending so much and bringing themselves further in debt...a couple TRILLION dollar debt is ridiculous...getting out of Iraq as quick as possible would save us a shit load of money thats for sure...

what is everything about today? what is it that everybody wants? what is it thats causes war and coruption? what si everyone consumed with? wait, wait i think i know....is it money? Thats it! MONEY!

Jan 2005
Massachusetts
$5.6 Surplus Into $5.2 Trillion Deficit

War+Economy

The war on terror is very important and is one of the main factors for our large deficit. But after 9/11, we have not had 1 terrorist attack on our homeland. We are safer when we fight terrorism over there, and not over here.

Cost of war:

WHAT DOES WAR COST?

Imagine the costs of war as a series of boxes nested inside each other (Box 1).

Box 1: Nested costs of war.

Iraq (liberation, occupation, reconstruction)

+ Afghanistan

CIA and other counterterrorism

Homeland security

Future wars?

= The War on Terror

+ “Peacetime” military forces, salaries, facilities

Training, equipment, supplies

Veterans' benefits

Interest on past war debts

= U.S. Government War-Related Spending

+ Destruction of capital in war zones (e.g., New York)

Additional costs to business and local government in wartime

Effects of rising national debt

Compounding of budget shortfalls

War-induced inflation

= The Real Price of War

from Joshua S. Goldstein "The Real Price of War"

Now we have the economy. Soon after 9/11, airlines have been going out of business, people were taking money out of there banks,mutual funds,etc...,no one was buying cars/houses,etc. This is everything that hurts the economy. When the economy is weak, the goverment has less money to spend(increases deficit).

If 9/11 never happened, and we never went to war with Iraq/afgahnistan, then we surely would have a surplus. But the safety of American's is important and we need to take care of this before another tragedy happens at home.

I hope you don't have the support our troops sign on your car if you don't support what they are there for.

http://www.wnyc.org/books/35998 If your confused read the web page link provided for a book written by Joshua S. Goldstein.

The real cost of war? are you sure it isnt death? i migth be mistaken but i am pretty sure its death. the economy is, of course, very important but its only important when the coorporate profit takers arent getting there high doeses of money then its a huge problem. War is does nothing but piss off more people, make countries in deb, puts forgien lands in shambles, a poluttes us all. Why not trying to spend more money on education then bombs. we wouldnt have to worry about war is the public was educated enough to start making this country a real democracy. that way we can all work together ,make decisions together, not fight amoungst one another, and that way war wont even be an issue. So you can shove your Conservative right wing schemeing non-sense right back where it came from.

To me it seems the best way to get rid of the national debt is to cut down on some of the goddamn government programs. We're in Iraq no whether you like it or not. The money has been spent, now we must focus on clearing our debt. An evaluation of our government needs to be done and all of the non-essential programs should be cut. Personally I have no problem with the tax cuts, if you examine what happens to the money you will get a clearer perspective on how it stimulates the economy rather than hurts it in the long run. When President Bush entered office he was not only faced with the terrorist attacks on 9/11 but also the problem of dealing with a receding economy. The tax cuts came right before the holiday season and many Americans used this extra bonus on presents and other holiday items. With the extra sales boost many of the large corporations stocks rose leading to a rise in the stock market. President Bush felt that the best way to solve the problem of a receding economy was to give the money back to the people and allow the stock market to rebound.

Jan 2005
Massachusetts
Anti-Flag said:
The real cost of war? are you sure it isnt death? i migth be mistaken but i am pretty sure its death. the economy is, of course, very important but its only important when the coorporate profit takers arent getting there high doeses of money then its a huge problem. War is does nothing but piss off more people, make countries in deb, puts forgien lands in shambles, a poluttes us all. Why not trying to spend more money on education then bombs. we wouldnt have to worry about war is the public was educated enough to start making this country a real democracy. that way we can all work together ,make decisions together, not fight amoungst one another, and that way war wont even be an issue. So you can shove your Conservative right wing schemeing non-sense right back where it came from.

I proudly wore this shirt all day long.

http://www.protestwarrior.com

Feb 2005
Did you all know that 98% of American families would have recieved some amount of tax break under John Kerry's economic plan?

Also, the whole trickle down economics thing, you know, the whole plan that if you give the rich the tax breaks, they buy things and thus the money eventually "trickles down" so to speak, to the lower classes. It's bullshit, it didn't work for Reagan, it's not working for W. The money that people are getting from Bush's tax breaks, because most people value their money, ARE SAVING IT. THEY AREN'T BUYING HOUSES, CARS, COMPUTERS, AND IPODS!! They are putting in their savings account or their children's college fund. Get real, this shit doesn't work, history has already proved that.

The war is bullshit anyway, I don't mind spending money for homeland security, because obviously I value our safety. But you wouldn't pay for shitty goods, so why pay for a shitty war? Either way the economy still sucks.

Jan 2005
Massachusetts
aMFliberal said:
Did you all know that 98% of American families would have recieved some amount of tax break under John Kerry's economic plan?

Also, the whole trickle down economics thing, you know, the whole plan that if you give the rich the tax breaks, they buy things and thus the money eventually "trickles down" so to speak, to the lower classes. It's bullshit, it didn't work for Reagan, it's not working for W. The money that people are getting from Bush's tax breaks, because most people value their money, ARE SAVING IT. THEY AREN'T BUYING HOUSES, CARS, COMPUTERS, AND IPODS!! They are putting in their savings account or their children's college fund. Get real, this shit doesn't work, history has already proved that.

The war is bullshit anyway, I don't mind spending money for homeland security, because obviously I value our safety. But you wouldn't pay for shitty goods, so why pay for a shitty war? Either way the economy still sucks.

First off...I have never been hired by a poor man.

You said Kerry had a better plan..blablabla...Kerry voted against the Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 and voted for the highest tax increases ever during Clinton's times. Since Kerry has such a record, in his career he voted hundreds of times against tax cuts...How can you say more people will benefit from his plan??He voted hundreds of times for tax increases during his career. He is a liberal..liberals love taxes and more goverment control! He was just trying to swing voters but the American people know better and are sick of paying taxes.

[Fiction]

It's bullshit, it didn't work for Reagan, it's not working for W

[Fact]

Bush's tax cuts pulled us out of a recession and in return millions of jobs have been created last year.

Anything else you would like to add?