What does it mean to be a conservative/Republican?

Jun 2013
Ohio
I never use the “C-word”. They behave just the opposite. I think being a Republican today means that you unrealistically wish to regress into the past. That is an impossible. Ergo their miserable demeanors.

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
What's in a political label? People are only going to see what they want to see. Hear what they're told to believe. And speak what they are told.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2016
Alabama
I can imagine a conservative republican loaning money to his employees at a higher interest rate than from and bank and he tells them what a great deal it is.....

Aug 2014
Earth
Conservative comes from the word conserve, which is to save. When you leave your house, you turn off all the lights and air conditioning. Because it conserves energy, and one saves money on their electrical bills. Most people want to go to the place where things are the cheapest price to save money. Conserve means to save.

Marijuana legalization is actually a conservative viewpoint. Stop the War on Drugs and stop paying cops, courts, lawyers and judges to put people in prison for smoking a plant (and ruining the person's life and employment opportunities).

I think we confuse conservative with traditional. Traditionalists do not want to change the status quo. Traditionalists are fine with things the way they are. Someone for example who doesn't want their child to marry someone out of their race is a traditionalist, not necessarily a conservative. I think there should be a new definition to seperate what one thinks on social or economic lines.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Here's what the Urban Dictionary has to say:

conservative:
1) One who espouses a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change.

2) One who believes in less government being better government.

3) One who believes in such "outmoded" ideas as civil liberties (freedom of speech, separation of church and state, right to keep and bear arms, that kind of thing)

4) One for whom the Republican Party no longer truly speaks.

5) a word that today's so-called "conservatives" don't know the definition of.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

conservative:
1) One who espouses a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change.

3) One who believes in such "outmoded" ideas as civil liberties (freedom of speech, separation of church and state, right to keep and bear arms, that kind of thing)

Number three jumped up at me till I read number 4.

Dec 2012
California

conservative:

LOL, the Urban dictionary? Numbers 3 and 4 on your list should have been placed in the definition of Liberalism.