US to buy Israeli Iron Dome missile defence system

Apr 2013
Left coast
This surprised me. Is the Israeli system really superior to anything the US has, or is this an underhanded way to subsidize Israel's military?

The US military has announced plans to buy and test out Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system.

The system, which uses radar and interceptor missiles to combat incoming threats, has been in use since 2011.

The US Department of Defence has said the system will be used on a test basis, while it assesses options for the military's long-term needs.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has labelled the sale a "great achievement for the country".

"This is another manifestation of the deepening of our steadfast alliance with the United States, and an expression of Israel's rising status in the world," his statement went on.

Iron Dome works by tracking incoming short-range projectiles by radar, then analyses data about the likely impact zone - before assessing whether to provide co-ordinates to a missile firing unit to intercept.
More at US to buy Israeli missile defence system

Nov 2012
Chicago
I was under the impression that it was the U.S. that gave the Iron Dome missal system to Israel. I remember hearing that in the news reports during the war to depose Sadam.:think:

Jun 2018
South Dakota
I was under the impression that it was the U.S. that gave the Iron Dome missal system to Israel. I remember hearing that in the news reports during the war to depose Sadam.:think:
I think you're referring to the Patriot that shot down the SCUDs when Iraq was popping them off.
The Israelis have a habit of buying systems from the US and others then modifying them to achiever more effective and specialized results. They've done this consistently with aircraft. Raytheon produces the missiles that are used in the system now. Like the Patriot system they had a rough go at the beginning but the Patriot filled the gap. As I get it the Iron Dome is far less expensive and more effective than the Patriot. In most American weapons systems we get a multiple use gadget that's good at everything but not so outstanding at anything.

Dec 2016
Canada
This surprised me. Is the Israeli system really superior to anything the US has, or is this an underhanded way to subsidize Israel's military?

More at US to buy Israeli missile defence system
Your 2nd question answers it! So far, "Iron Dome" has only proven itself against the unguided bottle rockets fired off by Hamas on occasion that actually come close to landing in a city. It's never had to deal with the new generation of guided missiles because of informal agreements between Israel, US, Russia and Turkey regarding where their forces are located and allowed to strike without triggering all out war in Syria. If either Russian or American-made hypersonic missiles are ever fired at Israel, that "iron dome" will be exposed as little more than a newer, more expensive "Maginot Line."

Jun 2018
South Dakota
My take on it is that it's design is to intercept the smaller artillery type rockets that are fired into Israel weekly. They are free flight ballistic rockets, individually akin to the Katyusha. Calling them bottle rockets is laughable. They contain enough explosives to level buildings, if they can hit them. The idea of shooting them down is a morale booster. If we see the return of the SCUDs SRBMs and their variants they'll be shot down by Iron Dome too.
An issue that causes the increase in short range interception capability is the flight control software that was given to the Chinese by the Clinton admin. ostensibly to improve the accuracy of their satellite launch vehicles. The effect is that now the Iranians and NOKOs have it too, making the fact that they have accurate suborbital delivery vehicles a concern.