What do you believe?

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
garysher said:

You sound very antagonistic toward people of faith.

Why does the age of a religion bother you? If a religion attempts to answer questions about creation and the universe it's bound to be old.

And what would be the benefit of having rules that constantly change?

Because society changes, technology changes, time changes, people's needs change, and our understanding of the world around us change

Mar 2007
Ga
I'm agnostic. But I do think there was a "creator". Even if said "creator" just happens to be a set of fundamental laws of what we refer to as physics.

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
fxashun said:
I'm agnostic. But I do think there was a "creator". Even if said "creator" just happens to be a set of fundamental laws of what we refer to as physics.

Well by that standard I think everyone acknowledges a creator, I think the only argument then is whether or not their was any intelligence behind it...

Mar 2007
Ga
tadpole256 said:
Well by that standard I think everyone acknowledges a creator, I think the only argument then is whether or not their was any intelligence behind it...
Probably not any intelligence that we would fathom. But I do believe there to be intelligence, even if there may or may not be "conscience".

Aug 2010
There is no place for religion in the 21st century

The 21st century should be an age of reason and critical thought. Where can we find a community of people that live by these principles? The scientific community.

In science we are taught to challenge, investigate and re-challenge the prevalent thought of the day and investigate the world around us without fear of what we may find.

In religion adherents are taught to put aside their instinct to seek out the truth and accept as truth things that fly in the face of common sense. Those who refuse to accept the doctrine are dismissed to an afterlife in hell.

I ultimately hope that religion will go the way of Ogres, werewolves and other things supernatural . Into folklore as nothing more that fairy tales.

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
AlphaMike505 said:
The 21st century should be an age of reason and critical thought. Where can we find a community of people that live by these principles? The scientific community.

In science we are taught to challenge, investigate and re-challenge the prevalent thought of the day and investigate the world around us without fear of what we may find.

In religion adherents are taught to put aside their instinct to seek out the truth and accept as truth things that fly in the face of common sense. Those who refuse to accept the doctrine are dismissed to an afterlife in hell.

I ultimately hope that religion will go the way of Ogres, werewolves and other things supernatural . Into folklore as nothing more that fairy tales.

I could not agree more! Welcome to the board...

Mar 2007
Ga
AlphaMike505 said:

That's a pretty optimistic hope, but considering how many people in the world depend on various religious faiths to guide them, I fear a world without religion would lead to a much worse situation than we have today.

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
fxashun said:
That's a pretty optimistic hope, but considering how many people in the world depend on various religious faiths to guide them, I fear a world without religion would lead to a much worse situation than we have today.

I think because so many people rely on religion to guide them, a world without it would be an infinitely more reasonable and humane place.

Mar 2007
Ga
tadpole256 said:
I think because so many people rely on religion to guide them, a world without it would be an infinitely more reasonable and humane place.
I disagree. That assumes humans have an innate ability to get along. I honestly, I don't think that's the case. No matter what, they'll find differences between one group to another. Even the most homogeneous populations find differences among themselves to create conflict. If not religion, it's class, skin hue, or something as arbitrary as hair color.

Hell it could probably be argued that this country would be totally different were it not for the institution of race based slavery to galvanize the differing nationalities of White people into "Americans". It gave an easy group to demonize.