What has gone wrong with American democracy?

Apr 2019
America
Well republican propaganda is very effective.

They labeled the democrats the party of the minorities. No self respecting white working class man is going to vote for that!

Somehow the republican propaganda machine convinced the working/middle class that their policies were good for them. Nothing could be further from the truth.
How did Obama get elected?

Jun 2005
Corpus Christi, Texas
What has gone wrong with American democracy? What urgent actions should be taken to rectify the flaws and improve the democratic system?
Your first mistake is calling America 'a democracy'. The Founding Fathers went to great lengths to ensure that we were a republic and not a democracy. In fact, the word democracy does not appear in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or any other of our founding documents. The Framers knew that in its pure form democracy could be dangerous.
The United States is not a democracy — and it wasn't ever intended to be one.

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Oregon
Even a notorious pimp was inspired to associate himself with the head of state by calling himself “The Trump of Pahrump”, and got elected to Nevada’s state assembly after death. What has gone wrong with American democracy? What urgent actions should be taken to rectify the flaws and improve the democratic system?

Nevada ruled from the grave
People complain because of how often I have said what has gone with our democracy is the 1958 National Defense Education Act that replaced the education for democracy we had with education for a technological society with unknown values. Democracy is a social order with a set of values but I don't if anyone here could list 5 of them.

Government is only one aspect of democracy. There is an important relationship between family and democracy. And we should replace the autocratic model of industry with the democratic model. I think if we had both education for democracy and used the democratic model for industry, we would be doing pretty well. At least then we might have decent discussions of our democracy and what it has to do with science.

Feb 2014
Oregon
How did Obama get elected?

I am very glad Obama was elected but I think, considering what happened to the economy under Bush, a turkey could have won that election. Historically when things go bad, people want to get rid of the top guy, be he a king or the president.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Your first mistake is calling America 'a democracy'. The Founding Fathers went to great lengths to ensure that we were a republic and not a democracy. In fact, the word democracy does not appear in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or any other of our founding documents. The Framers knew that in its pure form democracy could be dangerous.
The United States is not a democracy — and it wasn't ever intended to be one.
Thank you for proving my point. Without education for democracy, people don't know what it is. However, when we entered WWI and WWII schools, the media and book publishers made sure we what our democracy is all about and why it must be defended.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Thank you for proving my point. Without education for democracy, people don't know what it is. However, when we entered WWI and WWII schools, the media and book publishers made sure we what our democracy is all about and why it must be defended.
America was founded as a Republic. But from the looks of this post, if you really believe in democracy, you lost the argument.

But, really, factually we are guaranteed a Republican Form of Government in the Constitution (See Article 4 Section 4 of the Constitution.) For all your blathering, you forgot one small thing: the word democracy is NOT in the Constitution - neither is the concept

Reactions: jaaaman
May 2018
USA
First off, the USA has never been a democracy. The USA is a republic. Secondly our system is ridiculous and archaic. The electoral college was created for many reasons which seemed good at the time, but at it's core was an attempt to palliate the scummy slave states into supporting the American Revolution, hence to this day we have a minority of Americans electing Presidents occasionally due to the stupid system in place. Inbred, ignoble, ignorant redneck welfare queens in America's "shithole states" have more electoral power than people who actually WORK for a living.

Reactions: Clara007
May 2018
USA
Not the first time a dead man was elected. I remember many years ago a candidate for congress in Mississippi died in a plane crash not long before the election. He STILL WON !!!
To be fair if it was a Mississippi politician who went down with the crash, chances are it improved the human gene pool ( he was probably an inbred Republican moron).

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
First off, the USA has never been a democracy. The USA is a republic. Secondly our system is ridiculous and archaic. The electoral college was created for many reasons which seemed good at the time, but at it's core was an attempt to palliate the scummy slave states into supporting the American Revolution, hence to this day we have a minority of Americans electing Presidents occasionally due to the stupid system in place. Inbred, ignoble, ignorant redneck welfare queens in America's "shithole states" have more electoral power than people who actually WORK for a living.
I think that if we use generalizations, then what is true of one state, is probably going to be true of every state in America. The following link shows a map of Georgia and how the last vote for governor was split up:

Georgia Governor Election Results

If you look closely, Stacey Abrams, the Democrat, got her 48 + percent of the votes in small, congested areas where you have a lot of non-white and immigrants all packed in like sardines. This stuff lends itself to a lot of debatable discussion. In metro Atlanta, there are MANY people. So, it takes quite a few to make a dent in the percentage of welfarites compared to smaller counties. For example, the county I live in has nearly a million residents. Lumpkin county by contrast has 33,000 people (there are 159 counties.) You say those people are rednecks and so forth, but reality check: the bulk of the whites live in areas where they do farming, logging, and transportation jobs (really hard work.)

In metro Atlanta, the majority of jobs are in retail (malls and shopping centers), the food industry (esp. fast food) and warehouse jobs.

If we were a straight democracy, the MickeyDs guy and the janitor would call the farmer and the big rig mechanic boy and not respect any Right they had because majority rules. When majority rules, the haves vote themselves into a life of luxury at the expense of the class that produces goods and provides services.

You think that those who are producing aren't smart and they don't work hard, but when a farmer here put out flyers, ads in local papers, registered jobs with the state Dept. of Labor, you didn't see anybody from the city coming to get off welfare (the guy provides living quarters during the seasons when laborers are needed.) You may very well believe what you post, but if you were an employer here, trying to get people to WORK (not just have the job, but show up and WORK it), your outlook would be a LOT different. I promise you that.

REPUBLIC VS. DEMOCRACY, U.S.ARMY ANALYSIS

Last edited: