What are thoughts of Universal Basic Income

Dec 2017
USA
I'm asking this as a concept, not necessarily could/should it work in the US?
@UDub, others

There is no need to consider this on the level of the federal government, we have states and counties in order to break such matters up into smaller chunks that may, in principle, agree. If a county in one or multiple states decides they want to provide a UBI through tax dollars, that is good with me.

I have discussed on the board previously, it is possibly to provide oneself with essentially a UBI if planned and executed proplerly, without any real difficulty. That way, one does not have to mandate it into local, state, and/or federal government, but is of one's own initiative. This, I am in full support of, and further would recommend it. Time is a currency, as is money.

May 2018
USA
It would have to be incentivized. The biggest plus is it would put workers in a better position to bargain for higher pay.
I fear the opposite will be the case. Imagine a future in which 99% of the jobs are done by machines. The 1% that have jobs are the people who MAINTAIN the machines. What leverage will those "worthless mouths" who make up the 99% have on the powers that be? They have nothing of value to offer. Their labor isn't needed whatsoever. Consider that all the farming will be done by machines and stockpiled by massive corporations, corporations that have no interest in alleviating human suffering whatsoever, but only a profit motive. In a world with no jobs, and no food, the powers that be can simply do whatever they want. The only possible savior is technological advancement, and a sizable chunk of the population choose to remain ignorant nonetheless.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.” - George Orwell

bar

Jan 2014
It would have to be incentivized. The biggest plus is it would put workers in a better position to bargain for higher pay.
I agree there has to be incentive. I don’t think money has to be that incentive.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I am against it as just a gimme. I won't mind a minimum income if there is some form of workfare applied. Some type of effort at job training, working at childcare for others on the program or something. I don't care if you make two teams and have half carry rocks from point A to point B and the other half carry them back again, but just giving them money to sit on their butts or worse is just wrong to me.
omg, I am not even gonna bother with this IGNORANT and vindictive workfare idea.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I could get behind it if it was based like this.

Basically replaces all other entitlement programs. At 21 everyone gets $13k/yr and they must devote $3k to healthcare. No exceptions.

13 K is not enough and healthcare should be universal and paid for differently.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Is this universal basic income, to be accompanied with a Universal basic work in return?

If not it will be a massive boondoggle

Jul 2014
massachusetts
There will come a time when societies that don't have this will be considered savages.
The market is useful, when faced with choice, I can spend more to get something better, or spend less, save some money.
That's fine.
But when it gets to being unemployed and homeless, and having no money for food, that's just wrong.
Society sets a floor, we have welfare and unemployment, this scheme eliminates the bureaucracy, it protects the citizens from the crueler aspects of capitalism, which in turn protects the wealthy from revolution.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Income without productivity will become boondoggle. More and more people will chose free money vs work for a wage.. Human nature.