Was the Ark possible? Or is it a fairy tale?

Dec 2015
Arizona
This is important (from IT):
In my opinion, the God of Genesis is a little "god," a primitive human mind's concept of god, highly fallible, taking out his frustrations over his failures on others, blaming others for his failures, truly, a god made in man's image.
The God of the New Testament is far more evolved, has legitimate claim to being a God who is love.

The message of the "small God" needs to be discussed. Pastors are preaching about this concept in mainstream churches. John Pavlovitz wrote about this about a year ago and nailed it. Here's a part of what he said:
I feel sorry for professed Christians who support this President.
They have a profound and fundamental spiritual problem: their God is too small.
They passionately worship a deity made in their own image: white, American, Republican, male—and perpetually terrified of Muslims, immigrants, gay children, Special Counsel reports, mandalas, Harry Potter, Starbucks holiday cups, yoga, wind turbines, Science—everything.
Their God is so laughably minuscule, so fully neutered of power, so completely devoid of functioning vertebrae that “GOD” cannot protect them from the encroaching monsters they are certain lurk around every corner to overwhelm them.
Pavlovitz refers to these folks as MAGA Christians. These are the Christians with such narrow vision and small minds they can't even DIG deeper into the magnitude of God's love---the power of love that is NOT exclusive.
Real, every day Christians believe in and DESERVE a LARGER God--an evolved God.

Reactions: imaginethat

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Unless you can read minds you have no idea what I “really” want or don’t want.
Two can play at this “mind reading” game.
Your unwillingness to share the source of your claims means you know they won’t hold up to objective scrutiny.
And I can state with 98% confidence that my IQ is higher than yours so you can stop with the “low IQ” bullshit right now.

LMFAO. I'm not so insecure that I have to get on the Internet every day of my life and pretend to be smarter than everyone else and I damn sure don't start every response with condescension. I can guarantee your dumb ass that if we bought you for what you're worth and sold you for what you're think you're worth, we'd all be millionaires. You're overconfident. Unlike you, my IQ is higher than my shoe size.

The difference between you and I: I don't have to fuck with others in order to make myself feel good. I'm secure in my intelligence and my masculinity. You? Not so much. But, try convincing the rest of us while you play keyboard commando. PM when you don't need an audience and you really want to know.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Idiot, I don't worship the opinion of some poster on this board. In fact, I'm pretty sure I stated an opinion, my opinion dear idiot, that he likely doesn't share.

You folks who fancy yourselves are spokespeople for the Creator are some of the nastiest sons-of-bitches walking the earth today. I wrote to you with my guard down and willing to listen, and look at the crap you returned.

You are a representative of a "god" who doesn't deserve worship, if your post above displays the effects of worshipping this "god." You are a "christian minister?" I don't buy it. What attributes of Jesus do YOU display?

I'm through with ya. Have the last nasty word if you wish. Return like for like to your heart's content.
I don't have to match you name calling for name calling. Apparently I'm the only swinging dick on this thread that don't need to call others names over the Internet to make a point. What attributes of Jesus do I display?

You turn the other cheek to the extent possible, but when Jesus ran into a crowd like you, he went into the Temple, overturned the tables, took a scourge and beat the Hell out of the money changers.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
The reviews look pretty good.
"
Deceptions and Myths of the Bible by Lloyd Graham
Ever wonder why the Bible (especially the Old Testament) is so strange? After reading this book, you won’t think it so strange after all. But you will wonder why so many people take it literally and treat it as though it was scripture. Includes a fairly easy to understand thesis of how Adam, Cain, Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Elijah, Samson, etc. are all actually one in the same creation/evolution principle/myth told over and over again. And all this time you thought God enjoyed killing people just for sport. ;) If every believing Jew and Christian could just open their mind long enough to read this book, the world could be changed forever. I don't believe everything in this book (but so far in life I've yet to find a book that I could believe in 100%), but it is an interesting read. Some of the scholarism is shaky to say the least. Here are just a few of the many great quotes from the book:

“All religions have good moral teachings, but religion is a duality--a morality to live by and a philosophy to think by. Today most people know that the philosophy of Christianity is false and so have thrown out the morality with it. ...(by throwing out the bad philosophy and keeping the good morality)... This would not be religion but ethics, morality practiced instead of preached.”

“The mystery of life is manmade, not God-made. When an ignorant priesthood introduced the supernatural into a perfectly natural universe, it threw confusion into the human mind. The result was a myriad of warring religions and philosophies all trying like the blind men with the elephant, to explain the whole by something felt (emotional) instead of seen (mental).”

“Let us realize that priests are not revealers of truth but only keepers of traditions, and that the purpose of both the scribes and their later translators was not to reveal the truth but to lay the basis of a theistic religion, based on the supernatural and the terrifying.”

Referring to the Crusades... “There are those who say, it doesn’t matter what men believe; it’s what they do that matters. Yet what they do is but the outer expression of their beliefs. [an error occurred while processing this directive]"

I
nteresting
The deal for me is that I have one of the most extensive private libraries in the state. A lot of my stuff is out of print so I don't eliminate books just because the Net exists. And I read both sides. You seem to like bias confirmation, but look at it like this:

I just went back to Bible college a couple of years ago, earning a degree after I was over 60. It was my second time after wasting years in the legal field. And I never lost a case in court - even when I was the defendant and my life on the line (25 possible years is life to me anyway.) I never lost for one reason: I know the other guy's case better than he does and can argue his points better than he can. The liberals here can't do that.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The reviews look pretty good.
"
Deceptions and Myths of the Bible by Lloyd Graham
Ever wonder why the Bible (especially the Old Testament) is so strange? After reading this book, you won’t think it so strange after all. But you will wonder why so many people take it literally and treat it as though it was scripture. Includes a fairly easy to understand thesis of how Adam, Cain, Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jacob, Elijah, Samson, etc. are all actually one in the same creation/evolution principle/myth told over and over again. And all this time you thought God enjoyed killing people just for sport. ;) If every believing Jew and Christian could just open their mind long enough to read this book, the world could be changed forever. I don't believe everything in this book (but so far in life I've yet to find a book that I could believe in 100%), but it is an interesting read. Some of the scholarism is shaky to say the least. Here are just a few of the many great quotes from the book:

“All religions have good moral teachings, but religion is a duality--a morality to live by and a philosophy to think by. Today most people know that the philosophy of Christianity is false and so have thrown out the morality with it. ...(by throwing out the bad philosophy and keeping the good morality)... This would not be religion but ethics, morality practiced instead of preached.”

“The mystery of life is manmade, not God-made. When an ignorant priesthood introduced the supernatural into a perfectly natural universe, it threw confusion into the human mind. The result was a myriad of warring religions and philosophies all trying like the blind men with the elephant, to explain the whole by something felt (emotional) instead of seen (mental).”

“Let us realize that priests are not revealers of truth but only keepers of traditions, and that the purpose of both the scribes and their later translators was not to reveal the truth but to lay the basis of a theistic religion, based on the supernatural and the terrifying.”

Referring to the Crusades... “There are those who say, it doesn’t matter what men believe; it’s what they do that matters. Yet what they do is but the outer expression of their beliefs. [an error occurred while processing this directive]"
Interesting
Religion (all religions) were created by men to control other men and women and children. That's not to say that "CONTROL" is a bad thing, although it certainly CAN be if abused. Religion (all religions) have rules to follow. Religion (all religions) offers rewards for good behavior and punishment for bad behavior.
Then, religion (all religions) changes the rules.
My generation, my parents' generation AND their parents' generation believed in the 10 Commandments. Those were the absolutes! Those absolutes were drilled into our heads every single day and twice on Sundays. So color us surprised when ONE DAY, those rules were just simply thrown away.
Today, we are told (BY Christians)--oh never mind. Cheating is okay. Lying is fine. Adultery--no problemo. It doesn't matter "what they do" (from Tecoyah's post). It matters what they say??
Are we back to Do as I say--not as I do?
But there's a catch, isn't there? Only certain very special people are allowed to break the rules. The rest of the minions must do as they are told--kinda like the Pharisees in the Old Testament. Jesus has a hissy fit and exposed the religious hypocrisy of the Pharisees and scribes.
Now would be a really REALLY good time for a second coming!

Reactions: imaginethat
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I don't have to match you name calling for name calling. Apparently I'm the only swinging dick on this thread that don't need to call others names over the Internet to make a point. What attributes of Jesus do I display?

You turn the other cheek to the extent possible, but when Jesus ran into a crowd like you, he went into the Temple, overturned the tables, took a scourge and beat the Hell out of the money changers.
You’re a joke.

Reactions: Kode
Feb 2018
Oregon
I'll be a son of a bitch if I let low IQ keyboard commandos try to disrespect me.
Yes well we all see that you are full of yourself. And by the way, speaking of IQ, the many "believers" like yourself completely miss the message waiting for your discovery in the bible when you insist on taking Genesis and all the rest of it literally, like some magical but literal report of actual historical events, instead of grasping the spiritual symbolism and metaphorical nature of it all. You end up with ignorance instead of spiritual consciousness. But with that brain you just can't be shown anything.

Reactions: Clara007