What has gone wrong with American democracy?

Apr 2019
America
The media and really stupid people whose sole motive to vote for him was to be able to tell their grandkids one day that they voted for the first black president.
So white voters put him in office. That is all I was saying.

Reactions: LTP
Dec 2016
Canada
The media and really stupid people whose sole motive to vote for him was to be able to tell their grandkids one day that they voted for the first black president.
Unfortunately, you're probably right about a lot of liberals! It's a kind of "cheap grace" for those who want to pretend to be "woke" - vote for a black guy who's carrying out a standard white agenda.

Feb 2014
Oregon
First off, the USA has never been a democracy. The USA is a republic. Secondly our system is ridiculous and archaic. The electoral college was created for many reasons which seemed good at the time, but at it's core was an attempt to palliate the scummy slave states into supporting the American Revolution, hence to this day we have a minority of Americans electing Presidents occasionally due to the stupid system in place. Inbred, ignoble, ignorant redneck welfare queens in America's "shithole states" have more electoral power than people who actually WORK for a living.
Actually, the US began as a democracy when there was literacy in Greek and Roman classics. Unfortunately, we stopped using education to transmit our culture and we can no longer defend our democratic principles but the book, "The Founding Myth Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American" by Andre L. Seidel may help correct the problem.

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
Actually, the US began as a democracy when there was literacy in Greek and Roman classics. Unfortunately, we stopped using education to transmit our culture and we can no longer defend our democratic principles but the book, "The Founding Myth Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American" by Andre L. Seidel may help correct the problem.
Unlike other critics, I will say my initial impression is that the book is probably a fairy tale. However, I do intend to look it over for accuracy.

Then I would suggest that you read a couple of books:

The Christian History of the United States Constitution of the United States of America - Christian Self Government by Verna M. Hall

The Rewriting of America's History by Catherine Millard

The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel

In addition, I would point out that in 1630 (only a decade after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock), John Winthrop gave a sermon aboard the Arbella as it was inbound to the New World. It would be a Christian Israelite sermon that dwarfed Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. I say that because more than 300 years after its delivery, many of today's leaders have quoted from it. Those include both JFK and Ronald Reagan. Here's a link just in case:

http://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf

America was founded as a Republic.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Even a notorious pimp was inspired to associate himself with the head of state by calling himself “The Trump of Pahrump”, and got elected to Nevada’s state assembly after death. What has gone wrong with American democracy? What urgent actions should be taken to rectify the flaws and improve the democratic system?

Nevada ruled from the grave
I must have missed the latest OP on how perfect our democracy Republic is. Did anyone else catch that? If so, please post so I can review.
Winston Churchill: 'Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…'
No nit-picking, please, over Churchill's loose use of the word "democracy"...because we are BOTH a Republic and a Democracy. A common definition of “democracy” is, “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives”. To be accurate, America is not a DIRECT DEMOCRACY but I digress.......

Yep--we're a mess right now and it's not the first time. We are a mess because our leadership STINKS. We are a mess because we have a boatload of problems to solve, starting with our corrupt White House.
We the people get it wrong sometimes....errr...OFTEN.
We make lousy choices. We are extremely self-serving. We elect people who have absolutely no business governing and that not only includes DEAD people, but a LONG list of (mostly men) who have been indicted and convicted of crimes before, during and after their campaigns/election.
This will make you spit-up but take a peek: GovTrack.us - Congressional Misconduct Database

Anyone who says America is perfect is lying. Most of us WANT to fix the problems we just can't agree HOW to fix the problems. So we sit on our hands.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
How did Obama get elected?
THe Supreme court handed the 2000 election to George Bush, giving the GOP hegemony for the first time since the Great Depression.
Bush and the GOP, turned a surplus into a record deficit and plunged the economy into the Great Recession.
At that point the Democrats could put up whoever they wanted, they had the election sewed up, and they chose Obama.

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
Apr 2015
Stockport, Cheshire. UK
Speaking as an outsider, it seems the worst problem the US political system faces is the amount of money involved
Thanks to this the Mega Rich have a stranglehold on the US political system so the politicans aways pander to protecting the wealth of the rich and multi national corporations over the vast majority of its voters.

Reactions: skews13 and RNG
Aug 2019
De Congo
Even a notorious pimp was inspired to associate himself with the head of state by calling himself “The Trump of Pahrump”, and got elected to Nevada’s state assembly after death. What has gone wrong with American democracy? What urgent actions should be taken to rectify the flaws and improve the democratic system?

Nevada ruled from the grave
What IS so wrong with the USA...?
The number one problem is overpopulation. Take care of that and a lot of our problems become much more manageable.
Let's create generations of Americans who are less sharing, have less energy [obese], drug addled, no time to spare, less patience, lacking money and no desire to raise large families..[or any kids at all] and within the next 100 years we might see a very welcome reduction.
Since I was born the USA population has more than doubled and our quality of life / standard of living has suffered in many ways. Those who are recently born into this mess have no point of reference to appreciate a time before so many people find themselves living like canned sardines in their 300 unit apartments and on the highways bumper to bumper every day.

Reactions: Athena
Feb 2014
Oregon
I must have missed the latest OP on how perfect our democracy Republic is. Did anyone else catch that? If so, please post so I can review.
Winston Churchill: 'Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…'
No nit-picking, please, over Churchill's loose use of the word "democracy"...because we are BOTH a Republic and a Democracy. A common definition of “democracy” is, “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives”. To be accurate, America is not a DIRECT DEMOCRACY but I digress.......

Yep--we're a mess right now and it's not the first time. We are a mess because our leadership STINKS. We are a mess because we have a boatload of problems to solve, starting with our corrupt White House.
We the people get it wrong sometimes....errr...OFTEN.
We make lousy choices. We are extremely self-serving. We elect people who have absolutely no business governing and that not only includes DEAD people, but a LONG list of (mostly men) who have been indicted and convicted of crimes before, during and after their campaigns/election.
This will make you spit-up but take a peek: GovTrack.us - Congressional Misconduct Database

Anyone who says America is perfect is lying. Most of us WANT to fix the problems we just can't agree HOW to fix the problems. So we sit on our hands.
Andrew L. Seidel provides a pretty good explanation of why so many Christians have a problem understanding the democracy of the US in his book "THE FOUNDING MYTH Why Christian Nationalism is Un-American". The worst enemy of our democracy may be well-meaning Christians. Andrew says we should stop worrying about hurting their feelings and start defending our democracy before it is too late.