US to end military drills with South Korea

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
You are spending more than half of your annual federal budget now on military and related costs, and if you're not paying attention to the news of late, Trump and Kim are supposed to have another meeting to try to reach an agreement...maybe without Bolton or Pompeo around, it might mean that Trump can wind down at least one war...which is better than nothing to anyone who has considered the potential impacts of allowing nuclear proliferation to continue on and expand further!

If you did more than read the headlines in our news/propaganda, you'd be aware that the North Korean nuclear threat is the reason why they were not subject to Iraq-style regime change. But, their negotiating team in Hanoi this week were expecting to offer up nuclear weapons and weapons development facilities in return for an end to US sanctions and a formal end of the Korean War, along with some sort of guarantees that the next administration cannot just tear up the agreements like past presidents have done! That doesn't sound like too much to ask for from a nation that was threatened by Truman with nuclear annihilation in 1953, and with the threat of invasion every year the US and allies conduct those expensive, environmentally damaging war game practice invasion drills.
The US is spending more than half of its annual federal budget now on military and related costs?

Please back up that allegation.

Jul 2018
Earth
Warmbier was one man, who for reasons that were never clear wanted to go to North Korea, so he became part of some guided tour as very briefly noted in the Wikipedia entry, was accused of theft, arrested and sentenced to 15 years in a North Korean prison, where he fell ill and went into a coma and eventually into a vegetative state. After return of his body to the US, a coroner's inquest couldn't determine the cause of death, but ruled out blunt force trauma.

Now, like I said, this case represents one death in a foreign prison, and a country like the US, which hauls away hundreds of dead bodies every year from its prisons, as a result of prison fights, aggravated sexual assaults and suspected beatings by guards that are never fully investigated, isn't exactly standing on higher ground when its pointing fingers at adversaries!

So, Otto Warmbier or not/ tell me why you and liberal Democrats are against ending the Korean War, including the sanctions and the war games, and allowing Koreans to have their independence back and return as a united nation again as it was before the Korean War?

And then you can try to deal with the fact that "liberals" are at the forefront of instigating the post-Cold War nuclear arms race that includes weaponizing space and being stupid enough to think Russia and China will just sit back and allow the US to place floating nuclear warhead platforms and particle beam weapons above their heads without engaging in deploying weapons in space also! Back in the 80's, Reagan was roundly condemned for his "Star Wars" plans. Now that many of these weapons are close to operational, it's a bipartisan project in the US supported by Democrats and Republicans!

And, if you don't have time to deal with your inconsistencies, stop wasting my time pretending you have any real points to make!
Only stupid people and spies go to countries like North Korea.

Jul 2018
Earth
is this really the message we want to send right now?
While it would be great if everyone got along like best buddies sometimes you have to go Old Testament and remind them that we are the meanest bastards on the planet and will make Zephaniah 1:2-3 a reality if they want to rumble =

Zephaniah 1:2-3 (CEB) =
"2 I will wipe out everything from the earth, says the Lord.
3 I will destroy humanity and the beasts;
I will destroy the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea.
I will make the wicked into a heap of ruins;
I will eliminate humanity from the earth, says the Lord."

It's stupid for everyone around the world to keep spending money on the military is they are never going to use it. Constant conflict doesn't solve anything. All it does is cause death, misery, and destruction for no good purpose. If you aren't going to get rid of all of your real and potential enemies you might as well stay home and not fight a half-assed war that continues for decades.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
While it would be great if everyone got along like best buddies sometimes you have to go Old Testament and remind them that we are the meanest bastards on the planet and will make Zephaniah 1:2-3 a reality if they want to rumble =

Zephaniah 1:2-3 (CEB) =
"2 I will wipe out everything from the earth, says the Lord.
3 I will destroy humanity and the beasts;
I will destroy the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea.
I will make the wicked into a heap of ruins;
I will eliminate humanity from the earth, says the Lord."

It's stupid for everyone around the world to keep spending money on the military is they are never going to use it. Constant conflict doesn't solve anything. All it does is cause death, misery, and destruction for no good purpose. If you aren't going to get rid of all of your real and potential enemies you might as well stay home and not fight a half-assed war that continues for decades.
and you have evidence any thing in the bible is true.. no no you dont

Dec 2016
Canada
The US is spending more than half of its annual federal budget now on military and related costs?

Please back up that allegation.
It's your taxes at work! Have you looked it up?
According to the National Priorities Project, as of the fiscal year 2015, "Defense" spending( 598.5 billion ) already accounted for 54% of DISCRETIONARY spending in the annual federal budget. Now if you want to pull more money out of earmarks and "guaranteed" programs like Medicare or Social Security, have at it! But be honest for once about where your real priorities lie, and tell everyone about what you're willing to cut to make up the difference!

And as military spending watchdog - William Hartung notes in a more recent (2017) analysis of the costs of empire - total costs...that can be accounted for within the shell game of military spending has some especially egregious outliers like: 20 billion in annual costs of America's nuclear warheads program is hidden in the Dept. of Energy. And if that's not scary enough, it's not accounting for the future costs of promised "upgrades" to building new nuclear warheads and missile delivery systems over a 10 year period that Obama arbitrarily set in the high 900 billions (to avoid the T-word) and Trump...no surprise has added on the pork to where it has more recently been pegged at 1.6 Trillion...if it all gets done! If things can't get worse, remember that Trump appointed Rick Perry to run the Dept. of Energy!

So, there's a lot, lots of pork to be payed for in today's costs, yesterday's legacy costs from Veterans and other departments, and future promises to build even more advanced and more expensive shit to destroy the planet with! And, I don't hear Dems or McResistance liberals complaining about it either. If anything, what counts for officially allowed opposition in American political circles is even more dangerous than Donald Trump! Because the only time they refrain from condemning or criticizing Trump is when he is bombing some targeted adversary or piling up more money to spend on the military! Worth noting that any student of history, no matter how recent, can look at this pattern and see an empire that has built its way up to the point of collapse and is about to fall under its own weight!

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
How about because it costs approximately 150 million per year to carry out these drills; and they are extremely damaging to the environment that liberals claim to hold in such high regard out of the other sides of their mouths!

And, the hysteria over an otherwise dangerous megalomaniac wanting to end one....just one possible nuclear war front that would incinerate the Korean Peninsula and more, is a cause of panic on CNN, MSNBC and other pro war media fronts....which want to wear figleafs of fighting against racism, sexism, homophobia etc. while supporting the imperial forces that threaten and seize wealth from nations abroad! And only surprise to me, is that their gung-ho support for bombing and wars isn't tempered even a little, when the occupant in the White House is declared 'dangerously unbalanced!'
The End!
So what? Since when did the government give much of a shit about how much money the military sucked up? Since when did RW conservatives specifically care?
This thing a RW conservative does when a Democrat even proposes a cut in the military budget is screm about democrats "gutting the military" etc. etc. etc.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
It's your taxes at work! Have you looked it up?
According to the National Priorities Project, as of the fiscal year 2015, "Defense" spending( 598.5 billion ) already accounted for 54% of DISCRETIONARY spending in the annual federal budget. Now if you want to pull more money out of earmarks and "guaranteed" programs like Medicare or Social Security, have at it! But be honest for once about where your real priorities lie, and tell everyone about what you're willing to cut to make up the difference!

And as military spending watchdog - William Hartung notes in a more recent (2017) analysis of the costs of empire - total costs...that can be accounted for within the shell game of military spending has some especially egregious outliers like: 20 billion in annual costs of America's nuclear warheads program is hidden in the Dept. of Energy. And if that's not scary enough, it's not accounting for the future costs of promised "upgrades" to building new nuclear warheads and missile delivery systems over a 10 year period that Obama arbitrarily set in the high 900 billions (to avoid the T-word) and Trump...no surprise has added on the pork to where it has more recently been pegged at 1.6 Trillion...if it all gets done! If things can't get worse, remember that Trump appointed Rick Perry to run the Dept. of Energy!

So, there's a lot, lots of pork to be payed for in today's costs, yesterday's legacy costs from Veterans and other departments, and future promises to build even more advanced and more expensive shit to destroy the planet with! And, I don't hear Dems or McResistance liberals complaining about it either. If anything, what counts for officially allowed opposition in American political circles is even more dangerous than Donald Trump! Because the only time they refrain from condemning or criticizing Trump is when he is bombing some targeted adversary or piling up more money to spend on the military! Worth noting that any student of history, no matter how recent, can look at this pattern and see an empire that has built its way up to the point of collapse and is about to fall under its own weight!
"...But be honest for once about where your real priorities lie...."

'...already accounted for 54% of DISCRETIONARY spending...."

Damn, you're elitist on top of dishonest. I'm all ready, have been, to give up the Empire, slash consumption and the West's high "standard of living" which is a holdover from colonial times and which is driven by obscene levels of consumption, and put the US on a completely sustainable footing showing the world what can be done and how to do it.

However, I'm quite sure that every bit of Empire and every bit of fossil-fueled consumption relinquished will be instantly snapped up by regimes equally or more corrupt than ours, because the global system humankind has created is non-sustainably putrid to its core, and this putrid system is almost certainly controlled by people who are completely invisible. Aliens and lizard people cannot summarily be dismissed, weird as that sounds to say.

You?