What Attracts Some Women to Conservatism?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Interesting comments. Perhaps Christian religion is the toxic element in the conversions. However, what do the various forms of religion offer that is appealing to females uniquely ( I doubt that there is much valid correlation between serious religion and RW male thinking. Among males, religion seems mostly to be part of the identity of conservatism, not a real driving force shaping political ideology.).
I suspect as they get older, like all of us, but more so for women, they get tired. Tired of fighting the patriarchy. Tired of fighting the good fight. Tired of not making a real difference. If they are religious they start putting more of their faith in the hope that things will be better in what ever they believe comes next. I think as they start to realize they are closer to death than their birth, they realize their own mortality, they resign themselves to being largely unable to change the world, or the realization that any change they might effect will come at a very high personal price.

As for the men. You are totally wrong there. The very ROOT of the RW male thinking, in fact most male thinking is found in Christianity. It was written by and for the male patriarchy. Even for the non-religious, hell even atheistic, Christianity is at the very root, the very core of male thinking. Of course we can have the chicken versus egg conversation as to which came first. But judeo-christianity is so pervasive, so totally embedded in our society and our thought processes, you really can't escape it.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Interesting comments. Perhaps Christian religion is the toxic element in the conversions. However, what do the various forms of religion offer that is appealing to females uniquely ( I doubt that there is much valid correlation between serious religion and RW male thinking. Among males, religion seems mostly to be part of the identity of conservatism, not a real driving force shaping political ideology.).
I think Bubba has a good point and YES! Religion plays a bigger part for some women, but WHY just some women and WHY those particular women?
I'm very religious. Raised in the church. Never missed a Sunday. Grandmothers were church organists and choir directors. Mother taught Sunday School/Bible School. I attended church camps and did some undergraduate work at a Methodist College--very strict. I am currently on four committees at church, Mr. Clara sings in the choir--I've directed choir and played for church--done Bible Studies---yadda yadda, but I'm not as cuckoo as some of the women we're talking about and I'm certainly not a conservative. I'm independent as HELL, fiery, sassy and politically informed. So.....how come I'm not cuckoo?? Uhh..okay that was a loaded question. LOL

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I think Bubba has a good point and YES! Religion plays a bigger part for some women, but WHY just some women and WHY those particular women?
I'm very religious. Raised in the church. Never missed a Sunday. Grandmothers were church organists and choir directors. Mother taught Sunday School/Bible School. I attended church camps and did some undergraduate work at a Methodist College--very strict. I am currently on four committees at church, Mr. Clara sings in the choir--I've directed choir and played for church--done Bible Studies---yadda yadda, but I'm not as cuckoo as some of the women we're talking about and I'm certainly not a conservative. I'm independent as HELL, fiery, sassy and politically informed. So.....how come I'm not cuckoo?? Uhh..okay that was a loaded question. LOL

On that front Clara, I don’t have an answer for you. I was surprised by my moms slow conversion. I assumed she’d be like you, involved in the church but still independent in both actions and thoughts. The only thing I can think of is isolation. I and my brother both moved away for jobs. My sister who stayed in the area and eventually practically next door, has always been attached to the church. So the only thing I can think of is she slowly stopped having contact with anyone outside the church.

Beyond that I have no idea.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I know a few women conservatives, I know one voted for Hillary, who she didn't like, but she couldn't vote for Trump, because he was such a disgusting pig.
The others vote like their husbands vote.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
From my observations of Mrs. RNG and the family of the former Miss. RNG, I would say the Baptists are the worst for subjugating women. And before the Muslim haters chime in, I am speaking of christian sects.

That is the conclusion that even former President Jimmy Carter came to to the extent that he left them.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
There are some interesting families with discordant husband-wife politics
Conway family (likely will not survive Kellyanne's association with Trump; George T. Conway was "just an average Republican", not a Trump-loving wacko, now independent)
James Carville and Mary Matlin

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
I suspect as they get older, like all of us, but more so for women, they get tired. Tired of fighting the patriarchy. Tired of fighting the good fight. Tired of not making a real difference. If they are religious they start putting more of their faith in the hope that things will be better in what ever they believe comes next. I think as they start to realize they are closer to death than their birth, they realize their own mortality, they resign themselves to being largely unable to change the world, or the realization that any change they might effect will come at a very high personal price.

As for the men. You are totally wrong there. The very ROOT of the RW male thinking, in fact most male thinking is found in Christianity. It was written by and for the male patriarchy. Even for the non-religious, hell even atheistic, Christianity is at the very root, the very core of male thinking. Of course we can have the chicken versus egg conversation as to which came first. But judeo-christianity is so pervasive, so totally embedded in our society and our thought processes, you really can't escape it.
Most male conservatives I know do not really behave as religious folks but give lip service to "god" and promote theocratic sorts of political ideas. That may be inconsistent with my earlier observations, but I see more frequent religious expression by Jews than Christian men (when is the last time you saw male wearing a cross?). Conservative women do seem to "cling" to their religion.

Most Jewish friends and family are socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
Not many contacts with Islamic families, but the politics expressed by elected muslim/black muslim individuals tend to be more aligned with Democrats than Republicans (Omar, for example).

True religious beliefs (as opposed to the convenient socially conservative cliches) are hard for me to assess as a factor in male conservative politics. Does Mitch McConnell or Lindsey Graham really turn to the Bible for ethical and moral guidance?

Dec 2016
Canada

I think you're the only one so far who's touched on a class analysis to explain why some women would identify as conservatives. All other talk limited to race and gender explains next to nothing, so the arguments can go on forever.

Notions of social and gender equality are not some modern revelation of the enlightenment/ but a longing for a simpler time in the past, when people lived easier, more fulfilling lives close to nature. All hierarchies of wealth and status are recent...in human evolutionary terms, coming less than 5000 years ago during a time when settled agriculture predominated. And religious dogmas didn't determine women's or anyone's roles in society! Instead, religious reasonings and justifications were applied afterwards to explain why things are the way they are....or explain them away. So, they changed the religious beliefs of our distant ancestors....who thought that the supreme being had to be an earth mother goddess....because a creator has to bring new life into the world....and men don't make babies! But, when the early agrarian societies became male-dominated...and dominated by men with power over others, they changed the religious dynamics to reflect the way they thought society should work. So, they kept an earth mother for awhile, BUT made a conquering sky god the supreme being! Eventually in Judeo/christian religion, that deity becomes the only god in monotheism.....and he has babies somehow...but that's never explained in detail! Anyway, the religious dogmas were added on/not preceeding them. This is why some 'primitive' societies where missionaries from Christian and Islamic sects set up schools teaching their religious doctrines, the people may accept the books and their teachings, BUT if their ways of life have not changed, they maintain their traditional customs regardless of what the books say or the foreign teachers tell them they need to do!

As for why are some western, North American women conservatives -- aside from social brainwashing, women, like men are likely to trend towards social conservatism as we age out of concern for crime and other threats, and because older people become less and less adventurous and less willing to explore and contemplate new ideas....but some of us are exceptions and may notice something wrong with the way things are and turn radical in our old age!

Conservatism is a political doctrine that trends male....no surprise, since regardless of all the blather about equality and rights for the past few decades, modern capitalist society still favours men over women. But, not all women are disadvantaged; just as not all blacks and other visible minorities are imperiled. It largely depends on economic class, so women and POC can buy themselves lots of white privilege.....if they can afford it! And those who can pay the price are likely to more concerned with keeping their money and less concerned with the welfare of others, or more conservative!

Last edited:
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Why yes, the premises you assert about what conservatism is and how it affects women are incorrect. Did that really not occur to you?
Conservatism is inherently concerned with tradition and avoidance of change. Since there are historic and stereotypical models of female involvement in society, it is quite reasonable that conservatism can be seen as generally opposed to promoting egalitarian women's issues.

Reactions: Hollywood