West Virginia Oil Train Derailment Sends Crude Tanker Into River

Jun 2014
United States
West Virginia Oil Train Derailment Sends Crude Tanker Into River

A train carrying more than 100 tankers of crude oil derailed in southern West Virginia on Monday, sending at least one into the Kanawha River, igniting at least 14 tankers and sparking a house fire, officials said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries. Nearby residents were told to evacuate as a state emergency response and environmental officials headed to the scene about 30 miles southeast of Charleston.

The state was under a winter storm warning and getting heavy snowfall at times, with as much as 5 inches in some places. It's not clear if the weather had anything to do with the derailment, which occurred about 1:20 EST along a flat stretch of rail.

Public Safety spokesman Lawrence Messina said responders at the scene reported one tanker and possibly another went into the river. Messina said local emergency responders were having trouble getting to the house that caught fire.

James Bennett, 911 coordinator for Fayette County, said he knew of no injuries related to the house fire or subsequent tanker fires. He said a couple hundred families were evacuated as a precaution.
Mountain Top Removal destroyed most of the rivers in WV for over 15 years. Seems as though Oil will finish them off. I'll bet West Virginia opts for alternative fuel real soon.

Reactions: 2 people
Apr 2013
The Milky Way
Yeah, the alternatives are burn wood, or freeze to death in winter. Oil, coal, natural gas, prevented how many of the 100+ million Americans from exposure, and even death, during the massive cold wave across the nation?

How many here are 'fossil fuel' free? They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Jun 2014
United States
NAFTC | About Us

Founded in 1992, the National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium (NAFTC) is the only nationwide training organization dedicated to promoting, supporting, and expanding the use of alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles in an effort to improve air quality and decrease U.S. dependence on foreign oil.

It is our mission to educate the nation about alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles through program management, curriculum development, training implementation and outreach and education activities leading to the decrease of U.S. dependence on foreign oil and the improvement of air quality.

Headquartered at West Virginia University, the NAFTC consists of National and Associate Training Centers located nationwide from Maine to California. Each center provides Training with Impact through its experienced instructors and real-world shop facilities. Numerous other members from small businesses, government, and industry also support the NAFTC’s mission.
It seems as though it's a situation they have been working on.

Mountaintop Mining Legacy: Destroying Appalachia?s Streams by John McQuaid: Yale Environment 360

Margaret Palmer, a biology professor at the University of Maryland, was part of a team of scientists that compiled a comprehensive database of 37,000 U.S. river and stream restoration projects. She found no record of any mining-related stream-building project that could be called ecologically successful.

“Can you create these streams de novo, from scratch? There’s no evidence,” says Palmer, who testified on behalf of West Virginia environmental groups in a suit faulting the Army Corps of Engineers’ stream management. “Over thousands of years, I think you could do it. You have to have erosion of the land, get the hydrology back. I’m a restoration ecologist — I hope it can be done. But given how much damage they’ve done, right now I don’t think so.”

Take a big step back for a moment. Mountain ecosystems developed over millions of years in tandem with evolving patterns of snow and rainfall. On an unspoiled mountain, some rain is immediately absorbed by the soil, while the remainder trickles into stream beds and eventually flows into

Mountaintop removal operations, like this one at the Hobet 21 site, blast through hundreds of feet of rock to extract coal seams.
larger waterways. Between rainfalls, mountain soil acts as a kind of sponge: Some of its water is taken up by trees and other plants, some gradually released into streams. This system creates a steady flow in the spring and summer that sustains entire watersheds and the surrounding ecosystems that depend on them.
Once destroyed, it's destroyed. Just how much water do the teabagging born again evangelical political cult figure we can destroy before it's all gone and we have nothing to drink?

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2006
California
Yeah, the alternatives are burn wood, or freeze to death in winter. Oil, coal, natural gas, prevented how many of the 100+ million Americans from exposure, and even death, during the massive cold wave across the nation?

How many here are 'fossil fuel' free? They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.
"Replacing Oil: Alternative Fuels and Technologies."

Replacing Oil: This feature appeared in the Fall 2006 issue of Resources.

A printer-friendly PDF version is also available:

http://www.rff.org/rff/News/Features/upload/25011_1.pdf

Industrial Hemp | Organic BioFuel

Apr 2013
The Milky Way
There is nothing even close on the horizon that will replace coal, oil, natural gas.

As I indicated previously, 100+ million Americans were kept safe and warm during this massive cold wave thanks to 'fossil fuels'. Nothing else could do that, not even fantasies of posters.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Yeah...they all walked...or took pogo sticks to the demonstration. Hey, IC...have you gotten rid of your car, yet? What about plastic??? Do you get enough moonlight to see what you are doing??? Shock & horror...are you going to give up your posting after you cut the cord??? My goodness...what a dilemma. But...as my grandma would say: "Whenna life giva you de lemma...you maka dilemmanade." :grin: