What Attracts Some Women to Conservatism?

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
I find it puzzling that some women find satisfaction in political ideologies that promote wage and occupation discrimination, that promote limitations on female health decisions, that discourage female athletic, science, technology, military, and mathematics careers, that promote objectification of women's bodies and diminish the mental effort or social contributions of women. Generally, social concerns seem to predominate among female voters and women often promote interest in healthcare, family, child, education, and other social concerns (issues of little interest to conservatives, usually). Yet, some women favor RW politics.

One of the most obvious examples of this paradox was Megyn Kelly who was subjected to a series of events that should have politicized even the most naive female about the hostile work environment of Faux news, the harassment of ambitions women (by Trump, for instance), and the attempts a sexploition as a condition of work. Yet, she never expressed any recognition of this RW behavior or the political dogma of traditionalism inherent in conservatism that promoted the circumstances she confronted.

Any explanations? One might try to explain Sarah Palin, Hope Hicks, Kirstjen Nielsen, even Nicky Haley when addressing this topic.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Here's the profile from what I've gleaned:
The majority of Conservative women are white, without college degrees, Evangelical Christians, attracted to Trump's conservative policies--particularly the appointment of a conservative SCOTUS and anti-abortion fanatics. They work to support a blue-collar husband and there's a BIG gender dynamic at play--a particular masculinity lending itself to strength, decisiveness, control and Alpha dog.
These same women were raised in VERY traditional households with patriarchal figures preaching/teaching man/woman marriage, submissive spouses/children, Bible-thumping including hell-fire and damnation to the deviants. Central and Southern states played a big part in Trump's win.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The majority of Conservative women are white, without college degrees, Evangelical Christians, attracted to Trump's conservative policies--particularly the appointment of a conservative SCOTUS and anti-abortion fanatics. They work to support a blue-collar husband and there's a BIG gender dynamic at play--a particular masculinity lending itself to strength, decisiveness, control and Alpha dog.
These same women were raised in VERY traditional households with patriarchal figures preaching/teaching man/woman marriage, submissive spouses/children, Bible-thumping including hell-fire and damnation to the deviants. Central and Southern states played a big part in Trump's win.
You can't overstress the fundie menace factor here IMO.

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
My my, what do we have here a sexist thread? We are going to discuss what women like? I just can't have that.:lol::lol::lol:
I don't think you really understand anything about discrimination, sexism or prejudice. However, if you really think it is "sexist" to discuss anomalous behaviors, then make your case. Of course, that would require some mature thinking and discussing, which do not seem to be your skill set.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
I suppose it is possible for women to shut off their brains and buy into that sort of traditionalist mentality and the rationalizations that feed the RW ideologies, but why aren't there just as many female as male conservatives in that case. The conservative messaging is clearly anti-women that it must involve some degree of self-loathing for women to pursue that sort of thinking.

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
I suppose it is possible for women to shut off their brains and buy into that sort of traditionalist mentality and the rationalizations that feed the RW ideologies, but why aren't there just as many female as male conservatives in that case. The conservative messaging is clearly anti-women that it must involve some degree of self-loathing for women to pursue that sort of thinking.
Age and education play a big part in defining the Conservative woman. According to Pew, the Silent Generation (born 1928 to 1945) is the only generational group that has more GOP leaners and identifying voters than Democratic-oriented voters. About half (52%) of Silent Generation voters identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. Republicans have been gaining ground over the past several years with those who do not have bachelor’s degrees. Among those with no more than a high school education, 47% affiliate with the GOP or lean Republican, while 45% identify as Democrats or lean Democratic...which may explain why the GOP is at war with public education. AND let's remember that Conservative women are WHITE women. White Catholic women lean conservative. White Morman women lean conservative. (Pretty sure the abortion issue is at play here.). Jewish women? Democrats.

Again, the key descriptive words are "Conditioning. Indoctrination."

Reactions: Lyzza and Biff
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Age and education play a big part in defining the Conservative woman. According to Pew, the Silent Generation (born 1928 to 1945) is the only generational group that has more GOP leaners and identifying voters than Democratic-oriented voters. About half (52%) of Silent Generation voters identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. Republicans have been gaining ground over the past several years with those who do not have bachelor’s degrees. Among those with no more than a high school education, 47% affiliate with the GOP or lean Republican, while 45% identify as Democrats or lean Democratic...which may explain why the GOP is at war with public education. AND let's remember that Conservative women are WHITE women. White Catholic women lean conservative. White Morman women lean conservative. (Pretty sure the abortion issue is at play here.). Jewish women? Democrats.

Again, the key descriptive words are "Conditioning. Indoctrination."
Women sometimes stay with mates who are abusers, so there may be a degree of conditioning (Stockholm Syndrome, in effect). However, I don't think all conservative-oriented women are just brain-washed. There seems to be some other factors at work. There are always outliers politically -- African-americans who deny or find exceptions to discrimination; Jews for White Nationalism, for example--- but the pervasiveness of female conservatism does not seem similar to that. There must be some link between the Ann Coulters, Monica Crowleys, Laura Ingrahams, Sarah Huckabees or Kellyanne Conway that we are missing here. Is it just the male support and money? Is it just rationalization and denial that allows them to look past reality and believe "alternative facts"? Is there some appeal of conservatism to those with some personality defect?