What Defines a Good President?

Dec 2015
Arizona
I hate stating the obvious but will start by saying 'we expect a LOT from our presidents'.
Some might say we expect too much, but WHAT DO WE expect? Should it ALL be about politics and policy OR should we look for something else?

I have this theory that there are TWO sides to each president: Politics and Personality.

James Barber published a well-known study of presidential character in which he studied personalities in order to predict presidential performance. Barber believes that Presidents can be categorized as having "positive" or "negative" attitudes, and as being "active" or "passive." His findings indicate that "positive active" Presidents are more successful than passive/negative ones. For example, Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt had positive active personalities. According to Barber, their personalities cause them to approach the presidency with enthusiasm and a drive to lead and succeed.

This research is controversial, but it is based on the assumption that presidential character and personality are extremely important in determining how successful a President is in office. AND I agree...although intelligence must be part of the equation.

Here are some of my expectations:
*Character and integrity
*A strong vision for this country and our place in the world
*Wisdom
*Strong communication skills
*Ability to work with Congress and compromise
*Crisis management skills
*Wise appointments

Presidents are just men--often flawed--and the poor First Ladies have to go along for the ride. I never envy them.

What do you think? Best presidents? Worst?

Jan 2014
I know there will be eye rolls , but I have always admired Carter and believe he is under rated. I like him because he has integrity and he lived his life in terms of his beliefs. Can not say I agreed with all of his policies, but I think he moved the country in a positive direction.

I like Bush senior for his integrity too. Again, while I didn’t always agree with his politics, he acted in what he believed was in the best interest of the country.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I know there will be eye rolls , but I have always admired Carter and believe he is under rated. I like him because he has integrity and he lived his life in terms of his beliefs. Can not say I agreed with all of his policies, but I think he moved the country in a positive direction.

I like Bush senior for his integrity too. Again, while I didn’t always agree with his politics, he acted in what he believed was in the best interest of the country.

AND there is the key. We should be able to separate the politics and personality.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
What defines a good president is the ability to carry out their limited Article II powers without breaching those powers.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I'm supposin'. I'm supposin' that (hypothetically) the 2020 campaign has NO old guard--no Bernies, no Clintons, no Bidens, no Trumps, no Cruzes or Rubios or Kasichs--- someone you might have heard of but not well known-- someone who has governed a bit, legislated, or come up through SOME rank...some where. This person could be military or judge or cabinet member?? Or CEO? Lawyer?

If you could choose someone like that--someone a bit obscure--a bit unknown--who would it be from each side of the aisle?
Give it your best shot.

Dec 2015
Arizona
What defines a good president is the ability to carry out their limited Article II powers without breaching those powers.

AND who in your opinion HAS been that past president? Who has been a good president, carrying out their limited powers without breaching those powers?

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, J.Q. Adams are the closest. I cannot think of a twentieth or twenty-first century president that would qualify.