Vanishing ice in the Bering Sea ...

Oct 2010
Colorado
From your article:

Rick Thoman, a scientist at the Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy, tells Axios that a combination of unusually mild ocean waters and a persistent, anomalous weather pattern combined to decimate the region's sea ice cover: "One year maybe is a fluke, two years sure looks like we’ve crossed a threshold now.”

• Since Jan. 23, a series of 16 powerful low-pressure systems have moved north from the Pacific into the Bering Sea region, bringing heavy precipitation and mild southerly winds.
  • These winds have vaulted warm, moist air into the region and northward into the Arctic. They've also broken up the thin ice cover.
A weather freak, I've been watching this pattern. Here's one right now:

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 6.25.22 PM.jpg

See that low in the Gulf of Alaska? It's been happening all winter.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
... drops to lowest level since 1850

You don't need to debate the cause to see that this is an indication of a serious problem.

The data is from here: Ho hum February it may be, unless we speak of the Bering Sea | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

The user friendly presentation is here: Ice in the Bering Sea is vanishing, down to its lowest level since 1850
I like your chart it shows for most of the year it SLIGHTLY BELOW Near median Ice .. and the ice was pack was greater than in 2018 and ~23 other of your

Hmm what happens in march.... OH WAIT SPRING..Ice melts..

What your graph says Alaska had a typical winter and it appears to be a warm spring

1552566549256.png

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Colorado
I like your chart it shows for most of the year it SLIGHTLY BELOW Near median Ice .. and the ice was pack was greater than in 2018 and ~23 other of your

Hmm what happens in march.... OH WAIT SPRING..Ice melts..

What your graph says Alaska had a typical winter and it appears to be a warm spring

View attachment 3261
Not just appears to be a warm spring, the warmest two springs since 1850.