What are thoughts of Universal Basic Income

Jul 2018
Earth
well then we have to make sure that those that would kill us are convinced that if they try.. they are toast.. i dont plan on going quietly i doubt you plan to either do not go gentle into that good night rage rage against the dying of the light
It is very easy to kill off 80% of the world's population. The problem would be what to do with over 6 Billion corpses. The stench would be unbearable.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
I'm asking this as a concept, not necessarily could/should it work in the US?

On the "Pro" side, this would eliminate the need for many of the government assistance programs and essentially lump them all into one universal system. Poverty would be reduced and hunger would be seemingly non-existent. As well, it could be argued that it would allow for individuals to pursue their passions, rather than just a means to make money. For example let's say I make $50K working a boring desk job. If I'm instead getting $30K from a universal basic income, I'm probably going to pursue a career in the culinary world where my passion is, even though the average salary is much much less than my desk job. One could argue that humans ability to fully express their creativity could lead to more progress than the current system.

On the "Nay: side, there's the obvious objection of cost. Cost cost cost. Even eliminating all entitlement programs likely would not pay for a UBI that would provided substantial benefit. As well, free paychecks could cause rampant laziness for those who just want enough to get by. In fact it's likely progress will slow because people's income is not dependent on getting better at their job. For example, if I do pursue my career in the culinary arts and it's ALOT more work than I thought I'd be, I'm more likely to quit because my income is not dependent on it.

What are everyone's thoughts on this as a concept?
good post very constructive dailogue here

Jul 2018
Earth
how do you kil that many people?
Use biological and chemical weapons. A large percentage will bite the dust very quickly and the rest will croak shortly afterwards. It's very easy to do in Third World countries. It could be done in less than a day.

How the U.S. Government Tested Biological Warfare on America
"As leaves turned red, and as San Francisco segued into the smoky autumn of 1950, Edward Nevin lay dying in a hospital bed.

A rare bacteria had entered his urinary tract, made its way through his bloodstream, and clung to his heart -- a bacteria that had never been seen in the hospital’s history. Before researchers could hypothesize the bacteria's root cause, ten more patients were admitted with the same infection. Doctors were baffled: how could have this microbe presented itself?

For nearly thirty years, the incident remained a secret -- until Edward Nevin’s grandson set out to bring about justice.

What ensued was a series of terrifying revelations: for two decades, the United States government had intentionally doused 293 populated areas with bacteria. They'd done this with secrecy. They’d done this without informing citizens of potentially dangerous exposure. They’d done this without taking precautions to protect the public’s health and safety, and with no medical follow-up

And it had all started in 1950, with the spraying of San Francisco."

America Has Dropped 1,032 Nuclear Weapons (On Itself)
During the early years of nuclear testing it was anticipated that nuclear weapons would be used on the battlefield, and that the Army and Marine Corps had better get used to operating on a “nuclear battlefield.” During the 1952 Big Shot test, 1,700 ground troops took shelter in trenches just seven thousand yards from the thirty-three-kiloton explosion. After the test, the troops conducted a simulated assault that took them to within 160 meters of ground zero. This test and others like them led to increases in leukemia, prostate and nasal cancers among those that participated.

We are the meanest mother________ on the planet so don't think we will play nice all of the time.

Dec 2017
USA
Income without productivity will become boondoggle. More and more people will chose free money vs work for a wage.. Human nature.
@TNV

Not that many workers are necessarily needed in order to maintain society as it currently runs. If 20ish% opt out of working, we would be just fine, in all honesty.

Reactions: Twisted Sister
Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Use biological and chemical weapons. A large percentage will bite the dust very quickly and the rest will croak shortly afterwards. It's very easy to do in Third World countries. It could be done in less than a day.

"As leaves turned red, and as San Francisco segued into the smoky autumn of 1950, Edward Nevin lay dying in a hospital bed.

A rare bacteria had entered his urinary tract, made its way through his bloodstream, and clung to his heart -- a bacteria that had never been seen in the hospital’s history. Before researchers could hypothesize the bacteria's root cause, ten more patients were admitted with the same infection. Doctors were baffled: how could have this microbe presented itself?

For nearly thirty years, the incident remained a secret -- until Edward Nevin’s grandson set out to bring about justice.

What ensued was a series of terrifying revelations: for two decades, the United States government had intentionally doused 293 populated areas with bacteria. They'd done this with secrecy. They’d done this without informing citizens of potentially dangerous exposure. They’d done this without taking precautions to protect the public’s health and safety, and with no medical follow-up

And it had all started in 1950, with the spraying of San Francisco."

During the early years of nuclear testing it was anticipated that nuclear weapons would be used on the battlefield, and that the Army and Marine Corps had better get used to operating on a “nuclear battlefield.” During the 1952 Big Shot test, 1,700 ground troops took shelter in trenches just seven thousand yards from the thirty-three-kiloton explosion. After the test, the troops conducted a simulated assault that took them to within 160 meters of ground zero. This test and others like them led to increases in leukemia, prostate and nasal cancers among those that participated.

We are the meanest mother________ on the planet so don't think we will play nice all of the time.
wouldnt that cause radioctive fallout?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Sarcasm Alert! DTT is world wide and Australia banned sarcasm.
this isnt australia and that wasnt what happened one university there TRIED to ban sarcasm, nothing came of it, see you need to work on paying attention to details, you look smarter that way

Jul 2018
Earth
@TNV

Not that many workers are necessarily needed in order to maintain society as it currently runs. If 20ish% opt out of working, we would be just fine, in all honesty.
The problem is that at some point the percentage of unemployed would become a major security problem. How could China cope with 300 million unemployed people in the prime of their lives? The government would have to kill them.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
@TNV

In manufacturing an 86% up time is nominal and anything higher is either lucky or lying.