What are thoughts of Universal Basic Income

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I'm asking this as a concept, not necessarily could/should it work in the US?

On the "Pro" side, this would eliminate the need for many of the government assistance programs and essentially lump them all into one universal system. Poverty would be reduced and hunger would be seemingly non-existent. As well, it could be argued that it would allow for individuals to pursue their passions, rather than just a means to make money. For example let's say I make $50K working a boring desk job. If I'm instead getting $30K from a universal basic income, I'm probably going to pursue a career in the culinary world where my passion is, even though the average salary is much much less than my desk job. One could argue that humans ability to fully express their creativity could lead to more progress than the current system.

On the "Nay: side, there's the obvious objection of cost. Cost cost cost. Even eliminating all entitlement programs likely would not pay for a UBI that would provided substantial benefit. As well, free paychecks could cause rampant laziness for those who just want enough to get by. In fact it's likely progress will slow because people's income is not dependent on getting better at their job. For example, if I do pursue my career in the culinary arts and it's ALOT more work than I thought I'd be, I'm more likely to quit because my income is not dependent on it.

What are everyone's thoughts on this as a concept?

Reactions: bill sands
May 2018
USA
Universal Basic Income will become a requirement in the near future if we're not to face massive starvation. Fact of the matter is this: human jobs are being replaced at an ever increasing rate by automation. Already a sizable chunk of the population cannot find suitable employment. No attempts at population control are ongoing and, indeed, the low-IQ religious people are still pushing massive birthrates, especially in backward 3rd world countries. Hence, resources/jobs are getting scarcer and scarcer.

The future of this world is hellish. I'm glad I won't be around when it all comes screeching to a stop, but with a dullard like Trump calling the shots the end is just being exacerbated (ie: moved closer).

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Universal Basic Income will become a requirement in the near future if we're not to face massive starvation. Fact of the matter is this: human jobs are being replaced at an ever increasing rate by automation. Already a sizable chunk of the population cannot find suitable employment. No attempts at population control are ongoing and, indeed, the low-IQ religious people are still pushing massive birthrates, especially in backward 3rd world countries. Hence, resources/jobs are getting scarcer and scarcer.

The future of this world is hellish. I'm glad I won't be around when it all comes screeching to a stop, but with a dullard like Trump calling the shots the end is just being exacerbated (ie: moved closer).
I'd like to keep this thread free of left/right statements, preferably. I'm yet to see President Trump make any kind of comment on this type of concept so I don't think he or his supporters specifically have anything to do with it.

Reactions: Spdy and Sabcat

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I am against it as just a gimme. I won't mind a minimum income if there is some form of workfare applied. Some type of effort at job training, working at childcare for others on the program or something. I don't care if you make two teams and have half carry rocks from point A to point B and the other half carry them back again, but just giving them money to sit on their butts or worse is just wrong to me.

Reactions: imaginethat
May 2018
USA
I'd like to keep this thread free of left/right statements, preferably. I'm yet to see President Trump make any kind of comment on this type of concept so I don't think he or his supporters specifically have anything to do with it.
I'm referring to the Evangelicals, the "every sperm is sacred" morons. That is the mindset that will inevitably lead the human race to a miserable "Soylent Green" type existence. Regarding UBI I made my point clear; eventually it will be a requirement if you don't want massive starvation in the streets.

Reactions: imaginethat
Nov 2012
nirvana
I'm asking this as a concept, not necessarily could/should it work in the US?

On the "Pro" side, this would eliminate the need for many of the government assistance programs and essentially lump them all into one universal system. Poverty would be reduced and hunger would be seemingly non-existent. As well, it could be argued that it would allow for individuals to pursue their passions, rather than just a means to make money. For example let's say I make $50K working a boring desk job. If I'm instead getting $30K from a universal basic income, I'm probably going to pursue a career in the culinary world where my passion is, even though the average salary is much much less than my desk job. One could argue that humans ability to fully express their creativity could lead to more progress than the current system.

On the "Nay: side, there's the obvious objection of cost. Cost cost cost. Even eliminating all entitlement programs likely would not pay for a UBI that would provided substantial benefit. As well, free paychecks could cause rampant laziness for those who just want enough to get by. In fact it's likely progress will slow because people's income is not dependent on getting better at their job. For example, if I do pursue my career in the culinary arts and it's ALOT more work than I thought I'd be, I'm more likely to quit because my income is not dependent on it.

What are everyone's thoughts on this as a concept?
It would have to be incentivized. The biggest plus is it would put workers in a better position to bargain for higher pay.

Nov 2012
nirvana
Can you expand on that?
For those who are able to work, and have the ability to obtain employment, if they choose UI, then they could only receive an amount not more than $12K a year, and would receive limited subsidy for health care.

Most people than can and are able to work would choose to work, given necessity or lifestyle. Also it would put those that choose to work in a better position to bargain individually for higher wages or better benefits.

The biggest incentive would be those who choose UI over their current employment would receive added income if they do start a business or any endeavor in which they create employment opportunity to others or contribute in a philanthropic manner that benefits society or even their community.

Even the layabouts that only receive the annual $12K are still going to spend that money, so it goes directly into the local economy. Which would be the same for the disabled, retired poor, who are spening the money for just basic needs in the local economy.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I'm referring to the Evangelicals, the "every sperm is sacred" morons. That is the mindset that will inevitably lead the human race to a miserable "Soylent Green" type existence. Regarding UBI I made my point clear; eventually it will be a requirement if you don't want massive starvation in the streets.

Well, here i thought you were talking about the inbreeding imports.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I could get behind it if it was based like this.

Basically replaces all other entitlement programs. At 21 everyone gets $13k/yr and they must devote $3k to healthcare. No exceptions.