War on Drugs is a Joke

Jan 2015
MD
I was at the store the other day and saw a whole section of CBD products: CBD oil, CBD chocolate bars, CBD tea, etc. Mind you, marijuana is illegal where I live.

CBD, an active component of marijuana, has become popular among the middle class via the media as a stress and pain reliever. Marijuana, despite being the same exact thing being sold in stores as CBD, remains illegal mostly because it is consumed primarily by poor and working class people of color. The industry, much like the pharmaceutical companies do with OxyContin (which is pretty much just heroin), just changes the name to meet legal loopholes meanwhile us poor (and mostly Black) folk still get arrested for selling and smoking weed.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I have said for decades we should legalize tax and regulate ALL of the drugs, everything from pot, meth, and heroine to coke and Oxy, ALL of it. Here's the store, take your pick.

Frankly, I think we should do the same with prostitution and gambling (in those states that haven't already).

It would go a very long way to defunding all organized crime. It would take the vast majority of their incentive away. No more Mexican cartels killing thousands. No more money flowing into the hands of terrorists in the middle east. (40% of the opium trade now goes into Taliban pockets)

What we're doing now is NOT working. SO, why not try something new ???

Jan 2015
MD
I have said for decades we should legalize tax and regulate ALL of the drugs, everything from pot, meth, and heroine to coke and Oxy, ALL of it. Here's the store, take your pick.

Frankly, I think we should do the same with prostitution and gambling (in those states that haven't already).

It would go a very long way to defunding all organized crime. It would take the vast majority of their incentive away. No more Mexican cartels killing thousands. No more money flowing into the hands of terrorists in the middle east. (40% of the opium trade now goes into Taliban pockets)

What we're doing now is NOT working. SO, why not try something new ???
As usual, it's all about money. The for-profit prisons need to stay full, so they need to keep up this farcical war on drugs. It was never about morality or any of that, just punishing poor people of color. Same thing with psychedelics: When homeless hippies and artists were licking acid, it was the worse thing on Earth. Now that it has become vogue among wealthy Hollywood and Silicon Valley types, all of a sudden there is a push for legalizing psychedelics. Rich people can use and sell drugs and use legal loopholes to avoid prison. Poor people don't have that luxury.

The fact that folks in California and other places are making billions of dollars growing and selling marijuana, while poor people of color are dying and going to jail over it is a gross injustice.

• Love
Reactions: BubbaJones
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
As usual, it's all about money. The for-profit prisons need to stay full, so they need to keep up this farcical war on drugs. It was never about morality or any of that, just punishing poor people of color. Same thing with psychedelics: When homeless hippies and artists were licking acid, it was the worse thing on Earth. Now that it has become vogue among wealthy Hollywood and Silicon Valley types, all of a sudden there is a push for legalizing psychedelics. Rich people can use and sell drugs and use legal loopholes to avoid prison. Poor people don't have that luxury.

The fact that folks in California and other places are making billions of dollars growing and selling marijuana, while poor people of color are dying and going to jail over it is a gross injustice.

You are absolutely right !!! I'm a fat, bald, 60 year old, middle-class, white guy. If I can see the injustice in the system, if I can see the inherent racism in the system, ANYONE should be able too. Anybody that can't is willfully blind.

Oddly, at work the other day I was talking to a former DEA agent. He agreed with us that we'd be far better off making it all legal. The problem he said is that EVERYONE is getting PAID, in one form or another, by the "war on drugs". Cops, federal agents, prisons, courts, lawyers, governments, not to mention the dealers themselves, ALL earning a living in their roles in the war on drugs.

Reactions: Gordy

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Everything I have read about CBD oil is that it doesn't give a high. It doesn't contain meaningful amounts of THC, the molecule that causes the high.

In the UK, CBD oil is legal if its THC content is less than 0.02% but pot is still illegal.

Reactions: leekohler2
Jul 2019
Georgia
yes, CBD isn't the same as THC.
you can't get high from CBD, I don't care what anyone says
you may get more relaxed and feel less pain, but you won't get stoned

CBD is legal here, but I think it has to be a very very small percentage. CBD doesn't really do the trick for me, though someone gave me some CBD gummies one time that gave me the best sleep of my life (not sure where they come from). Every other time I tried it, nada.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I had a friend who got some CBD flower from New Orleans and it looked and kind of smelled like actual weed

didn't smoke it, but thought that was pretty wild
not sure if I'd want that in areas that still have archaic weed laws, because the cops are going to lock you up before they test it, if they even test it

May 2018
none
Fortunately, I live in a place where marijuana is legal. Also, I had a happy accident. Once it became legal here, I decided to have some fun and bought some. Within about two weeks, I noticed that my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms were not just better, but completely gone. I reported it to my doctor and now I am getting a medical card. Oh, and I just ate a lovely pot mint. ;)

Reactions: se7en

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I had a friend who got some CBD flower from New Orleans and it looked and kind of smelled like actual weed

didn't smoke it, but thought that was pretty wild
not sure if I'd want that in areas that still have archaic weed laws, because the cops are going to lock you up before they test it, if they even test it
I think your buddy was blowing smoke up your nether parts. CBD is an oil that is extracted from pot plants. And then to get legal it has to have THC removed. There are some high THC oils around but this is different.

Anyway, it's an oil. I don't think you can make a powder out of it.

Jul 2019
Georgia
Fortunately, I live in a place where marijuana is legal. Also, I had a happy accident. Once it became legal here, I decided to have some fun and bought some. Within about two weeks, I noticed that my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms were not just better, but completely gone. I reported it to my doctor and now I am getting a medical card. Oh, and I just ate a lovely pot mint. ;)
I'm about to eat some pretzels myself

It's decriminalized here, but unfortunately we don't have dispensaries. Wish they'd make it medical because I'd be first in line for a card, and given my medical history they'd be all "yes, here you go"

I really really need to go pick up some everclear so I can make some tincture. I can't make it when I have my son because you gotta decarb and that kind of gets the house smelling like Willie Nelson's tour bus. He's at the grandparents for the week, so now's the time.