West Virginia House panel votes to impeach entire state Supreme Court

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
On Tuesday, the state House panel adopted articles of impeachment against all of its sitting justices: Chief Justice Margaret Workman, Justice Robin Davis, Justice Beth Walker and Justice Allen Loughry. Loughry was indicted in June for fraud, witness tampering and lying to investigators.

The articles charge the justices with maladministration, corruption, incompetency, neglect of duty and certain high crimes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/09/west-virginia-supreme-court-justices-impeachment/944619002/

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
From November

The West Virginia Supreme Court is a secretive place. In fact, this is the first time anyone here can remember that TV cameras were allowed into the inner sanctum, the private offices of the five justices.

Since 2009, there has been a lot of renovation work going on here. The original estimate for the upgrades was about $900,000. That has since ballooned to more than $3.7 million.

When Eyewitness News looked closer, we found some things we thought you should know about.

We start with Chief Justice Allen Loughry's chambers. He took office in 2013 with work on his office beginning soon thereafter. The total cost for the work was just over $363,000, but that included some major expenditures for office furniture. Namely, a sectional sofa with a price tag of nearly $32,000, complete with $1,700 in throw pillows.
wchstv.com/news/waste-watch/waste-watch-investigation-wv-supreme-court-spending-examined

I read someplace earlier about a $30k cell phone but couldn't find it. Maybe they mistook the couch for a phone, but for some reason i doubt it.

Wonder why this is not a bigger story?

They are literally not going to have a supreme court!!!

Has this ever happened before?

Nov 2012
nirvana
From November

wchstv.com/news/waste-watch/waste-watch-investigation-wv-supreme-court-spending-examined

I read someplace earlier about a $30k cell phone but couldn't find it. Maybe they mistook the couch for a phone, but for some reason i doubt it.

Wonder why this is not a bigger story?

They are literally not going to have a supreme court!!!

Has this ever happened before?

Don't know, but this is just another example of the precedents that are being put in place by conservative republicans since the election of Trump.

You be sure to file this post away now. We will be revisiting it again, when these precedents start coming back to bite these conservative republicans in the ass a little further down the road, and we have to listen to them cry foul about how they are being singled out.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Don't know, but this is just another example of the precedents that are being put in place by conservative republicans since the election of Trump.

You be sure to file this post away now. We will be revisiting it again, when these precedents start coming back to bite these conservative republicans in the ass a little further down the road, and we have to listen to them cry foul about how they are being singled out.
Wow!!!!

At least you didn't try and blame russia. There is that.

What a off the wall partisan post.

I think that TDS may be covered by your welfare- healthcare. You should look into that

Jun 2018
South Dakota
If you're thinking the WV House will suffer the same fate as the Reps after the impeachment of Wild Willy I wouldn't hold my breath. This looks like constituent pressure to do something about the out of control excesses of the justices. If you have more to contribute try facts and not dark predictions of future plagues on their House.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Oh, yeah. The courts having to kowtow to the whims of the legislatures.

What could possibly go wrong?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons

Saying it twice doesn't make it any more clear ;-)

Seriously. What are you going on about?