We're not a Democracy, Elizabeth

Mar 2019
Seattle
If the labor force gets to have a bigger say in policy making, which includes holding the state accountable, then we can safely say that the group has some power. Unfortunately, as sociologists have been pointing out for some time now, all of us tend to mistake majoritarianism for democracy (Source: Sociology: The Essentials). Having the biggest mandate is not a sign of unanimous acceptance. Every time I have a conversation with my friends about why taking the interests of minority groups into consideration is an essential aspect of democracy, I hear things like "That's what a commie would say." Which is quite sad.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
We're actually a constitutional representative democracy.
The first sign of someone screaming their ignorance is when they trot out this old canard.
"THOSE AREN'T SNEAKERS, THEY'RE TENNIS SHOES"
"We may say with truth and meaning that governments are more or less republican as they have more or less of the element of popular election and control in their composition." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23

Dec 2015
Arizona
Elizabeth Warren's Labor Plan Would Be Terrible For Workers

"We cannot have a truly democratic society with so little power in the hands of working people," presidential contender Elizabeth Warren wrote in her lengthy labor plan, which she released Thursday in advance of a candidate forum hosted by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). "That's why returning power to working people will be the overarching goal of my presidency." But under the guise of empowering the working class, the Massachusetts senator's plan actually gives an awful lot of power to the federal government—and harms workers in the process.
But hey- what's a little lie or two amongst acolytes?
A few points of interest here.
First, the title of the site/link: Reason--Free Minds and Free Markets. Need I say more?
Second, the arguments from the society of "free markets" are always *ALWAYS* the same: "OH WE GOT TROUBLE!"
PRICES WILL GO UP. MINIMUM WAGE--BAD. Government--BAD. UNIONS--BAD. Workers COULD be hurt--BAD.
Returning power to workers--BAD.
Here's a quote. Let's see a raise of hands. How many can find the TRIGGER word: "If she gets her way, she could kill ridesharing and other gig economy businesses." If you said "COULD".......you would be a smarty pants. Congrats!

AND here's another gem--you'll love it:
A corporate board is supposed to protect and maximize shareholders' assets; workers do not always have the same incentives or specialized knowledge necessary to carry out that fiduciary duty.
Who buys that load of crap?
I'm totally with Warren on these issues: Non-compete policies, salary history (none of their beeswax), allowing grad students to unionize.
One more thing. You can bet that Warren is smart enough to know that WHEN you're negotiating (in business or politics) you ask for THE MOON and the STARS, then settle for the STARS.
One more thing---yeah--I know I already said that. The last 8 words of the piece:
"....if those companies stay in business at all."
Ka-BOOM--fear and intimidation is BACK. Again.
Thanks! GOP for being so predictable.

Reactions: leekohler2
Sep 2019
Texas
A few points of interest here.
First, the title of the site/link: Reason--Free Minds and Free Markets. Need I say more?
Second, the arguments from the society of "free markets" are always *ALWAYS* the same: "OH WE GOT TROUBLE!"
PRICES WILL GO UP. MINIMUM WAGE--BAD. Government--BAD. UNIONS--BAD. Workers COULD be hurt--BAD.
Returning power to workers--BAD.
Here's a quote. Let's see a raise of hands. How many can find the TRIGGER word: "If she gets her way, she could kill ridesharing and other gig economy businesses." If you said "COULD".......you would be a smarty pants. Congrats!

AND here's another gem--you'll love it:
A corporate board is supposed to protect and maximize shareholders' assets; workers do not always have the same incentives or specialized knowledge necessary to carry out that fiduciary duty.
Who buys that load of crap?
I'm totally with Warren on these issues: Non-compete policies, salary history (none of their beeswax), allowing grad students to unionize.
One more thing. You can bet that Warren is smart enough to know that WHEN you're negotiating (in business or politics) you ask for THE MOON and the STARS, then settle for the STARS.
One more thing---yeah--I know I already said that. The last 8 words of the piece:
"....if those companies stay in business at all."
Ka-BOOM--fear and intimidation is BACK. Again.
Thanks! GOP for being so predictable.
2 points: Knowledge isn't biased in its origin and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable.

May 2018
Chicago
2 points: Knowledge isn't biased in its origin and can manifest itself in ways unimaginable.
One point: a clearly biased op-ed piece from a right wing news source is not a place to gain knowledge. Period. End of story. Clara showed you exactly why.